Leinster Senior Hurling Offaly V Galway

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Loughers
All Star

Re: Leinster Senior Hurling Offaly V Galway

Post by Loughers »

Haven't left Croke Park with such pride since 2000 semi-final. Memories of our last match there still haunt me. Well done to the lads and thanks for giving us back some pride.
Esto Fidelis

mykneehurts
County player

Post by mykneehurts »

Have to hand it to the lads. They fought for everything. At stages the Galway lads were spilling ball before the tackle was even made because of the pressure they were being put under for the whole game. I think Portlaoise will suit Offaly better than Croke Park. Tighter pitch and more of an atmosphere.

On the subject of the referee, a friend of mine is in charge of what gets replayed on the big screen at the match and he told me afterwards that the Galway point at the start was so far wide that he couldn't replay it! He couldn't understand how it had been given!

Anyone know why the sidelines that Galway scored (3 or 4 I think) were allowed to be taken half a foot on the pitch rather than from on or behind the sideline? I know it seems petty and they probably would have been scores had they been taken from the right place but if even one of them had been thrown in as the rules say then we would have won by a point!

faithfulman
Intermediate

Post by faithfulman »

Offaly vs Kilkenny minor semi final has been changed to next Sunday in OCP at 2. Senior replay will be a stand alone fixture on Saturday in Portlaois at 7.
He is so bad in goal he needs the net in front of him.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

What was needed was Offaly's best performance since the All-Ireland Semi-Final against Cork in 2000 and yesterday, 10 years later, Offaly provided just that. That is itself, irrespective of the result is a credit to the players.
The weather, Galway's start, the point that wasn't, Offaly's goals, Galway's second half start, the sending off, the fightback, the equaliser; yesterday had it all. A few points:

1: First and foremost to the players: Thanks on behalf of all Offaly supporters for the complete effort and commitment that was shown yesterday. That's all that anyone can ask for and even had we lost yesterday's game at the death the performance alone would have remained untarnished. Well done.

2: We drew. Nothing more. The job is not yet done.

3: I think the most remarkable thing about yesterday was the fightback on two separate occasions. The first half one was at least spring-boarded by the goals but what happened in the second half almost defies belief, even now. Think about it; a man down, Galway having just blitzed 2-4, four points down. If ever this team should have had a second half fadeout yesterday was the day. They didn't however and instead fought with a belief they had no right to have. Hooking, harrying, swarming the opposition, they never gave up. And look what they achieved. Let them learn.

4: The second most remarkable thing was the amount, or lack thereof, of scoring frees that Offaly conceded. What was it, five for Farragher with two 21's for Canning? It's hard to understate how important that was yesterday, and indeed how important that is in today's game. Against good teams any frees conceded from at least midfield in are almost certain points, at least. Defences have to learn that it just doesn't pay to foul, bar preventing a goal chance, and it's invariably better to force your man to shoot under pressure in open play. Silly, needless frees kill a team, killed Wexford and our performance in this regard yesterday was key to the draw. Galway themselves were aslo very disciplined in this regard, especially for the first 50 minutes.

5: People can say what they like about Brian Carroll, justified and otherwise but one thing I've always felt about him is that he cares about playing for Offaly, cares about the jersey. Yesterday when Currams was sent off and just before play resumed, he took to roaring and fist pumping to all of his team, defence included, exhorting them to drive on. At the time I had my head in my hands, hoping that we'd somehow keep the, by now, seemingly inevitable beating below double figures. So for that show of belief and spirit, that I'd safely say no supporter at that time had, I say very well done to Brian Carroll and indeed James Rigney who was at it also.

6: Our defence was outstanding yesterday, every player from start to finish. Dempsey, a debutante don't forget, was brilliant. Good puckouts, made two if not three great saves, assured under the high ball, the Number 1 jersey is now his. Rigney has something of the Tommy Walsh about him. Similar build, attitude and gets balls that really he has no right to get. I lost count yesterday of the number of times I saw his yellow helmet somewhere in the middle of a ruck and he emerging with the ball a couple of seconds later. For sheer work rate and effort he's worth his place in the team, I get tired just watching him. He's also a great leader, never stops encouraging his teammates on. Del looks like he's been a fixture in championship hurling for years.

7: The marshalling of Canning by not only Kenny but by all the defenders who swept up the broken ball arising from the two was exemplary. That Canning finished with 1-2 from play is a measure of his skill and is in no way a poor reflection of the Offaly defence. Any day Joe has to be moved out to the half forward line to be brought into a game is a high compliment for any full back line. It almost started so poorly though, Canning caught caught an early ball over DK, necessitating a foul to be committed. The resulting 21 from Canning was saved and cleared by those manning the line. If that had been netted.....It's a game of inches.

8: Dooley, Bergin and Molloy had great games. Molloy had Donal Barry called ashore after 25 minutes such was his impact on the game. He'll be severely missed if he is unable to pay in Portlaoise.

9: It wasn't all good though. Our midfield in the first half (Murphy and Hayden) were very much coming off second best to their opponents. Murphy had a poor game by his standards and was correctly withdrawn. The lack of winter hurling was obvious but nonetheless he'll be all the better for yesterday. He won't be as anonymous again. Hayden did better from broken play in the first half but wasn't marking Farragher as tight as was required, particularly from Offaly puckouts when Farragher sat in front of his half back line and cleared the broken ball. A lesson learned hopefully, he was moved to wing forward for the second half.

10: Rory Hanniffy had a brilliant second half at midfield. From assisting his half back line to scoring a fine point, he dominated that sector. I can understand fully the reason for starting him wing forward (ball winning, scoring threat, pace, quiten Collins) but let the debate end as to where his best position is. 'Tis midfield.

11: Shane Dooley. Not much needs to be said. One point though; he always had the talent but now he's a great example to any hurler in their young twenties how, with a bit of hard work, you can improve yourself physically without loosing any skill. Both the equalising free and the earlier one from 80/90 meters were cleared comfortably. That's where the hours in the gym go.

12: To put it mildly, the ref screwed us. So help me, Galway's first goal should have disallowed for either steps or for no clear underhand striking action being present in the handpass to Canning. Where's Johnny Ryan from, the Tipp side of Portumna?

13: A bit of pride restored for the supporters all right, belief for the players even more so. Imagine if we win on Saturday? Kick on lads, kick on.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

I see the Offaly vs Clare game has been brought forward to 2 p.m on Saturday. Great news,now we can go to both games. Hopefully a good win for the footballers,that will send us in to OMP in a great mood and ready to cheer on the hurlers again,and if your like me yesterday,lose my voice again.
Allez!

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

well done to ye on the draw. great spirit. pity this team is v bipolar, with massive highs and shuddering lows.. Also god to see 133 replies on achieving a draw, and 49 on a 29 point beating.. hurling was finished and no one wanted to discuss it, then ye get a draw and everyone comments! are ye covering over the cracks?! fairplay to the team and management. rem galway aint world beaters. the neat wexford handy on the score board but found it wicked hard. and this was a wexford team who lost to ouselves and struggled to get out of div 2, so galway aint no world beaters.. do ye really want a crack at kk?? jayus the are awesome!

BUFFALO
County player

Post by BUFFALO »

old yellar wrote:well done to ye on the draw. great spirit. pity this team is v bipolar, with massive highs and shuddering lows.. Also god to see 133 replies on achieving a draw, and 49 on a 29 point beating.. hurling was finished and no one wanted to discuss it, then ye get a draw and everyone comments! are ye covering over the cracks?! fairplay to the team and management. rem galway aint world beaters. the neat wexford handy on the score board but found it wicked hard. and this was a wexford team who lost to ouselves and struggled to get out of div 2, so galway aint no world beaters.. do ye really want a crack at kk?? jayus the are awesome!
First thing's first.
I'm fairly sure that all and sundry on this here forum are aware of the fact that we ain't exactly world beaters or likely to be in Croke park come September,but the fact remains that days such as Sunday gone are there to be savoured.Okay,a draw is a draw and isn't something to hark on about,but it was the manner of the performance and overall unfolding of the game that is of most interest here.
Having been starved of such occasions over the last decade,it think it is fair for ardent Offalians to revel in anything resembling success,so that is why there has been so much discourse concerning this game.
Moreover I don't expect any 'covering over cracks' to be an issue here.We are well aware of our limitations and indeed our strengths,so there are no illusions being manifested after one good performance.
However,it does show that Offaly hurling still has a beating heart and no matter what transpires,we are never too far away from upsetting the odds...shur that has been our modus operandi for time immemorial.
What accrues from this game and the replay remains to be seen,but judging by the raised levels of confidence on here,I'm certain that within the camp itself,there is a surge of self-belief and now that must be used to good effect the next day.
There was alot said about poor management prior to the game,mainly that they were devoid of any tactical nous whatsoever,yet that was proved to be fallacious on Sunday.IMO,the tactics worked the charm and nearly provided the unlikliest of victories.The main concern is that it may not work again like that on Saturday night.Can an alternative plan be implemented?Or do we go the same way again and risk playing into Galway's hands?
Again,only time will tell in this regard.

Hahn The Faithful!

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Ur finding it hard to cover up ur jealousy old yellar :evil:
First ball is when you make your mark

ditchhurler
Intermediate

Post by ditchhurler »

well done to ye on the draw. great spirit. pity this team is v bipolar, with massive highs and shuddering lows.. Also god to see 133 replies on achieving a draw, and 49 on a 29 point beating.. hurling was finished and no one wanted to discuss it, then ye get a draw and everyone comments! are ye covering over the cracks?! fairplay to the team and management. rem galway aint world beaters. the neat wexford handy on the score board but found it wicked hard. and this was a wexford team who lost to ouselves and struggled to get out of div 2, so galway aint no world beaters.. do ye really want a crack at kk?? jayus the are awesome![quote][/quote]

If i was you i'd be less concerned what Offaly do and more concerned what you are going to do with your summer once Laois knock ye out at the weekend. I think you will find Galway were second favourites for the All Ireland, current league champions and had beaten Kilkenny in Nowlan Park only a few short months ago.

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Offaly rule out appeal

22 June 2010

Offaly won't been appealing against Ger Farragher's disputed 'point' for Galway in last Sunday's drawn Leinster SHC semi-final at Croke Park.

TV replays showed that Farragher's third-minute sideline had gone wide, but underdogs Offaly battled back to earn a replay in Portlaoise on Saturday night. The incident revived memories of Brian Morley's point that never was for Westmeath against Offaly in the 2004 Leinster SFC, which separated the sides at the final whistle.

"We might contact the Leinster Council just to make it clear that we were disappointed," Offaly secretary Martin Boland said in the Irish Daily Star.

"But there's not much point in going any further."

Leinster Council chairman Sheamus Howlin is opposed to the idea of introducing video technology as he believes games could not be "stopped every five minutes" to consult video footage.

"I was in the Ard Comhairle section (of the Hogan Stand) and I thought it was wide, not by two feet or anything like that, maybe be no more than a foot. But a man next to me thought it went over," he said.

"I don't think replays would work. There are so many scores in our games compared to rugby where there might be only a few and soccer where it might finish 1-0 or 2-0."

Meanwhile, Offaly are unlikely to appeal Daniel Currams' controversial straight red card in the same game.
(taken from HS)

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Dooley confident of another good showing
22 June 2010

Offaly manager Joe Dooley believes his team can put it up to Galway again in Saturday's Leinster SHC semi-final replay at Portlaoise.

The Faithful County belied their underdog status when they forced a draw with the National League champions at Croke Park on Sunday, despite playing most of the second half with 14 men.

"Galway will be coming back very strong again now next week, we know that; they're league champions, Walsh Cup champions, a big strong team, good hurlers - they probably feel they left it behind them yesterday," he said.

"Hopefully we'll get confidence from this, though, put it up to them again, and I believe we will. Overall I'd be very pleased with the way it went; it was the first day out in Croke Park for a lot of them, Shane (his son, scorer of the last-puck free from 70 metres to draw the game), Joe Bergin, Daniel Currams - probably 11 or 12 of them, a big day yet they really stood up to it."

(taken from HS)

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Also god to see 133 replies on achieving a draw, and 49 on a 29 point beating.. hurling was finished and no one wanted to discuss it, then ye get a draw and everyone comments! are ye covering over the cracks?!

Them Wexford lads know all about 'covering over of cracks' judging by the outstanding performance by that Yellowbelly in the caravan!! :lol:

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

With Molloy injured and Currams suspended,who is going to play wing forward?
Cathal Parlon? Odhran Kealey?
I would personally go with Kealey because of his pace. He could run all day and both Galway wing backs are poor enough,maybe this is an area we could exploit on Saturday.
I would go with a starting 15 of:
1.James Dempsey
2.David Franks
3.David Kenny
4.Stephen Egan
5.James Rigney
6.Paul Cleary
7.Derek Morkan
8.Rory Hannify
9.Dylan Hayden
10.Brian Carroll
11.Joe Brady
12.Odhran Kealey
13.Brendan Murphy
14.Joe Bergin
15.Shane Dooley

Any thoughts?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Kealey is a bit too inexperienced and small to play wing forward. This could reduce Dempsey's puckout options.
You could start Dylan Hayden at wing forward and bring in Kevin Brady at midfield.

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Offaly to appeal Currams red card

22 June 2010

Joe Dooley has said that Offaly hope to get Daniel Currams four week ban lifted to allow him to line out in the replay against Galway.

The Faithful's substitute received a straight red card in the second half of the drawn Leinster semi-final on Sunday, with most pundits describing the decision as harsh.

The Central Competitions Control Committee have proposed a four week ban but Dooley said today that the county board intend to request to go before the Central Hearing Committee in order to make the case that the suspension is unwarranted.

The fact that Derek Molloy misses out on Saturday's replay with an ankle injury means that Offaly's forward line is depleted, which is one of the main reasons they wish to have Currams available for this weekend.
(taken from HS)