Club Hurling Managers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
allstar2010
All Star

Club Hurling Managers

Post by allstar2010 »

Well lads, as the new year is now upon us and clubs are starting to think about going back training shortly can anyone list the new managers that will be parading the sidelines during the senior hurling championship. I heard PatJoe Whelahan is to take charge of KK and I could be wrong but did I hear Dinny Cahill is to train St.Rynagh's this year? If this is true, it could be a very shrewd move by the Banagher committee. Anyway if anyone can post a few of the other managers it would be much appreciated.

townman
All Star

Re: Club Hurling Managers

Post by townman »

here's a strange one and its not at senior level, a friend from kilkenny was telling me that Tommy Buggy
who trained Dicksbro back to senior level in kilkenny and an all ireland semil-final this year has left Dicksbro
and is on his way to Gracefield at junior B he was over them about 5 year's ago and is suppose to be going back
to them strange move if ever there was one.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

townman wrote:here's a strange one and its not at senior level, a friend from kilkenny was telling me that Tommy Buggy
who trained Dicksbro back to senior level in kilkenny and an all ireland semil-final this year has left Dicksbro
and is on his way to Gracefield at junior B he was over them about 5 year's ago and is suppose to be going back
That must be just a case of he's living in the area and doesn't want to be trekking all the way down to Kilkenny. The day Junior B teams are importing managers is the day we may as well all hang our hats at it.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Lone Shark wrote:
townman wrote:here's a strange one and its not at senior level, a friend from kilkenny was telling me that Tommy Buggy
That must be just a case of he's living in the area and doesn't want to be trekking all the way down to Kilkenny. The day Junior B teams are importing managers is the day we may as well all hang our hats at it.
No he is not living in the area he lives in Castlecomer in kilkenny where he is from as i said he was over them a few years ago and they were junior then
he was also over the carlow minors that beat offaly and got to leinster final a few years ago we hung our hats on that one as well :oops:

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

I heard that Dinny Cahill isn't training Rynaghs full time as he is still over Anrtrim. Seems like a strange situation to me, you're either a full time manager/coach or not. I can't see Cahill training the team and then having no input come championship day. Maybe they have a proper schedule put in place but it could all end in tears. Anyways IMO I can't see Rynaghs winning a county championship, in fact I predict they wont make semi-final.

Can we try and fill in a list of managment teams for the year:

Coolderry: Ken Hogan with David Dooley and...
Tullamore:
Kilcormac/Killoughey: Pad Joe Whelehan with...
Kinnitty:
St Rynaghs: Dinny Cahill with
Shinrone: Joachim Kelly with
Birr: Is Paul Murphy getting another year?
Seir Keiran:
Lusmagh:
Drumcullen:
Shamrocks:
Belmont:

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Belmont is Nicky Claffey anyway - haven't heard yet if he's making any change of selectors.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lone Shark wrote:
Surely this is good news for hurling in Gracefield? Anything that helps generate a bit of interest in hurling this end of the county is positive in my view. Despite being finalists 2 yrs ago and semi-finalists last year in the Junior B hurling in Gracefield is struggling to keep going and I think its a shame. 10 years ago they were intermediate and had a junior team. Best of luck to them.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

bracknaghboy wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:
Surely this is good news for hurling in Gracefield? Anything that helps generate a bit of interest in hurling this end of the county is positive in my view. Despite being finalists 2 yrs ago and semi-finalists last year in the Junior B hurling in Gracefield is struggling to keep going and I think its a shame. 10 years ago they were intermediate and had a junior team. Best of luck to them.
yes it is good news for gracefield if the footballers showed as much heart and determination as the hurlers did over
the last 20 years the would have won a senior title or two.

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

Coolderry: Ken Hogan with David Dooley and...
Tullamore:
Kilcormac/Killoughey: Pad Joe Whelehan with... James Buckley and Seamus Gleeson
Kinnitty:
St Rynaghs: Dinny Cahill with Roy Mannion as Manager, Cahill as Coach
Shinrone: Joachim Kelly with
Birr: Is Paul Murphy getting another year? Yes
Seir Keiran: Mike Ryan
Lusmagh: Mick Mulrooney
Drumcullen: Paddy Kirwan
Shamrocks:
Belmont: Nicky Claffey

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Seir Keiran: Mike Ryan

Who's he or where's he from?

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

I think he is from loughrea, he was involved in various inderage seups in Galway, and also trained NUIG to the Fitzgibbon Cup last year

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

Yeah that is true alright but not sure about him managing Gracefield. Buggy won the intermediate last year with the Boro but was shown the door before the new year. Seemingly they have brought in an ex county minor manager into manage the Boro at senior level. Bit like Chris Hughton at Newcastle actually!

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

Yeah, he led them to victory in the Kilkenny and Leinster Intermediate championships and then got the bullet.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

alltheway wrote:I think he is from loughrea, he was involved in various inderage seups in Galway, and also trained NUIG to the Fitzgibbon Cup last year
Impressive stuff from Clareen. Fresh guy with good pedigree.
I wonder what the "expenses" are!!??

Bazil Brush
Junior A

Post by Bazil Brush »

Id say traveling from loughrea he must be getting well looked after. I heard he trained galway u21s to one if not two all irelands. Any word on kinnitty have they anyone in place yet ? I wonder is aidan hanrahan over shamrocks again? I heard they were very impressed with him.