Galway's win over Kilkenny - Good for Offaly hurling

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

We do need strength in the forward line - that's a given. However I don't think Neville is the answer. I assume he'll revert to football first next spring, and anyway, from what I saw against Lusmagh, he didn't look like a good club player, let alone a county player. He is big and hardy, but his touch is way off the required standard for intercounty hurling. He's a good county footballer, but that's it for Neville.

Chances are the route will be through the qualifiers all right, but that's no reason to just settle for that. Gear up to be at our best in early june and see what happens. Losing by 5 points to Kilkenny would be a much better platform than losing by 25, even if we were guaranteed to lose, which pessimistic as I am, I still wouldn't accept that.

We do need big forwards though. Based on what I've seen this year so far - and please don't everyone jump down my throat because my past knowledge is not all that it could be - so far I wouldn't rule out any of the following for a half forward role next year:

Joe Bergin
Eamonn Lee
Chris Moore
Paul Molloy
Stephen Delaney
A la John Devane for Tipp - Declan Tanner??

These are outside of the existing squad, although I know Molloy was drafted in last year. There's a few seriously speculative names in there, but I think we have to try something a bit different.