Leinster U-21 Hurling Championship Kilkenny vs Offaly

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Georgio1
All Star

Re: Leinster U-21 Hurling Championship Kilkenny vs Offaly

Post by Georgio1 »

A result like that should be the cue for "Offaly's Future" to appear, where are you now when we need you?

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

"A result like that should be the cue for "Offaly's Future" to appear, where are you now when we need you?"

I second that.

Come out come out wherever you are ..

Your county needs you!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

He was online here very recently.
We need him back posting, especially after a spanking like Wednesday.

Maybe he has lost the will to keep going, or has been gagged by powerful forces?

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

either its apathy or is this a football site... a 29 pt beating and let her be lucky?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

old yellar wrote:either its apathy or is this a football site... a 29 pt beating and let her be lucky?
The 29 point defeat isn't a standout, standalone event. It is the latest high water mark in how deep Offaly have sank.
You could add it to any one a dozen 'new lows' for Offaly hurling.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

Kilkenny beaten by five points tonight by Dublin

Bord na Mona man
All Star

corner back wrote:Kilkenny beaten by five points tonight by Dublin
Just goes to show you.
Dublin no longer fear Kilkenny at underage the way some Offaly teams do.
Offaly would give Dublin a much better game than they did Kilkenny.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
corner back wrote:Kilkenny beaten by five points tonight by Dublin
Just goes to show you.
Dublin no longer fear Kilkenny at underage the way some Offaly teams do.
Offaly would give Dublin a much better game than they did Kilkenny.
You are dead right there BNM Man,I'm not saying Offaly would have beaten Kilkenny if they didn't fear them but if Offaly actually believed they could beat them and maybe had a bit of confidence in themselves it would have been a much closer game,we wouldn't have got bet by 29 points anyway!
Fair play to Dublin,seems like they have a nice young team coming through the ranks there and I would say most of them will hurl for the seniors in the coming years.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Or maybe if Offaly had a midfield/half-forward line who could even contest their own ball. Dempsey pucked out about 50 times (33 scores & about 17 wides) and Kilkenny must have won every single one. You can have all the belief you want but if you can't get near the ball . . .
Interesting that various reports suggest Liam Rushe made considerable hay in that sector last night.
Offaly2010 wrote:You are dead right there BNM Man,I'm not saying Offaly would have beaten Kilkenny if they didn't fear them but if Offaly actually believed they could beat them and maybe had a bit of confidence in themselves it would have been a much closer game,we wouldn't have got bet by 29 points anyway!
Fair play to Dublin,seems like they have a nice young team coming through the ranks there and I would say most of them will hurl for the seniors in the coming years.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Or maybe if Offaly had a midfield/half-forward line who could even contest their own ball. Dempsey pucked out about 50 times (33 scores & about 17 wides) and Kilkenny must have won every single one. You can have all the belief you want but if you can't get near the ball . . .
Interesting that various reports suggest Liam Rushe made considerable hay in that sector last night.
Offaly2010 wrote:You are dead right there BNM Man,I'm not saying Offaly would have beaten Kilkenny if they didn't fear them but if Offaly actually believed they could beat them and maybe had a bit of confidence in themselves it would have been a much closer game,we wouldn't have got bet by 29 points anyway!
Would this have happened against Dublin though?
Clearly this Dublin vintage are superior to their Kilkenny counterparts - they beat them well at minor in 2007 also.
Would Offaly really have been beaten by nearly 30 points and not won puckouts in a similar fashion against Dublin?
You lose games by 29 points and don't score in the second half when you aren't trying hard enough.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I'm not sure what you mean here. Quite likely Offaly would have been similarly swamped against Dublin. It seems from various match reports that Dublin dominated Kilkenny in the air.

You lose matches by big scores when the match slips away, you can't get near the ball and the opposition are utterly ruthless. Even then, something doesn't add up. Despite being under such ferocious pressure, Offaly got a few scores after the Kilkenny goal and could have got back to within a goal (1-9 to 0-9) had a long range free been on target. As it happened Kilkenny closed lout the half with 3 points and led 1-12 to 0-9 at the break. Having hav the strong wind in the first half, the game was gone fom Offaly by the interval.

Personally I would be slow to criticise any hurler or footballer for 'not trying'. Perhaps you saw different to me?
Bord na Mona man wrote:Would this have happened against Dublin though?
Clearly this Dublin vintage are superior to their Kilkenny counterparts - they beat them well at minor in 2007 also.
Would Offaly really have been beaten by nearly 30 points and not won puckouts in a similar fashion against Dublin?
You lose games by 29 points and don't score in the second half when you aren't trying hard enough.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I'm not sure what you mean here. Quite likely Offaly would have been similarly swamped against Dublin. It seems from various match reports that Dublin dominated Kilkenny in the air.

You lose matches by big scores when the match slips away, you can't get near the ball and the opposition are utterly ruthless. Even then, something doesn't add up. Despite being under such ferocious pressure, Offaly got a few scores after the Kilkenny goal and could have got back to within a goal (1-9 to 0-9) had a long range free been on target. As it happened Kilkenny closed lout the half with 3 points and led 1-12 to 0-9 at the break. Having hav the strong wind in the first half, the game was gone fom Offaly by the interval.

Personally I would be slow to criticise any hurler or footballer for 'not trying'. Perhaps you saw different to me?
Bord na Mona man wrote:Would this have happened against Dublin though?
A Kilkenny U21 team with no senior panelists would not strike me as being 29 points better than an Offaly side with 6 senior panelists.
I wasn't there, but funnily enough I haven't heard one mention of Offaly 'leaving everything on the field', 'giving it their all', 'emptying the tank', 'hurling till they dropped'. Or maybe that's always a given?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Truth is they weren’t 29 points superior. Perhaps you haven’t been on the receiving end of a severe hiding on the pitch, but I have, several times at that, (mainly at the hands of town teams but that’s another story) and once a match gets away from you and the floodgates open there’s no stopping the tide. I’m not given to dancing on graves in that respect.

The relative number of senior panellists on the U21 teams can be a bit of a red herring. Turning it around, you could say there are no U21s on the Kilkenny senior panel (and by extension among the top 30 hurlers in KK at the moment) while there are 6 U21s on the Offaly senior panel.

Did Derek Morkan look inferior last Sunday? Anyway, the crux was that Kilkenny’s weakest five were superior to Offaly’s weakest five.

Anyway senior panellists underperforming at U21 level is nothing new. I remember 1994 when Kevin Martin was criticised locally for a below par performance with the U21s who took a battering from Wexford. In fact, KM was dismissed as having no future as an inter-county hurler by some ‘genuises’ at the time. He went on to win an All-Star that same year.
Bord na Mona man wrote:A Kilkenny U21 team with no senior panelists would not strike me as being 29 points better than an Offaly side with 6 senior panelists.
I wasn't there, but funnily enough I haven't heard one mention of Offaly 'leaving everything on the field', 'giving it their all', 'emptying the tank', 'hurling till they dropped'. Or maybe that's always a given?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Truth is they weren’t 29 points superior. Perhaps you haven’t been on the receiving end of a severe hiding on the pitch, but I have, several times at that, (mainly at the hands of town teams but that’s another story) and once a match gets away from you and the floodgates open there’s no stopping the tide. I’m not given to dancing on graves.

The relative number of senior panellists on the U21 teams can be a bit of a red herring. Turning it around, you could say there are no U21s on the Kilkenny senior panel (and by extension among the top 30 hurlers in KK at the moment) while there are 6 U21s on the Offaly senior panel.

Did Derek Morkan look inferior last Sunday? Anyway, the crux was that Kilkenny’s weakest five were superior to Offaly’s weakest five.

Anyway, I remember 1994 when Kevin Martin was criticised locally for a below par performance with the U21s who took a battering from Wexford. In fact, KM was dismissed as having no future as an inter-county hurler by some ‘genuises’ at the time. He went on to win an All-Star that same year.
I take your point, but I still worry that the sight of black and amber jersey causes Offaly teams to retreat into themselves and be defeatest once the squeeze comes on.
I just can't imagine how an even better Dublin side would have dismantled Offaly in the same way. Though maybe Dublin wouldn't have the same instinct to fill their boots once the slot machine starts paying out.