DRUMCULLEN THROUGH TO LEINSTER FINAL

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Long John
All Star

Re: DRUMCULLEN THROUGH TO LEINSTER FINAL

Post by Long John »

alltheway wrote:I just take issue with all this rough house play that seemed to happen. Drumcullen were beaten soundly by a better team, granted they didnt hurl to anywhere close to their ability. But to accuse them of resorting to thuggery is simply false and untrue. One match where tempers flared against tullamore shouldnt always have to be highlighted. Yesterdays game was quite physical, however there were no maliced, ill timed strokes or anything of the sort. Lockes, should have been a man down in the first have, a yellow card to there full back for a handle of the hurl into Ray Gath's 'tender spot' and minutes later a wild pull on Conor Gath, where the referee called the player out for what seemed like his second yellow, however, after much begging from the player he went to the umpire who said he didnt see it and the player was left on.
I'll accuse them of thuggery if I like because Ive seen it more than once from that crop of players. I am not saying they are all tramps but there is quiet a few there alright.
Interesting you use Ray Gath as an example of getting hardship in the game. I am not suprised, he is notorious for his mouthing. I spoke recently to a county player from another club who told me Gath had told his brother before the throw in that he "would break his jaw". Maybe last Sunday he picked on the wrong man to mouth to.
And dont make light of that Tullamore game. It wasnt "tempers flared", it was men out to try and seriously injure opponents.

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

[quote="Long John"]I'll accuse them of thuggery if I like because Ive seen it more than once from that crop of players. I am not saying they are all tramps but there is quiet a few there alright.
Interesting you use Ray Gath as an example of getting hardship in the game. I am not suprised, he is notorious for his mouthing. I spoke recently to a county player from another club who told me Gath had told his brother before the throw in that he "would break his jaw". Maybe last Sunday he picked on the wrong man to mouth to.
And dont make light of that Tullamore game. It wasnt "tempers flared", it was men out to try and seriously injure opponents.[/quote]

I'm sure there is one or two you could pick out for some unsporting behaviour, but if you're going to paint most of the team with this brush then give us names? Does every team not have one or two who have hot tempers? If you name all the Drumcullen players who are "tramps" then I'll give you a few "thugs" from other teams in the county including your own!

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Beirut I said "quiet a few" behaved like tramps. Not all as I pointed out. And no I wont be naming names. I think its well known who they are. And one particular surname pops up alot as it happens.

If more of them behaved like Nicholas Lawlor they would be a far more sporting team. He's a chap that plays the game sportingly and doesnt have to get involved in the rubbish that others do.

Theres alot to be said about playing the game fairly and in the right spirit. Just because you have a hurl in your hand doesnt give you the right to use it like a billhook.

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

"quite a few" would give the indication that you mean more than 5-6? I would agree that there is one, maybe 2 at a push and that's why I wanted you to name the others so I could defend them. Nicky Lalor is most definately a very fair hurler, he got a yellow card Sunday (I was sure he got two), does that mean he is a "tramp" also?

Maybe you should lay-off Drumcullen about this incident which happened a few years ago, move on man!!

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Beirut, read my comment again, I stated Lawlor is a sporting player.

Yes 5 or 6 would be about right.

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

[quote="Long John"]Beirut, read my comment again, I stated Lawlor is a sporting player.

Yes 5 or 6 would be about right.[/quote]

5 or 6, I think you're having a laugh. If you can't name them, then you're just trying to rise people here with your comments.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

beaten by a far better team, a lower graded team and a team that just hurled fair and true.take the beaten and move on.best of luck to lockes in all ireland fair play to the junior club