Rhode V Kilmacud

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Rhode V Kilmacud

Post by Bord na Mona man »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 43321.html

Rhode focused and looking to make amends

LEINSTER SFC CLUB FINAL: NINE WEEKS is a long time to wait for a Leinster club football final, but in terms of winning it, Rhode’s wait feels more like an eternity. Sunday’s showdown against Kilmacud Crokes – twice postponed last month due to the weather – marks their third Leinster final appearance in five years, and despite being renowned as the heavyweights of Offaly club football, they’ve yet to taste outright victory.

They’ve been challengers throughout the history of the competition, from the early 1970s when they boasted such players as Paddy McCormack, the two-time All-Ireland winner with Offaly, better known as the Ironman from Rhode.

But while Offaly club Gracefield in fact won the first Leinster club title in 1970, and Walsh Island and Ferbane have won it since, Rhode are still searching, believing their day will come.

They probably thought their day had come two years ago, when also playing Kilmacud in the final. They had the Dublin champions under big pressure for long periods, but still lost out in the end. Kilmacud went on to win the All-Ireland.

Two years before that Rhode also lost the Leinster final to Moorefield.

That’s what is at stake on Sunday – the chance to make amends for recent defeats and finally capture the coveted prize. It’s no secret that Kilmacud are without several first-choice players, but Rhode aren’t being distracted by that.

Long-serving manager Tom Coffey is concentrating purely on his own game plan, which will be boosted by the return to the starting line-up of Roy Malone.

Nine weeks ago, in their Leinster semi-final against Skryne, Malone came on with 10 minutes to play, and promptly finished the decisive goal – giving Rhode the 2-11 to 1-10 victory. Malone’s goal was significant in other ways too: in 1997, he scored the goal that secured Offaly an unexpected win over Meath in the Leinster minor final. Coffey was also on that team.

“This is the third Leinster final for a lot of our players,” says Coffey, “and you’d hope they’d have learned something each time. It’s not new ground. But at the end of the day Kilmacud are one of the top clubs in the country. They won the All-Ireland two years ago with the same management, and we’ve no doubt they’ll be a big challenge.

“We just hope we’ll get into it okay, and maybe get a break on the day.

“Right now we have everyone ready and well for Sunday. Roy had been out injured before the Skryne game. He’s 100 per cent fit now. It’s been a long time coming round, but I think it means the lads are just looking forward to it even more now. And to do themselves justice.”

Like Kilmacud, Rhode have been trying to stay focused on a game they were originally meant to play on December 5th.

With Christmas and New Year in between the snow and ice that can’t have been easy: “Obviously with the conditions there was nothing we could do there for a while,” says Coffey. “And there were no teams available to play either. And they had to mind themselves over Christmas, food wise, and alcohol wise. But we’d like to think we came through all that okay.

“But in the last couple of weeks we’ve had a couple of practice games, against the Offaly seniors, and the under-21s, so we’ve been trying our best in the circumstances. But I think they’ve kept the focus alright. They’re a great bunch, 30 very committed lads.”

The key to Rhode’s chances on Sunday will be consistency over the hour, a lack of which has been their downfall in the past.

They dominated Skryne for the first half of the semi-final, with Niall McNamee leading the way up front, before suddenly letting their Meath opponents right back into the game.

Sunday represents the chance to put that right, and with that claim the one title that they’ve so far let slip.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Similar to a couple of years ago although the fadeout began 5 mins before the end of the first half this time. Some points from today:

* Alan Mc caught no ball today and any ball he did pick up he gave most of it away to Kilmacud players. Sending off summed him up.
* Dunne caught mighty ball in first half but didn't get a hand on it in second half.
* Pity Niall didn't flick the rebounded penalty past the keeper with his open hand (like he did v Westmeath in 08 in Tullamore), there was still a chance at that stage.
* Anton is a talented footballer but if his constant petulance and unneccesary aggression contines I don't see him having a future on the Offaly team. He needs to calm down or he is likely to get hurt squaring up to guys twice his size. Cribbin needs to work on this with him.
* Rhode abandoned the quick ball in the second half and Pascal spent most of it in his own half forcing Niall out the field in search of ball when he needs to be close to goal. Rhode second half attacks were slow and ponderous allowing Kilmacud to swarm back.
*It didn't appear that the Rhode sideline did anything to try and counter when the game started to get away from them.
*Even with the penalty miss and Nial hitting cross bar the best team won out.

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

bracknaghboy wrote:Similar to a couple of years ago although the fadeout began 5 mins before the end of the first half this time. Some points from today:

* Alan Mc caught no ball today and any ball he did pick up he gave most of it away to Kilmacud players. Sending off summed him up.
* Dunne caught mighty ball in first half but didn't get a hand on it in second half.
* Pity Niall didn't flick the rebounded penalty past the keeper with his open hand (like he did v Westmeath in 08 in Tullamore), there was still a chance at that stage.
* Anton is a talented footballer but if his constant petulance and unneccesary aggression contines I don't see him having a future on the Offaly team. He needs to calm down or he is likely to get hurt squaring up to guys twice his size. Cribbin needs to work on this with him.
* Rhode abandoned the quick ball in the second half and Pascal spent most of it in his own half forcing Niall out the field in search of ball when he needs to be close to goal. Rhode second half attacks were slow and ponderous allowing Kilmacud to swarm back.
*It didn't appear that the Rhode sideline did anything to try and counter when the game started to get away from them.
*Even with the penalty miss and Nial hitting cross bar the best team won out.

Id safely day i agree with 98% of what you just said. Only thing is about the rhode sidline etc.... There was nobody to bring in to make a difference. That is what has been their downfall in recent years.

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

You have it right Bracknagh boy. Completely outplayed in the second half and no impact sub to come on. Roy malones miss was terrible

Very poor losers shown by some of the mouthing at the end especially from pascal and anton and mcnamees red card

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Hard luck Rhode.
Kilmacud are the masters of the 2nd half lock down, so today's events are by no means surprising.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

The only, slim, positive from today's game is that unlike two years ago, Rhode were actually outplayed today and won't be looking back on this thinking "what if". They looked good for the first fifteen minutes, but after that Kilmacud dominated most sectors of the field and really crushed Rhode's attempts at attacking.

Bracknaghboy got most of the aspects of the game summed up fairly well, and I think that Rhode's lack of depth hurt them even in terms of one or two outfield players not being up to the same standard. It wasn't just the lack of bench options that killed them.

Once Niall got taken away from goals, their threat was hugely neutralised and from early in the second half, even though the deficit never got over a goal, they looked dead and buried. It's a pity, but they just hit their glass ceiling in this game.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ironmike
Junior C

Post by ironmike »

Rhode were outplayed in the second half at midfield. I felt the turing point in the game was when niall hit the bar and just after that a kilmacud player had the ball in their own corner, with the 4 rhode players swarming around him. The Ref gave a free out (which i thought was a free in) and kilmacud went down the field and got a point, that was a massive blow, it put kilmacud 4 pts up at this stage and it looked to have killed the Rhode. I cannot understand why pascal has to be out the field to pick up handy ball, where he should be inside where he would cause damage. the better team won and this rhode team reminds me a bit like offaly when playing well, they great but when the game gets tight the ball it slow in getting up the field and we get it hard to score.

uibhfaillian
Junior A

Post by uibhfaillian »

Was watchin that today. Rhode were second best, am not sure even if they had scored from the pen near the end that they would've got back on terms. They gave their best shot, but I'd say Kilmacud could well go on and win the All-Ireland now.

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

Fargo Boyle wrote:Very poor losers shown by some of the mouthing at the end especially from pascal and anton and mcnamees red card
There was a bit of poor form from some of the winning team too. The Dubs are back to their oul pointing at the scoreboard antics.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Lads I wouldnt be too hard on Rhodes discipline to be honest. Anton Sullivan was disgraceful I have to say. I think I said it a long time ago on this site that he was going to get the mother of all beatings some day because of the way he carries on. The young lad is far too cocky, and I know a Rhode player who has told me that straight up. Outside him though I think in general they kept their cool pretty well when it must have been terribly frustrating. Lets not forget Kilmacud are a very sneery shower and quiet a bit of gamesmanship went on.

Now as for the loss. Midfield was completely over run second half. This had a huge bearing. I dont think Rhode had anybody on the line that would of had an impact but I think tactically they got it terribly wrong. Why do they get so negative in these big leinster games. Pascal is a full forward and nowhere else. They were destroying KIlmacud with him and Niall in there, then its change tactic time for second half and pascal drops deep. This has a double effect. One, Rhode start to play zonal, picking the closest man to them which left too many people forgetting about their man. Two, the supply dried up for Niall and he is pulled to the 40. Game over, Kilmacud were bricking it with those two lads inside, and then Rhode's management give them a massive boost.

Rhode made some terrible silly mistakes, they should of been leading by 5 or 6 at half time. Darby had a great chance to bury a second goal but opted for point. Then the crossbar and penalty/Roys fluff was just very unlucky. They might not have been the better team on the day but they still could of won it.
Just wondering was it just me or was the referee terrible yesterday. Not saying it cost them the game but cost them a few scores all the same.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Ultimately, Rhode were well beaten today, but will still look back on this game with regret. Aside from the late penalty (which, if it went in, would've rattled most teams, coming at that stage in the game), they'll look back at the turnovers and scores that they gifted Kilmacud. Too many cheap scores on a day when they found scores hard to come by.

There's no doubt nowadays that Rhode's threat comes from Niall McNamee and Anton Sullivan. With Niall drifting away from goals and free's harder to come-by for Anton, Rhode's scoring threat was greatly reduced. Only 2 points scored in the second-half was never going to be enough to get them over the line. There didn't really seem to be a Plan 'B', but I'm not going to be critical here, because very very few club teams seem to have such a thing.
Long John wrote:Why do they get so negative in these big leinster games. Pascal is a full forward and nowhere else. They were destroying KIlmacud with him and Niall in there, then its change tactic time for second half and pascal drops deep.
This has been happening for some time now - and it's not just in Leinster games. In the last 2 County Finals, the same tactic has been used - it's the way Rhode play. In this years final, Paschal looked more like he was playing as a half-back. He still has great feet and took his goal well yesterday, but as an out-and-out forward who can win his own ball, beat a man, etc, Paschal is not the footballer he was.

That's not a dig. He's played an enormous amount of football and isn't getting any younger. He's probably trying to adapt his game to suit, because to be fair to him, he's still very intelligent with the ball.

At the other end of the pitch, Kilmacud racked-up an impressive tally for a game played in the depths of Winter and although I didn't count the wides, they had quite a number of those too. There's no doubt that they're a very strong outfit - perhaps not wily enough for Cross, but time will tell.

Even with some envy of Rhode's local success over the last few years, I take my hat off to them. They've played in some big games and beaten some really good teams (Portlaoise a couple of years ago in O'Connor Park springs to mind). Reaching 3 Leinster Finals in such a short space of time requires savage commitment and effort.

You do have to wonder how much is left in the tank though. Some of the older players have been around now since the break-through in 1998 - most of them playing with the County during that period as well. The worry for Rhode will be how to replace guys like Roy Malone, Paschal and Alan McNamee, when they eventually decide to call it a day - or even as they start to become less influential. Right now, there's no evidence to suggest that guys are waiting in the wings to take their places.

Also, I wouldn't be going too hard on them regarding sportsmanship or being bad losers either - sometimes it's hard to remain totally composed when you want something that badly.

Finally, the two-phase format of the Championship will offer Rhode a great chance of a deserved rest. Realistically, they could set their focus on the second-half of the Championship and still comfortably qualify. Come the shortening evenings in late September / early October, it won't be a surprise to see them marching round O'Connor Park behind the band.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Fargo Boyle wrote: Very poor losers shown by some of the mouthing at the end especially from pascal and anton and mcnamees red card
What the F##K are you on about, Anton nearly got killed in the second half with no protection from the ref at all who was brutal to say the least. Vaughan should have been sent off, how many times during the game when a free was awarded did he kick the ball away, its a pity that Alan did'nt break his jaw. Crokes are a sneery shower but will win the All-Ireland again
Be careful out their

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

naasmanxrhode wrote:
Fargo Boyle wrote: Very poor losers shown by some of the mouthing at the end especially from pascal and anton and mcnamees red card
What the F##K are you on about, Anton nearly got killed in the second half with no protection from the ref at all who was brutal to say the least. Vaughan should have been sent off, how many times during the game when a free was awarded did he kick the ball away, its a pity that Alan did'nt break his jaw. Crokes are a sneery shower but will win the All-Ireland again

Not really helping your case with that kind of stuff.

Anton is a teenage footballer who has grown up being the best player on most teams he has played on - it was always likely that he'd develop a cocky streak, and a little bit of that is no harm. However yesterday I felt he ran into a lot of trouble himself, taking lads on when it wasn't really on - the likes of the giveaway on the sideline being a case in point. Any footballer, fast or slow, young or old, is going to get a lot of heavy tackling if he keeps carrying the ball into the tackle. He is fast and he has a great change of direction, but you can't use the same trick every time. He'll need to learn that, and he will need to control the reactive side of himself because it's now public knowledge that he can be needled. I'd say lads like the Darbys or Niall Mac hear very little mouthing during a game because people know it's going to be a waste of breath. Anton just has to learn that, and he'll be a very good county footballer.

Regarding the ref, I wouldn't have said he was that bad, and anything he did was balanced out by the awarding of the penalty, which at the time I said was no foul and I still can't see one. I agree with the consensus on this board regarding the big call almost immediately after when Rhode had Kilmacud bottled up and a free out was given, however in general there were a few Rhode players guilty of silly tackling. I felt particularly sorry for Brian Darby - in two instances he had his direct opponent squared up with nowhere to go and another player came charging in to give away a stupid free.

I think in the midst of all this, Rhode deserve a lot of praise for what they've become - one of the top ten club teams in Ireland, who yesterday came second best to probably the best club team of the moment. They will lose players in the coming years certainly, but right now their most important footballers are in their prime. Of the three mentioned yesterday, Roy Malone only played a bit part, Alan McNamee had an absolute nightmare of a game and while Paschal was good in the first half and remains effective, that kind of playmaker role is one that can be done even as the legs slow up a little bit. I certainly don't expect them to drop off the scene anytime soon.
Last edited by Lone Shark on Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Oceans 15
County player

Post by Oceans 15 »

naasmanxrhode wrote:

I would have to agree with you on this..The incident near the end down in the right hand corner was a disgrace... The full back basically came across and hit Anton a box straight into the face in front of the ref. When the ref didn't give him even a free never mind dish out even a yellow or red card Anton reacted... I would have done the same thing myself...I was sitting down that end of the stand and you could see his cheek was gone red from the box....

A feature of Kilmacud the second half was anytime Rhode looked like they would get a bit of momentum going a Kilmacud player would go down injured or kick the ball away...

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Oceans 15 wrote:
naasmanxrhode wrote:

I would have to agree with you on this..The incident near the end down in the right hand corner was a disgrace... The full back basically came across and hit Anton a box straight into the face in front of the ref. When the ref didn't give him even a free never mind dish out even a yellow or red card Anton reacted... I would have done the same thing myself...I was sitting down that end of the stand and you could see his cheek was gone red from the box....

A feature of Kilmacud the second half was anytime Rhode looked like they would get a bit of momentum going a Kilmacud player would go down injured or kick the ball away...
Yes totally agree, Kilmacud were very cute about lying down when Rhode were stringing moves together. I think they knew a stop start game suited them. When Rhode got moving quick ball, kilmacud were in all sorts of trouble. I thought the number 11 for kilmacud lay down an awful amount for a big lad and Burke was also play acting a bit. Kilmacud kicked the ball away 3 times that I can remember clearly in front of the ref and nothing was done about it.
As for Anton, he was fouled a few times and didnt get a free, he also took some silly options, but to be fair he also brought alot of trouble on himself, hes far too mouthy.