Leinster Senior Hurling Offaly V Galway

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Leinster Senior Hurling Offaly V Galway

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offaly have played Cork 3 times in the last year. The games seem to follow a familiar pattern. Offaly initially give it socks but Cork canter home easily in the end.

2009 Qualifier - Offaly 1 point behind after 44 minutes - Cork win by 13 points

2010 NHL Rnd2 - Offaly 2 points behind after 60 minutes - Cork win by 11 points

2010 Challenge - Offaly 4 points behind after 35 minutes - Cork win by 15 points

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Come on lads, Croker is all that counts. Get up there next Sunday and support the team. No more than a 1000 in Parnell. After Sunday we can bitch all we like about the team and management. Hurling is struggling in Offaly, but look what a young Clare team did against Waterford? If our lads let rip they can restore some pride, but they must know they are in the last chance saloon in that regard? If they are well beaten next Sunday, then as far as I would be concerned the year is over, so its up the road for me and the family in the hope that we can turn back the clock and give them a right auld rattle!! C'mon Offaly!! :twisted:

Bord na Mona man
All Star

I'll be there supporting of course. Hoping for the best, Galway should be respected but not feared.

However since 1998, Offaly have received a double digit championship beating in every championship season bar 2003 and 2004 (only 9 points).

I'd love to think that it will be close coming down the final straight. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was over as a contest after 45 minutes.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

From the Examiner, The Offaly team which lined out against Cork yesterday was- Dempsey; Franks, Cleary, Verney; Egan, Kenny, Morkan; Hanniffy (0-1), K Brady (0-1); Carroll (0-3), Healion (0-1), Kealey, Dooley (0-8, 4f, 1 65), Bergin (0-1), Murphy. Subs: Hayden for K Brady (ht), J Brady for Morkan (ht), Oakley for Franks (43m), Parlon (0-1) for Healion (47m), Cordial for Hanniffy (56m), Murphy for Kenny (61m), Mulrooney for Dooley (61m), Kelly for Carroll (62), Wynne for Verney (64m).

Despite the heavy beating, this might turn out to be a good workout. Better to have a challenge match against quality opposition than to be playing club matches in my view.

Dempsey in goal was no surprise. Kealey & Carroll both at wing forward didn’t have winning the puckout in mind. Ger Healion seems to have lined out at centre forward. Of course that’s presuming the team lined out as listed in the Examiner.

Hard to make sense of the two half-time substitutions – I wonder if Hayden went wing back and not Joe Brady. No Rigney, Morkan withdrawn at the break, Franks off shortly after. Injuries? Such a depletion of the defence would have caused serious difficulties. Oh, and Cork made 7 substitutions at half time.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Anyone any word of a team yet for Sunday or know when it is been named?

Bord na Mona man
All Star

http://www.galwaynews.ie/13394-attitude-key-hurlers

Attitude the key for hurlers
June 15, 2010 - 8:46am
Harte & Hayes in race for fitness

GALWAY attacking duo Aidan Harte and Damien Hayes are both in a race to be fit for the Tribesmen’s Leinster senior hurling semi-final clash against neighbours Offaly in Croke Park on Sunday (4pm).

Gort man Harte has been struggling with a hip injury which he sustained in the club championship defeat to against St Thomas’ a fortnight ago, while Portumna pocket rocket Hayes has been sidelined the past week with a knee injury.

According to Galway boss John McIntyre, the management team is monitoring both players closely.

“Aidan will be given every opportunity to prove his fitness before the Offaly game,” says McIntyre. “He has done very well for us so far this year.

“Damien’s is knee trouble. He didn’t participate in our trial match in Pearse Stadium last Saturday. There is every chance, though, that he will make it.”

As it is, Galway will have to make at least one enforced change from the side that defeated Wexford 2-22 to 1- 14, with Portumna half-forward Andy Smith missing this one through suspension following his red card in the Leinster quarter-final. While McIntyre and company will not finalise their team selection until Thursday night, Liam Mellows’ Aonghus Callanan is sure to be a frontrunner for the vacant half-forward berth.

Of course, McIntyre is no stranger to Offaly, having managed the Faithful County on two occasions in the past. “Obviously, I have a history with Offaly, but that will not come into the equation next Sunday. I am not the first manager caught in this situation and I won’t be the last,” says the Tipperary native.

“Business is business. All I am interested in is Galway doing themselves justice against a county that has a good championship record against them. I think, though, that our attitude will be key to the result.”

The westerners must be cautious entering this tie. Since their first meeting in 1980, Galway and Offaly have met six times in the championship, with the Tribesmen only winning two of those encounters. Those were in 1980 and ’88 while Offaly boasted victories in 1981, ‘84, ‘85 and 1994.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Bord na Mona man wrote: The westerners must be cautious entering this tie. Since their first meeting in 1980, Galway and Offaly have met six times in the championship, with the Tribesmen only winning two of those encounters. Those were in 1980 and ’88 while Offaly boasted victories in 1981, ‘84, ‘85 and 1994.
They must have forgotten Galway's win over Offaly in 1990.

Championship meetings:

1994 Offaly 2-13 Galway 1-10
1990 Offaly 2-7 Galway 1-16
1988 Offaly 3-11 Galway 3-18
1985 Offaly 2-11 Galway 1-12
1984 Offaly 4-15 Galway 1-10
1981 Offaly 2-12 Galway 0-15
1980 Offaly 3-10 Galway 4-9

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Hard to believe it's been five years since our hurlers last visited headquarters and it's a pity that this visit is shrouded in such trepidation.

Heavy analysis is hardly required. Put simply, to win on Sunday will require the best Offaly performance since the 2000 All-Ireland semi final. Recent signs haven't exactly been encouraging; last weekend in Cork, U-21 loss featuring umpteen seniors, that game against Antrim.
Now in his third season, Joe Dooley has yet to impart any tactical nous upon this team, any discernible style of play. Expect plan A to be Shane Dooley and Joe Bergin standing behind their men awaiting long ball. This won't produce a game winning score. Plan B doesn't exist.

Galway motor nicely. Surely it's a good sign of a team when an 11 point beating of Wexford is regarded as only a partial success. You can be damn sure that Tipperary would gladly take the same in a couple of weeks. A rejuvenated Ger Farragher (gifted, gifted hurler), fit again David Collins and some young lad called Joe are the chief worries for Offaly.

As for the farce of this game being in Croke Park, I think the below satrial post by Exile on KilkennyCats.com sums it up pretty well:

''Leinster Council moved quickly today to dispel rumours that the Leinster SHC semi-finals will be played at Portlaoise on Sunday, June 20. A spokesman for the council explained that the idea of having the matches at Portlaoise had been considered, but was dismissed as "not stupid enough".

"Leinster Council goes to great lengths to ensure there is no atmosphere at our biggest matches" the spokesperson explained. "holding the two matches as a double header in a venue suited to all participating counties and ensuring a good attendance would completely undermine that policy. Because these matches are almost certainly very predictable, we saw an opportunity to really drive down the incentive to attend, and to create an eerie, underwhelming atmosphere at a hugely oversized stadium. I mean, we might as well start encouraging young kids to attend games. I think some people in the grassroots are just too detached from the realities of being an administrator these days."

The spokeman confirmed that the games will be refereed "within an inch of their lives, thanks be to God".

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Molloy concern as Offaly delay team selection

Derek Molloy has emerged as a major doubt for Offaly’s Leinster GAA Hurling Senior Championship semi-final clash with Galway on Sunday afternoon at Croke Park.

The wing-forward sprained an ankle in training last week and was unable to play any part in the challenge game against Cork at Páirc Uí Chaoimh on Sunday.

Molloy, who was sent off in the extra-time quarter-final win over Antrim for a second yellow card offence, will be given every chance to prove his fitness, with Offaly boss Joe Dooley set to delay naming his team until later in the week.

Dooley will also give fitness tests to defenders James Rigney and David Franks, who picked up injuries in the 3-22 to 0-16 defeat to the Rebels.

Franks is struggling with a calf injury, while Rigney was forced off on Leeside with a groin problem.

Meanwhile, Brendan Murphy, Ger Healion and Ger Oakley, all of whom were named on the bench against the Saffrons, are back in contention for starting places after recovering from injury in recent weeks.

(Taken from gaa.ie)
Last edited by Offaly2010 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

I think one of the key areas on Sunday will be the battle between the Galway half forward line and our half back line. Regarded by Galway supporters as their weakest line it has to be an area where Offaly do better than just merely break even. Provided Joe C doesn't start there, it is probably the only line on the pitch where Galway would not have one really quality player. Indeed Galway have yet to find the right combination for that three, Smith is out so the three places could go to any of Harte, Tannion, Hayes, Gantley, Joe C, Donnelon.

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Dooley sweating on key duo

16 June 2010

Offaly hurling manager Joe Dooley is sweating on the fitness of both James Rigney and Derek Molloy ahead of Sunday's Leinster SHC semi-final against Galway.

Wing-back Rigney is currently nursing a groin injury, while attacker Molloy is recovering from an ankle problem which saw him on crutches for the two days and while Dooley is hopeful Rigney will play some part against the NFL champions at Croke Park he is concerned that the game will come too soon for the latter.

"We're keeping our fingers crossed that James will be okay," said Dooley. "But I'd say it will be very touch-and-go for Derek to make the match.

"He was on crutches for a few days, and while he's able to put a bit of weight on his ankle now, the injury is still a bit slow in coming around."

Offaly are set to name their team for the clash with the Tribesmen at a training session tonight, with Rigney and Molloy to be given closer to the weekend to prove their fitness to the manager after missing the Faithful men's 3-22 to 0-16 challenge defeat to Cork last Sunday at Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

(Taken from HS)

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Well lads got the tickets yesterday,Lower Tier of Cusack Stand.
I'm in section 302 Row T and I was just wondering if anyone would know if Row T would be near the front or towards the back of the stand?

Cheers.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

half way up. they start at A. you should be just about safe from rain

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Offaly2010 wrote:Well lads got the tickets yesterday,Lower Tier of Cusack Stand.
I'm in section 302 Row T and I was just wondering if anyone would know if Row T would be near the front or towards the back of the stand?

Cheers.
302 is down near the corner of the Cusack.
You could suss out unsold seats nearer the middle and move to them at some stage of the afternoon.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:
As for the farce of this game being in Croke Park, I think the below satrial post by Exile on KilkennyCats.com sums it up pretty well:

''Leinster Council moved quickly today to dispel rumours that the Leinster SHC semi-finals will be played at Portlaoise on Sunday, June 20. A spokesman for the council explained that the idea of having the matches at Portlaoise had been considered, but was dismissed as "not stupid enough".

"Leinster Council goes to great lengths to ensure there is no atmosphere at our biggest matches" the spokesperson explained. "holding the two matches as a double header in a venue suited to all participating counties and ensuring a good attendance would completely undermine that policy. Because these matches are almost certainly very predictable, we saw an opportunity to really drive down the incentive to attend, and to create an eerie, underwhelming atmosphere at a hugely oversized stadium. I mean, we might as well start encouraging young kids to attend games. I think some people in the grassroots are just too detached from the realities of being an administrator these days."

The spokeman confirmed that the games will be refereed "within an inch of their lives, thanks be to God".
While there are strong arguments for Portlaoise, I'm still glad Offaly are getting a run in Croke Park. Five years is a long time to be kept out of there.
The stadium will be deserted, but more people will attend than if it were in Portlaoise.

Also, financial windfalls or expected atmosphere shouldn't dictate who plays in HQ. Offaly hurlers have as much right to be there as the Dublin footballers.