Uibh Fhaili SFC odds 2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
theman
All Star

Re: Uibh Fhaili SFC odds 2010

Post by theman »

Lone Shark wrote:
theman wrote:Anyone got any odds on the intermediate football? Maybe Loan Shark can draw up a rough idea of the odds :D
I'm not working for any bookie these days, but if you asked me to price it, this would be what I'd be thinking of.

Shannonbridge 10/3
Doon 4/1
St Rynaghs 5/1
Raheen 6/1
Birr 6/1
Clonbullogue 10/1
Rhode 12/1
Durrow 16/1
Bracknagh 25/1
Clara 33/1
Ballyfore 50/1
Kilclonfert 66/1

Might seem like West Offaly bias there but I just think that the North Offaly clubs have a bit more to find realistically.

I think your spot on there Loan Shark. Shannonbridge and Doon will no doubt be there abouts come september. Its hard to know with the likes of Rynaghs, Rhode and Clara. Rynaghs are a dual club and will rely on a few hurlers for the football team while Rhode and Clara could compete with all the intermediate teams but will suffer due to lads been promoted to there senior teams. Birr have quality footballers but i think they will be concentrating more on claiming back there senior hurling. Looks set to be a good championship though.
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Ladbrokes have stepped into the breach now with SFC odds as well. Odds against about Rhode and a few bigger prices that might be worth keeping an eye on for those so inclined.

Rhode 11/10
Clara 15/8
Tullamore 10/1
Shamrocks 12/1
Ferbane 16/1
Gracefield 16/1
Walsh Island 16/1
Erin Rovers 20/1
Tubber 20/1
Ballycumber 33/1
Edenderry 33/1
St Brigids 40/1
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

I see just over them odds its written "Thursday 1st July" as the starting date? Do Ladbrooks know something the rest of us werent told?

tacmot
Senior

Post by tacmot »

I notice dat Ladb's have abit of diff in their odds between Tullamore and WI, compared to our friends in PP'Ss. Maby they know sumtn on dat score aswell.

paulwatts
Junior A

Post by paulwatts »

the way im going to look at this is name my favorite and then my darkhorse

senior football:
favorite= rhode
dark horse=walsh island
intermediate football:
favorite=shannonbridge
darkhorse=birr
juniorfootball:
favorite=kk
darkhorse=shamrocks

and i knw im going off the piont but my starting 15 fr the championship v meath is:
1 a mulhall
2 p sullivan
3s brady
4 b darby
5 p mconway
6 r dalton
7 k slattery
8 b connor
9 c mcmanus
10 n darby
11 j coughlan
12 a lynam
13 ken casey
14 john reynolds
15 n mcnamee

ballinamereman1
County player

Post by ballinamereman1 »

i somehow feel that this is the year for shamrocks.. after so many years of heartbreak for the club i think the finally have the right man in charge to lead them to the promiseland.. my dark horse would be walsh island wonderful football club.. the equivalent of birr hurlers in the football ranks..
speaking of the birr men i would rank them high on my list in the hunt for senior football.. i would go as far as to put them as my dark horse for the intermediate just behind doon as favourites.. i feel it is my duty to give a mention to the durrow footballers but i certainly wont praise them infact i would say there in trouble of getting relegated before a ball is even kicked.. i was watching them in durrow in a challenge match about 3 weeks ago and we were diabolical.. lads were fumbling and kicking stupid ball away i never seen the likes of some of the passing and stupid shot taking that went on.. lads were playing for the name on the back of the jersey and not the name on the front..

however it makes for an interesting year on the football front and heres hoping rhode dont get a sniff of a trophy!!

Thereorthereabouts
County player

Post by Thereorthereabouts »

Clara for the Senior.
The Island to put up a good show.

Raheen for the Intermediate.
Clonbollogue to cause a couple of shocks.
The fight is won or lost far away from the witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road; long before I dance under those lights

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

Lone Shark wrote:Ladbrokes have stepped into the breach now with SFC odds as well. Odds against about Rhode and a few bigger prices that might be worth keeping an eye on for those so inclined.

Rhode 11/10
Clara 15/8
Tullamore 10/1
Shamrocks 12/1
Ferbane 16/1
Gracefield 16/1
Walsh Island 16/1
Erin Rovers 20/1
Tubber 20/1
Ballycumber 33/1
Edenderry 33/1
St Brigids 40/1
A fool and his money is easily parted so for that reason alone its safe to say Ladbrokes are giving nothing away...
A new format, A new contender but will it be a new dawn for Offaly football?
As the odds suggest...

The worrying aspect for a County supporter must surely be Tullamore´s tag as third favourite. 2007 never seemed as far away. The elephant in the room heavily hints that the blues resources will be stretched to breaking point, in both codes across all teams, mediocrity surely beckons?

To champion Walsh Island anymore must almost seem like idolatry, considering other Intermediate winners fate, but I doubt i´m alone in the position. The boys that were pushed aside years ago will look to turn the tables on the establishment. The Shamrocks of 10 years ago? Or the ´Bridge of 20? Spot a pattern? If the attitude remains, so will the results.

To discuss the championship without another mention of Rahan would be controversial but not exactly essential. Time waits for no man. Maybe its geography but without unity, no team goes far. A championship too requires grit, ignorance, ruthlessness and above all belief. Manager upheavels, expanding waistlines and heavy legs don´t necessarily mean everything but a true ball winner does. It´s fantasy but Dave Kavanagh, Dinny Kelly or Padraig Dunne would be the difference.

If Neville Coughlan is worried about ever meeting a certain Mr. Dowling then Karl Slattery will surely know the feeling. Hope springs eternal but who here likes the vibes? A championship can never be won in April or May but it can be lost. Haphazard in preparation, Gracefield´s personnel are forever evolving but the end product will remain.

If tradition alone won a championship then Ferbane would have added to their stylish dozen by now. In a group of quality though, 2010 won´t be the year. Ferbane´s peerage include WI, G and B/C but on what basis?. Scoring forwards were ten a penny many moons ago but can someone show me one now?

Though in the weaker group, and still not in the descent, Ballycumber can justifiably wonder at their exclusion from the top table. 33/1 is value in any mans eyes. Size and skill are in abundance but a championship cannot be won with one cultured left foot, even if its as sweet as ever.

Favourites is a tag worn well by Rhode for the best part of a decade and rightly so. In a County where most Senior teams average 60-70 trainings annually, the green and gold are routinely breaking the Century. It´s a tad unfair!. The best panel, player, forwards, style, underage and defence but still in pursuit of invincibility.

The last contender is obviously the worthy champions. The link between Pat Flanagan though and success is impossible to ignore. With the players sated by victory and its architect distracted, can the hawks put together back to back titles? Early signs are promising and with the seeds of underage success blossoming it seems a distinct possibility.

Though our championship lacks the makeweights of yesteryear, it´s demeaning in itself, let alone to the ignored, to celebrate teams who simply havent the tools to carve out a glorious year.
It´s a straight shootout so. Anyone else expecting a big dog to fall?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Ferbane Forever
Junior C

Post by Ferbane Forever »

Excellent post. Well said. It's Rhode for me but the Reds seem to be moving in the right direction and should feature.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Silken Thomas wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:Ladbrokes have stepped into the breach now with SFC odds as well. Odds against about Rhode and a few bigger prices that might be worth keeping an eye on for those so inclined.

Rhode 11/10
Clara 15/8
Tullamore 10/1
Shamrocks 12/1
Ferbane 16/1
Gracefield 16/1
Walsh Island 16/1
Erin Rovers 20/1
Tubber 20/1
Ballycumber 33/1
Edenderry 33/1
St Brigids 40/1
A fool and his money is easily parted so for that reason alone its safe to say Ladbrokes are giving nothing away...
A new format, A new contender but will it be a new dawn for Offaly football?
As the odds suggest...

The worrying aspect for a County supporter must surely be Tullamore´s tag as third favourite. 2007 never seemed as far away. The elephant in the room heavily hints that the blues resources will be stretched to breaking point, in both codes across all teams, mediocrity surely beckons?

To champion Walsh Island anymore must almost seem like idolatry, considering other Intermediate winners fate, but I doubt i´m alone in the position. The boys that were pushed aside years ago will look to turn the tables on the establishment. The Shamrocks of 10 years ago? Or the ´Bridge of 20? Spot a pattern? If the attitude remains, so will the results.

To discuss the championship without another mention of Rahan would be controversial but not exactly essential. Time waits for no man. Maybe its geography but without unity, no team goes far. A championship too requires grit, ignorance, ruthlessness and above all belief. Manager upheavels, expanding waistlines and heavy legs don´t necessarily mean everything but a true ball winner does. It´s fantasy but Dave Kavanagh, Dinny Kelly or Padraig Dunne would be the difference.

If Neville Coughlan is worried about ever meeting a certain Mr. Dowling then Karl Slattery will surely know the feeling. Hope springs eternal but who here likes the vibes? A championship can never be won in April or May but it can be lost. Haphazard in preparation, Gracefield´s personnel are forever evolving but the end product will remain.

If tradition alone won a championship then Ferbane would have added to their stylish dozen by now. In a group of quality though, 2010 won´t be the year. Ferbane´s peerage include WI, G and B/C but on what basis?. Scoring forwards were ten a penny many moons ago but can someone show me one now?

Though in the weaker group, and still not in the descent, Ballycumber can justifiably wonder at their exclusion from the top table. 33/1 is value in any mans eyes. Size and skill are in abundance but a championship cannot be won with one cultured left foot, even if its as sweet as ever.

Favourites is a tag worn well by Rhode for the best part of a decade and rightly so. In a County where most Senior teams average 60-70 trainings annually, the green and gold are routinely breaking the Century. It´s a tad unfair!. The best panel, player, forwards, style, underage and defence but still in pursuit of invincibility.

The last contender is obviously the worthy champions. The link between Pat Flanagan though and success is impossible to ignore. With the players sated by victory and its architect distracted, can the hawks put together back to back titles? Early signs are promising and with the seeds of underage success blossoming it seems a distinct possibility.

Though our championship lacks the makeweights of yesteryear, it´s demeaning in itself, let alone to the ignored, to celebrate teams who simply havent the tools to carve out a glorious year.
It´s a straight shootout so. Anyone else expecting a big dog to fall?
Extremely well put, and you also managed to tow the club line by completely leaving the Reds un-mentioned. Loyalty to club first and prose second, which no-one on this board could dispute is the correct course of action! :D

I thought Clara were a touch of value myself, but the absence of Pat Flanagan would leave me rethinking matters. They've enough talent and know how in that club to go a long way on autopilot, but even so I'd be amazed if a loss as severe as that wasn't felt. He was very good tactically last year and the edge he gave them was clear to see.

On the field, there is no obvious reason why they shouldn't remain at the top table. They had plenty of good young players who should improve for another year, while even the extra twelve months is unlikely to affect what veterans like Scott Brady and Tony Dalton bring to the table - I don't think anyone would go out against either of these lads expecting anything other than a fiercely competitive match even if it was the 2020 championship, never mind 2010.

In terms of a third force, I do belive any wild card this year would be very wild, to say the least of it. The Island fit some of the bill for me, while Edenderry could surprise a few people if they can keep this intensity going. Big "IF" though.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

It is very very hard to look beyond Rhode and Clara. Walsh Island or Edenderry wont win it but i dont think they will struggle either. A quarter final spot is a good year for them

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Lone Shark wrote:I thought Clara were a touch of value myself, but the absence of Pat Flanagan would leave me rethinking matters.
Just to clarify, Pat Flanagan is still very much in the mix.

The 6-team groups have all the makings of a long summer for a number of teams. Hopefully, when the last of the football is to be played, Clara will still be involved and the campaign with Westmeath will be over, ensuring he can give his undivided attention to the Magpies.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

Odds from Ladbrokes

Rhode 11/10
Clara 15/8
Tullamore 10/1
Shamrocks 12/1
Ferbane 16/1
Gracefield 16/1
Walsh Island 16/1