County senior football championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
theman
All Star

Re: County senior football championship

Post by theman »

So your implying that them 4 teams are destined for relegation even though the likes of doon have no points and if they lose next game it could be releagtion for them. Likewise with Shannonbridge and Birr who both only have 1 point??
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

theman wrote:So your implying that them 4 teams are destined for relegation even though the likes of doon have no points and if they lose next game it could be relegation for them. Likewise with Shannonbridge and Birr who both only have 1 point??
I'm saying that based on the results so far and looking at it from the point of view of the bookmaker assessing the most likely scenario from here on, I would happily take any of the four teams in group one other than Clara to finish ahead of Clonbullogue. I would expect all five teams to beat Clara, so the only reason ye have two points is because ye've played them already. That's not to say that you'll get nothing out of Rynaghs, Kilclonfert or the Bridge, but yes I would have ye as outsiders in all three of those games.

In group two, Doon have got off to a bad start but they played the form team of the whole competition so far, and lost to Durrow without their main player. Now I don't think Doon are going well enough to win an intermediate at all, they have a lot of improving to do, but it's foolish not to allow for the calibre of opponent played so far.

I'll put it this way - if you want to give me even money in a bet on who will finish higher in the group, Clon vs Shannonbridge, or even an even money match bet on who will end up with more points, Clonbullogue or Doon (draw is a push, i.e. no bet) then I'll happily bite the hand off you for all you want to offer me.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

Fair enough i can see where your coming from,we'll say nothing more until the group stage is complete.
And where do i sign up for this bet? I Could do with a few extra pound :D
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

theman wrote:Fair enough i can see where your coming from,we'll say nothing more until the group stage is complete.
And where do i sign up for this bet? I Could do with a few extra pound :D
Drop a pm. I don't want to be seen in public backing either of our neighbours, but I couldn't let this one go .... :wink:

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Anyone any word on how the Tullamor-Brigids game went tonight in OCP?

Junior A

Post by 1964 »

tullamore won by a point brutal game 7pts to 6. shane dooley kicked 6 points some of them were outrageous for a fella thats barely kicked a ball this year very impressive. tullamore had alot of injuries so they will be happy to have 2 wins under there belts hopefully they will get a few lads back over the next few weeks

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

That's some savage low scoring, but it's also a missed opportunity for Brigids. This is looking like a group where Clara and Tullamore are home and hosed, and the other four will fight it out for the other two slots. Anyone that can nick points off the big two will be delighted, but if Tullamore can survive a game like that they should close out against Shamrocks and Gracefield as well.

Tough going having to play again on Friday night though - why in God's name did they not leave that game till Sunday evening, just like Brigids match with Shamrocks?

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Last nights football was the worst ive seen in years. A terrible match.

The fixtures are a bit of a mess alright. Tullamore would appear to have done enough to get to knockout stages where they will be a tricky team for anyone.

Brigids I fancy to win at the weekend against a Shamrocks team decimated with injuries and player withdrawals.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Speaking to someone back home, I am told Gracefield are in a dreadful mess, infighting going on with management and players, guys not turning up for training, apparently they are in a right state. How bad it is I'm not so sure but there has been major thunder clouds over the black and red area of Port for a while now.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Ye're hurlers are going nicely though. Maybe there's a future there. :) :)
black and red exile wrote:Speaking to someone back home, I am told Gracefield are in a dreadful mess, infighting going on with management and players, guys not turning up for training, apparently they are in a right state. How bad it is I'm not so sure but there has been major thunder clouds over the black and red area of Port for a while now.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Your sources are right black and red exile,terrible stuff going on in Gracefield over the last while. Every night they train there seems to be 10 different lads injured. They trained Monday night and there was around 18 lads there,half of them have never played Senior Football in their life. Can't see them troubling Tullamore Friday night.

As for the hurlers,had a big win last night over Carrig/Riverstown. Drew Brosna Gaels in Semi-Final and will play them the first weekend in September.

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

Are Gracefield in danger of been relegated? what is gone wrong, this time last year they were Division 1 champions

Thereorthereabouts
County player

Post by Thereorthereabouts »

I heard Raheen beat St Rynaghs in OCP yesterday evening. Anyone know the score?
The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road; long before I dance under those lights

Johnno81
County player

Post by Johnno81 »

Raheen 0.13 St Rynaghs 0.09. Not a great game but Raheen done what they had to do.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Thanks for the info Offaly 2010 and POTH, obviously what I was told was fairly on the button then. God I have to laugh, it's so ironic, I remember as a young lad in the seventies when in Gracefield hurling was just as foreign a game as soccer :lol: If ya were spotted with a hurl you were called a weirdo, I bet if you were spotted with a hurl around ST Joseph's terrace in the current climate ya wouldn't get a second look, I know a couple of the hurling people over there and it's great to see the work bearing fruit :D