Offaly football champions

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
theman
All Star

Re: Offaly football champions

Post by theman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:To my knowledge Walsh Island were solo when they win their titles in the 30s/40s, and also in the 70s/80s. There was a parish team called Éire Óg in the early 70s (Murt Connor's club is listed as Éire Óg in '71, '72 & '73) but after they realised they had sufficient numbers they went it alone with remarkable success. See the Walsh Island website which has a good history section.

As for Rhode, Mick Casey was a Croghan native 'the blacksmith from Croghan', as was Paddy McCormack. Both played with and won county titles with Rhode. Both Rhode and St Brigid's have good history sections in their websites.
Fargo Boyle wrote:Coming back to the issue of parish teams - i presume alot of Rhodes teams were parish teams. What about Walsh Island when they were winning - had they a contingent from Clonbulloge (is Bracknagh in that parish too)?

Was the Daingean team of the 60s a parish team

As far as i know no Clonbullogue players lined out with walsh island, nearly sure neither did bracknagh. The 3 clubs joined up again in 1994 under St.Broughans and Knocked out the County champions that year in the first round but was disbanded the following year when only players from one club turned up for a relegation match and won but the result was overturned by county board because Tubber objected. Bit mad when you think of it. County board realy need to start a parish tournament. For the benefit of the county!
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

There was no contingent from anywhere when the Island won the six-in-a-row the team was the same most of them years
you had 5 connors 2 o'connors 2 Bryans willie played the first few years in 78,79, pat Bryan was the goalman also played outfield
in a county final, you had the Mulhalls it was some team to come from such a small area back then they were the back bone of
offaly all ireland wins in 71,72,82.

Ferbane Forever
Junior C

Post by Ferbane Forever »

St.John's-I am led to believe they were a Ballinamere/Durrow combination that played in the Senior B football championship in the 80's.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Just on Fargo Boyle's point, Quarrymount won 2 titles at the turn of the 20th century, the area is just inside the Laois border, south of Killeigh, obviously boundarires were a bit looser then! In the first decade of the last century Geashill were prominent in Offaly football, contsting and winning county titles. Geashill was the football end of Killeigh parish. Killeigh won titles in 1915 and 1916, defeating Ferbane and Cloghan.
Raheen is an area between Geashill and Cloneygowan, Killleigh is a large parish divided between hurling, Killeigh/Kilurin area, and football in the area from Geashill to Cloneygowan, although in recent years hurling has taken root. Ballinagar are a junior football team.
St.Mary's were the parish football team in the 1940's and 1950's, in the 1960's a team under the name Killeigh played in 2 finals losing both. Raheen looked after football matters contesting a county final losing to Edenderry in 1985. Johnny Mooney of Rhode and Offaly fame, who was married to a Geashill girl played on that team. Killleigh/Raheen were the parish team in all codes until 2003, when both clubs reverted to their former names.

Because Killeigh parish covers a wide area, getting all sides of the to combine has exrcised the minds of GAA folk on all sides. For instance a combined hurling team, could hold their own at intermediate level, and a football team maybe competing at senior level is an interesting thought.
Na Fianna is the parish underage team.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Now I've a question. There was a club called St John's who played in the Senior football championship in the early 80s. Where were they from?
Somewhere in the Banagher hinterland I think?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Jayz I doubt it, Bordy. St John's played in Senior football (though maybe in Senior 'B' as FF points out above), ie not at U21 where you get all kinds of combined names. Banagher/Cloghan parish have always played together as St Rynagh's in my time, without any breakaway clubs.
Bord na Mona man wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Now I've a question. There was a club called St John's who played in the Senior football championship in the early 80s. Where were they from?
Somewhere in the Banagher hinterland I think?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Howya Umpire! I googled Quarrymount and I see one can become a property owner at Quarrymount, Killeigh, Co. Offaly for a mere €650k. The desirability of an Offaly address. :D :D
Heshs Umpire wrote:You'll have to do some searching of a map of Offaly to find the 1901 football champions, Quarrymount.

That's because it's a tiny little townland tucked inside the Laois border just south of Killeigh village. It now forms part of the catchment area of the Kilcavan club, who play intermediate football in Laois.
Howya POTH. Suppose it would be something the same as Cloneygowan, Portarlington, Co Laois. :wink:
I wouldn't like to be telling a Cloneygowan man he was from Laois.
And even though them Kilcavan lads have been known to venture into Killeigh for social purposes, they's be very particular about that county boundary when it comes to football.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Heshs Umpire wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Howya Umpire! I googled Quarrymount and I see one can become a property owner at Quarrymount, Killeigh, Co. Offaly for a mere €650k. The desirability of an Offaly address. :D :D
Heshs Umpire wrote:You'll have to do some searching of a map of Offaly to find the 1901 football champions, Quarrymount.

That's because it's a tiny little townland tucked inside the Laois border just south of Killeigh village. It now forms part of the catchment area of the Kilcavan club, who play intermediate football in Laois.
Howya POTH. Suppose it would be something the same as Cloneygowan, Portarlington, Co Laois. :wink:
I wouldn't like to be telling a Cloneygowan man he was from Laois.
And even though them Kilcavan lads have been known to venture into Killeigh for social purposes, they's be very particular about that county boundary when it comes to football.
i have seen them same kilcavan lads in the market square when offaly teams were bring home the bacon with there offaly colours on them :shock:

Heshs Umpire
County player

Post by Heshs Umpire »

townman wrote:
i have seen them same kilcavan lads in the market square when offaly teams were bring home the bacon with there offaly colours on them :shock:
I can only add another :shock: to that!!

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

In fairness to Kilcavan they are a tough crowd to play against as you will find out if ye ever play a challenge match against them.

So is Daingean then the parish with the most senior (age wise not football) level clubs - Daingean, Ballycommon, Cappincur and Kilclonfert.