Pure Mule - Rynaghs on the map!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

The Carmelite church in Moate isn't in Moate Parish either. Ask anyone where it is though and see what they say!...... :D

Ventures to Doon are like trips back to a bygone era. We enjoy them on a nostalgic level!

The Doon Golf Society is away to Ennis this time around I believe - you going to join the shennanigans?

Muck Savage
All Star

Doon

Post by Muck Savage »

Lads, ye should be thankful that you were allowed into Doon and have met the sound skins that live there. One of the best pints in Ireland. I actually tought that Ferbane was the slum part of Doon, you know the other side of the tracks!

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

[quote="Lone Shark"]Ventures to Doon are like trips back to a bygone era. We enjoy them on a nostalgic level!
quote]

Everytime i go thru Doon, i keep thinknig im in that programme Heartbeat!! ah but in fairness, some of offalys finest footballers have come out of the parish and we should be thankful for that. :)

minor
Senior

Post by minor »

is rynaghs biffo a girl? does anyone else think that?

Boggerette
Junior C

Post by Boggerette »

minor wrote:is rynaghs biffo a girl?
And any objections if he is????
Do you not think that girls might like watching sweaty men too?
:D

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

minor wrote:is rynaghs biffo a girl? does anyone else think that?
well i can definatly tell you all, that i'm quite sure i'm a male, well thats what my mammy tells me anyway!! and so what if i was a female? thats a very sexist remark minor, im very disappointed in you, tut tut!!

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Boggerette wrote: And any objections if he is????
Do you not think that girls might like watching sweaty men too?
:D
If they don't I've wasted ALOT of my life!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Well lads,

what will tonight's first episode be like?
My suspicion is that the series will be designed to fit the D4 view of what they think midland life is/should be like.
It might well be "Stage Offaly" and "Offalywhackery".
Granted its written by an Offaly man...but there are Uncle Toms everywhere.
My past experience of such productions suggests that the show will be painfully clichéd. You'll probably have a bunch of Dublin actors hamming it up big style with "country" accents and mannerisms.

Lets hope I'm very wrong.

Doon Massive
All Star

Post by Doon Massive »

Judging by the ad, there seems to be a few half dacent attempts to copy the accent, but over a whole 30 mins (or however long it is), I think it could be quite painful.

Biff O'Mahon
Intermediate

Post by Biff O'Mahon »

I think the director is from Clara too... his name's Recks...

I'm hopin' the mucksavage, ignorant bogger element is played up to the limit... it'll keep them jackeens out of the county for a while... they'd be afraid of being eaten for breakfast by one of them mad wimmen from Banagher :twisted:

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Biff O'Mahon wrote:I think the director is from Clara too... his name's Recks...

I'm hopin' the mucksavage, ignorant bogger element is played up to the limit... it'll keep them jackeens out of the county for a while... they'd be afraid of being eaten for breakfast by one of them mad wimmen from Banagher :twisted:
Declan Recks directed the first 3 episodes. His stuff can be ropey at times - though he has improved technically over the years.

He did most of "On Home Ground" and "The Clinic". Both we were well shot, though the scripts were slow-moving.
Granted OHG had some serious bloopers in it, GAA wise.

Some of short films from the early days were far from smooth. Definitely high on "mucksavage, ignorant bogger" portrayals, though most Irish short films from the late 80s, early 90s leaned heavily towards this.
Going to the Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design & Technology tends to reinforce this outlook of rural Ireland.

Boggerette
Junior C

Post by Boggerette »

Biff O'Mahon wrote:eaten for breakfast by one of them mad wimmen from Banagher :twisted:
:evil: Just whats your problem with Banagher girls?? :evil:

Have you had some bad experience there? Not able to handle a real woman? Feel a bit intimidated by us there Biff? Maybe you should get out more - some of us are really quite sweet you know, would even be gentle with you :wink:

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Boggerette wrote: some of us are really quite sweet you know, would even be gentle with you :wink:

Maybe if you were tenderising him for easier frying and digestion later. :roll: Based on a limited sample size, my experience would be flee. "Run" doesn't really convey the urgency of the situation. Flee.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Lads, was that Banagher? I didn't recognise any of it. And what was with all the Dub accents if it was Banagher? When I was watching it I presumed it was Edenderry or somewhere with a high population of commuters.

Doon Massive
All Star

Post by Doon Massive »

The word you are looking for is ABORT!

Watched mule last night, its not bad, some of it rings true, but the accents will turn me off it, they all sound like a cross between Mary Coughlan and Dolores Kane.