Issue 7 of Sliotar Magazine

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
murt
Junior C

Issue 7 of Sliotar Magazine

Post by murt »

Lads, with your kind permission

Sliotar
(Vol 1, Nr 7)

Editor: PM O’Sullivan

• That summer feeling: Jackie Tyrell remembers how he started as a hurler.

• Being different: Simon Lambert talks about his desire for Dublin hurling.

• Kilkenny’s smashing record: Christy O’Connor’s updates his celebrated article.

• Drawing the line: PM O’Sullivan on the dynamic between Dublin and Kilkenny.

• Tom Dack’s brilliant cartoon.

• Crossing the river: Pat Donegan on the Galway-Offaly rivalry.

• A sorry scenario: PM O’Sullivan on questions surrounding Cork and Limerick.

• Festival of hurling: Tomás McCarthy on 40 years of Féile na nGael.

• Three highly original columns (‘Backspin’, ‘Hurling By Numbers’, ‘Season’s Meetings’).

JACKIE TYRELL: “Everyone is out to beat us and we know that. Although every team will have a specific plan to beat us, we have to forget about the mental tactics and just play the game of hurling as it’s meant to be played.”

SIMON LAMBERT: “Losing to Limerick last summer was a very hard defeat to take. Very hard. We had a few chats after it, over the winter, and we said it could never happen again.”

CHRISTY O’CONNOR: “There have been enough distress signals to put Cody on his guard. It is difficult to identify whether the current situation is down to them or to the chasing pack’s acceleration. Whatever it is, more and more teams are getting at them.”

PAT DONEGAN: “The loudest reaction to Galway joining the Leinster Championship came from Offaly. A chink of brightness was the possibility of resuming Galway-Offaly rivalry on a more regular basis. Hard to believe now that the counties met at the highest level six times between 1980 and 1990.”

PM O’SULLIVAN: “Why does Justin McCarthy want to stay in Limerick? Why does the man who went and did such seminal coaching in Antrim and Clare back in the 1970s want to lessen his reputation by staying where he is not wanted?”

TOMÁS MCCARTHY: “With rugby and soccer presently in fierce competition with the GAA for fresh talent, the fact that these young sportsmen and women can play gaelic games in an enjoyable atmosphere is vital in promoting the codes for the next generation. Hurling is a fragile bloom and needs to be constantly tended.”

MURT FLYNN (‘Season’s Meetings’): “For some time now, I have harboured dreams of getting a job in RTÉ Sport. Alas, ’tis all in vain. They never write, never call. Like a holiday romance, it is all one way traffic. The last thing I need is a restraining order signed by a lonely District Court judge.”

LEO MCGOUGH (‘Hurling By Numbers’): “Not only that: the lineout of each county team from 1887 to the present day has been recorded. If you or yours played Senior championship hurling for whichever county, the name will be in this unique data base.”

• PM O’SULLIVAN (‘Backspin’): “To me, incipient tension between Cork and Kilkenny is the volcano beneath newsprint’s mountain. I find the wisps of smoke weird, and I expect conflagration down the line. Traditionally, the counties have a warm relationship, much the safe side of volcanic.”