Offaly vs. Clare Football Qualifier Round 1 26/06/2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Re: Offaly vs. Clare Football Qualifier Round 1 26/06/2010

Post by Offaly2010 »

cromabu52 wrote:Well done Offaly today. Might comeback. Anyone know is this the right subs bench below with correct numbers? If not please correct.
16 Eoin Brennan (Tullamore)
17 Alan McNamee (Rhode)
18 Conor Carroll (Raheen)
19 Nigel Dunne (Shamrocks)
20 James Gallagher (Walsh Island)
21 Ger Rafferty (St Rynagh’s)
22 Graham Guilfoyle (Clara)
23 Seán Ryan (Birr)
24 Alan Lynam (Erin Rovers)
25 Stephen Lonergan (Birr)
26 Paul McConway (Tullamore)
27 William Mulhall (Walsh Island)
4 Seán Pender (Edenderry)
29 PJ Ward (Shamrocks)
30 David Egan (St Brigid’s)
16.Eoin Brennan
17.Nigel Dunne
18.David Egan
19.James Gallagher
20.Graham Guilfoyle
21.Alan Lynam
22.Stephen Lonergan
23.Paul McConway
24.Alan McNamee
25.William Mulhall
26.Ger Rafferty
27.Sean Ryan
28.Pauric Sullivan(Sean Pender)
29.PJ Ward

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

Another special from the Cardiac Faithful!!! Why don't we play for 70 minutes like we do when we are in a desperate position in the last 5 minutes? That first half was painful to watch!

Good points - positives
1. We won - I don't know how but we won!!
2. John Reynolds was heroic - undeterred by falling over in the first minute when Niall McNamee was sending the ball towards him 5 years out - John was everywhere in the 2nd half winning the breaks and carrying the fight to Clare.
3. After that nightmare miss from 14 yards out in front of the posts Cribben now must realise that Niall McNamee is not our best option for frees - at the end we were taking the right free-taking options with Ken Casey taking them from most positions and Mac taking the long-distance ones, particularly from the left.
4. Sean Pender, Anton Sullivan, Brian Connor and especially Graham Guilfoyle did well for the younger brigade.
5. Brian Geraghty, Ross Brady, Nigel Dunne got some valuable experience.
6. Good to see David Egan and Paul McConway back on the field.
7. Cribben and his selectors can congratulate themselves on making good switches at half-time and afterwards.

Offaly always do well with lots of brothers out there so good to see the Bradys, Sullivans and Darbys getting stuck in.

One question - in the 2nd half why did Scott Brady run to the touchline and then spend time getting treatment from the Offaly medical staff while play went on. Meanwhile a Clare player ran from midfield through our defence to score a goal? If Scott had a blood problem surely he should wait until the ref tells him to go off so that Offaly can get a blood sub on? Or was it something else that he needed attention for??

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

Reynolds seriously needs to stop shooting every time he gets within 45 yards of the goals though...

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Listening to Pat Phelan(I think) and Laz Molloy doing the commentary was priceless stuff altogether.
Laz could be heard bellowing out words of encouragement when an Offalyman had a sniff of a chance.

I couldn’t figure out whether it was Laz or some taepot in the box with them but it was quality listening ..

My Left Foot
Senior

Post by My Left Foot »

and we got waterford next - having seen the match saturday i can honestly say that normally we should win this but you just never know anymore -

the first half of that match on saturday was atrocious. We were outrun, outfought , and outmuscled everywhere.
the subs who came on at half time helped turn it around - their pace helped enormously.
Scott Brady and Ciaran Mc Madness lead the younger players and Shaper and Slats and Connor ( who won or broke a lot of ball)tried very hard also.

2 more weeks of training and another win would set us up to have a cut at some of the teams in the back door - but only if we set our team out right and organise it so they know what they are all doing as a plan. ( Dara O Cinneide gave the teamtalk for the rest of the year by saying the win on Saturday was a stay of execution - pin it up in the dressing room and lets PROVE HIM WRONG :twisted: )
This team needs to add pace so keep in Mc Conway and Guilfoyle, Anton O'Sullivan is growing in stature all the time.

Also Coughlan back in and Connor at midfield or as a third midfielder. Get a few plans of action as teams are trying to shut out the ball into Niall Mc so we need to work it around to get the right angle so he can get the ball.

These lads have pride in the jersey but are very short on confidence - another win and with some more support we could have a rattle at some of the teams still in the draw)

speaking of support - Saturday was a lovely day - it was a tenner onto the terrace and there was eff all there - a feckin disgrace
Sort it out people.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

My Left Foot wrote: speaking of support - Saturday was a lovely day - it was a tenner onto the terrace and there was eff all there - a feckin disgrace
Sort it out people.
In fairness, the crowd in Portlaoise indicates that if people believe there is something worth seeing, then they will turn out. It's been a while since the footballers provided that something. They started on the right road from half time on saturday, but it really is up to the team to draw the crowd.

Just in relation to Offaly's infamous attitude towards the qualifiers, referred to by Dara O'Cinneide, surely it speaks volumes if the players are returned to their clubs and intercounty training abandoned after the defeat to Meath. Is this actually what happened ?
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Daingean Exile
Junior A

Post by Daingean Exile »

My Left Foot wrote:and we got waterford next - having seen the match saturday i can honestly say that normally we should win this but you just never know anymore -

the first half of that match on saturday was atrocious. We were outrun, outfought , and outmuscled everywhere.
the subs who came on at half time helped turn it around - their pace helped enormously.
Scott Brady and Ciaran Mc Madness lead the younger players and Shaper and Slats and Connor ( who won or broke a lot of ball)tried very hard also.

2 more weeks of training and another win would set us up to have a cut at some of the teams in the back door - but only if we set our team out right and organise it so they know what they are all doing as a plan. ( Dara O Cinneide gave the teamtalk for the rest of the year by saying the win on Saturday was a stay of execution - pin it up in the dressing room and lets PROVE HIM WRONG :twisted: )
This team needs to add pace so keep in Mc Conway and Guilfoyle, Anton O'Sullivan is growing in stature all the time.

Also Coughlan back in and Connor at midfield or as a third midfielder. Get a few plans of action as teams are trying to shut out the ball into Niall Mc so we need to work it around to get the right angle so he can get the ball.

These lads have pride in the jersey but are very short on confidence - another win and with some more support we could have a rattle at some of the teams still in the draw)

speaking of support - Saturday was a lovely day - it was a tenner onto the terrace and there was eff all there - a feckin disgrace
Sort it out people.
I was surprised at O'Cinneide's comment. I reckon the Kerry crowd still hate Offaly for what happened in 1982. The normally mild mannered and boring O'Cinneide let his mask slip there and Cribben should use it as a motivating ploy. A win over Waterford should give the footballers a chance to build momentum and start to improve their performances.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Daingean Exile wrote: I was surprised at O'Cinneide's comment. I reckon the Kerry crowd still hate Offaly for what happened in 1982. The normally mild mannered and boring O'Cinneide let his mask slip there and Cribben should use it as a motivating ploy. A win over Waterford should give the footballers a chance to build momentum and start to improve their performances.
Lads I think ye are being a bit paranoid about O'Cinneide here. He couldn't care less about Offaly, he was simply caling it as it is. He was referring to Cribbins laughable remarks about "taking it to another level". Anyone there on saturday witnessed a game played out by two teams that are possibly the worst two of the 31 counties that participate from Ireland. This is the draw that Waterford wanted and will be expecting to win. I lost all hope in the Offaly senior footballers on saturday. Until the county board get a serious competant manager in place (he didn't have a clue what he was at on saturday) then I'm afraid its a lost cause.

My Left Foot
Senior

Post by My Left Foot »

I hope I didn't come across as paranoid - I mean as a panel of lads they should be HIGHLY motivated by comments like that.

I agree that Waterford will think they have a good shot at us - and that anyone else will love to get us in the draw

BUT

I believe we are better than a lot of others but need to prove it on the pitch. We have been given the opportunity to get two more summer games under the belt with the draw today, and to train 30 players or so for another month. Use it wisely.

Both the sideline and the players need to up their game and use whatever extra bits like O'Cinneide you can to spur you on in training and in games - they didn't collapse or lie down on Saturday no matter how bad they were so I commend their spirit - and Anton O'Sullivans eagerness for argy bargy !!

Keep the faith

My Left Foot
Senior

Post by My Left Foot »

p.s. just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you !! :wink:

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

bracknaghboy wrote:Until the county board get a serious competant manager in place (he didn't have a clue what he was at on saturday) then I'm afraid its a lost cause
I have to agree totally with the above, Cribben & Co have not a clue.
Be careful out their

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Double header with the hurlers on Saturday week.
Offaly vs Waterford 5:00 p.m
Offaly vs Limerick 7:00 p.m

Daingean Exile
Junior A

Post by Daingean Exile »

bracknaghboy wrote:
Daingean Exile wrote: I was surprised at O'Cinneide's comment. I reckon the Kerry crowd still hate Offaly for what happened in 1982. The normally mild mannered and boring O'Cinneide let his mask slip there and Cribben should use it as a motivating ploy. A win over Waterford should give the footballers a chance to build momentum and start to improve their performances.
Lads I think ye are being a bit paranoid about O'Cinneide here. He couldn't care less about Offaly, he was simply caling it as it is. He was referring to Cribbins laughable remarks about "taking it to another level". Anyone there on saturday witnessed a game played out by two teams that are possibly the worst two of the 31 counties that participate from Ireland. This is the draw that Waterford wanted and will be expecting to win. I lost all hope in the Offaly senior footballers on saturday. Until the county board get a serious competant manager in place (he didn't have a clue what he was at on saturday) then I'm afraid its a lost cause.
What O'Cinneide said was actually spot on, Offaly have not performed in the qualifier series since it began. However having watched O'Cinneide as a pundit before, he usually says very safe and boring stuff and is hardly ever derogatory about another county team. That's why I was surprised at his cut at Offaly, not that what he said was wrong, just that it's not his usual form. Any Kerry fella that claims 1982 doesn't still rankle is lying, they were prevented from making history which they are unlikely to get a chance to do again. Anyway Offaly should still be able to beat Waterford and try to improve their performances and build a bit of consistency and momentum.

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

I seem to be talking to myself on this forum as no-one bothers to reply to my posts (must have to be in the gang and all that) but i'll say my two cents anyway.

I have to disagree about Cribben, i think for the first time in 13 years the board have got something right.

What people need to realize is that there is a step by step progression that has to take place before we can start to challange the big boys.

Granted tacticly he has got it wrong on ocaission but getting that right will come with building the team, ie introducing new players and waiting for them to adapt to championship football.

The first step is restoring pride in the jersey and i think the team has gone some way to restoring that last week against Clare.

Now that the players know what is required to compete in a game (pride, hard work, honest effort) he can now start to mould the team over the next few years and get the tactics right.

With the likes of young O'Sullivan and Guillfoyle coming in its about getting the right blend of youth and experience for the team.

If your looking for instant results its just not going to happen.

Remember it took Alex Ferguson Four years before he won his first trophie at Manchester United.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Truth as i see it wrote:I seem to be talking to myself on this forum as no-one bothers to reply to my posts (must have to be in the gang and all that) but i'll say my two cents anyway.
One sure way to get somebody to reply :)
Truth as i see it wrote:I have to disagree about Cribben, i think for the first time in 13 years the board have got something right.
I'm not so sure. For almost the entire duration of the first-half on Saturday afternoon, nobody from 8-15 really knew where they were supposed to be playing or what they were supposed to be doing. The full forwards were half-forwards, the centre-half forward was a midfielder and then a full forward - it was chaotic.

In addition, there didn't seem to be any real tactics, with the exception of lumping it forward long and high towards Niall McNamee, who was trying to catch the ball on the goal-side of the Clare backs. This is a strange tactic. It was also tried against Meath and in my opinion doesn't work. Perhaps it has something to do with an injury that he's said to be carrying? He seems happier playing goal-side of his man and not trying to get out in front for the ball.

Anyway, Clare overran Offaly in that first-half, primarily because they won more ball in the middle of the field, but also because they poured forward in numbers (particularly the wing-backs) offering an overlap. Half-time couldn't come quickly enough. Clare 0-6 Offaly 0-1.

The second-half brought some changes. P Sullivan, Dalton and one of the Darbys was replaced. Sean Pender, David Egan and Graham Guilfoyle were introduced. Offaly started to compete, but for every score they took Clare replied with a score. Offaly narrowed the gap slightly to 0-9 0-5 and then David Egan made himself a little bit of luck to finish off a good Offaly move with a deflection into the Clare net. Only a point behind, the small crowd became noisy and we thought we had a game on our hands. However, Clare replied pretty emphatically. Within 5 minutes, they'd put a goal and a point on the board - though the goal looked highly questionable for a throw/pass right at the end of the move.

Clare tagged on a couple more points and it really did look like curtains. The score stood at 1-12 to 1-5. With about 10 minutes to play, things started to happen again for Offaly. Throughout the second-half, Brian Connor had been growing into the game and when Ciaran McManus was partnered with him, Offaly started to win the middle of the field. This combination of centre-fielders was to be the final experiment of the match and it worked. McManus, to his credit, never gave up and made good space for himself for a couple of quick kickouts. Connor was muscling the middle moreso and winning or breaking ball. This was where John Reynolds and Graham Guilfoyle came into the equation, starting to win breaks. Reynolds in particular, started to play the role of the modern wing-forward very well, winning breaks, taking a tackle and then doing the simple thing.

Offaly tagged on 3 points, I think from frees and a 45. With the score at 1-12 to 1-8 and time running out, David Egan played a tidy little ball into Niall McNamee. For the first time in the game, McNamee came for the ball in front of his man and also for the first time, he ran straight at his man towards goals. After a great run the ball made it's way across to Ken Casey (who improved as the game wore on) and he found the back of the net from short-range. Offaly had a chance to equalise from a Casey free (wide) before Ciaran Mc backed himself with a 45. Although he topped it, lady luck was with the faithful as his low-struck free pinged into Graham Guilfoyles hands and was duly dispatched over the bar. Shortly after the whistle blew for full-time and Banner heads dropped.

Offaly continued to play in the first-half of extra-time in exactly the same manner. The middle of the field belonged to Connor and John Reynolds and interplay between the Offaly forwards continued to improve. Niall McNamee kicked a superb point from the hospital-side into the town-end and Offaly had blasted 6 points clear within 10 minutes. Game over. Clare rallied well in the second-half of extra-time, coming to within 2 points of Offaly, before the plucky and ever-willing Anton Sullivan sent over the insurance point.

A funny game indeed. Offaly mixed the incredibly poor with the very good in patches. This win should bring them along quite a lot. This is a very young group of footballers and on the basis of the two championship games I've seen this year, they're trying very hard.

On the day, although I haven't mentioned him above, Scott Brady was immense at full-back. He held things together well, had great hands and drove Offaly forward from a deep position. Brian Connor probably pips him for man of the match, as his influence in the middle was huge. Also great performance from Ciaran Mc and John Reynolds. Anton Sullivan was super and all-energy - he ran miles. Graham Guilfoyle and David Egan both contributed positively too. Niall Mc, when the chips were down, dug deep and probably defied an injury. He remains a messiah, despite missing a 14 yard free in front of the posts!
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!