Lusmagh GAA Official Opening - Sunday May 9th

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

And so to the match . . .

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

And so to the match. Some things became more clear – some still clear as mud.

One thing clear is Joe Brady’s central role at centre half forward. It’s back to 2008 again with Joe breaking the ball for others getting in close to win the subsequent break. It took a while to get going as Clare were well on top and opened up an early lead.

When Offaly did get going, it was with some good combination play involving Brian Carroll moving infield onto the break and the midfielders taking up the space on the flanks. Kevin Brady and Rory Hanniffy look like a good combination and most Offaly scores came from outside the 45.

A pity little came from the full forward line as plenty of ball went in there throughout. Derek Molloy got plenty of ball but little came of it by way of scores, while Joseph Bergin looked out-or-sorts. A switch between the two might well benefit both. Cathal Parlon tried fierce hard but nothing went right for him.

Indeed, Joe Brady made several subtle touches; most notably when combining with Brian Carroll, and Joe took some good scores himself.

The defence was solid after they came to terms with Clare after the visitors’ early scoring burst. I wonder if Brian Mullins’ introduction into goal at the break indicates that management will go with experience rather than youth in Parnell Park. Selection in defence will also be interesting. Paul Cleary, David Kenny and Derek Morkan will wear 3, 6 & 7 respectively. David Franks will surely line out at corner back, so what of the rest of the defence?

James Rigney had a fine game on Sunday and is a cert. Though short in stature, the Kinnitty lad is good enough in the air and tough enough in the physical exchanges to be seriously considered at wing back. I know the match had fizzled out but his display at centre half back in the last ten minutes was impressive. A half back line of Rigney, Kenny & Morkan is not unrealistic.

Interesting too that Stephen Brown, Michael Cordial, James Mulrooney, Dermot Mooney & Mark Quinlan have been called into the panel. Nothing like a bit of freshening up. None are real speedsters though and Offaly would be better served with someone like one of the Egans or Odhran Kealey (if fit). A quick corner forward, facing goal, would complement Shane Dooley and Derek Molloy/Joseph Bergin in attack.

Finally, it happened alot that, when going for a 50:50 ball, the Offaly player tended to allow the Clare opponent to jab lift then attempting to flick the ball away before the Clareman could catch the ball. What happened to getting to the ball first? What happens if the opponent gets the ball into their hands before the Offaly man gets the flick? Who’s going to react first to the resultant breaking ball? What happens if Michael Haverty is refereeing? Crying “ah ref” won’t remedy an avoidable calamity.

Much to be considered over the course of the next three weeks.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

allstar2010
All Star

Re: Lusmagh GAA Official Opening - Sunday May 9th

Post by allstar2010 »

Interesting that 2 of the new recruits onto the panel are from the Clareen team that got bet 5pts by Brosna Gaels!! Joe looking after his own??... on a positive, im delighted to see cordial and brown back on the panel, its seems their hunger for inter county hurling is back and their addition is good news and gives us more options.

ballinamereman1
County player

Post by ballinamereman1 »

great to see brown and diggy back.. i feel brown is one of our best forwards.. if offaly are to do well this year we need the likes of brown, dooley, carroll firing on all cylinders.. suddenly throw dylan hayden into that forward line and it looks very potent.. i think hayden, brown, dooley and carroll and two out of bergin, currams, molloy, brady and parlon is the way to go and suddenly offaly have scoring forwards.. my team would be
1. B Mullins
2. D Franks
3. P Cleary
4. J Rigney
5. K Brady
6. D Kenny
7. D Morkan
8. R Hanniffy
9. B Carroll
10. D Hayden/ S Brown
11. J Brady
12. D Molloy
13. S Brown/ D Hayden
14. J Bergin
15. S Dooley

i know not many people would agree with it but every player from 8 to 15 is capable of raising white flags and thats what wins you games.. i would like to see this team play but i dont think it will happen. molloy on the wing offers a good target for a puck out.. i think carroll should be midfield. he seems to play well there.. he sweeps back and clears a good bit of ball can take a score too.. i always thought it was his best position and he proved it to me anyway with the displays against tipp in the league dublin in the league and coolderry last weekend in the championship when playing there..

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

A bit early to be considering starting Stephen Browne. How fit would he be?
Even the case for a role from the bench isn't clearcut. Over the years his shots to scores ratio hasn't always held up.

If we were to spring someone from the bench to whack over a score from 40+ metres, I'd favour Cordial.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Fitness would be a problem for both Stephen Browne and Diggy Cordial but its good to have them back in the panel.
offaly have had problem's in the forward's the last few year's they have even put Kevin Brady in centre forward this year which i think was mad.

If Stephen Browne and Diggy put their heads down and work hard with the panel over the next few week's and hurl well they could make the
championship team or bench for the Antrim game. Stephen Browne is a lovely striker of the ball and can score from far out the field he is a
better hurler than alot of them that are in on the panel its just getting it out of him is the problem.

Diggy is another hurler that went off the scene after he had two or three good year's when he first came on the scene . he is another lovely striker
of the ball and can score would make a good half forward on the offaly team. don't forget Browne and Cordial are not that old and would make that offaly
team today if they put in the time on the training field.

Shane Dooley has being carried that forward line the last two year's, and when he has a off day we struggle to get score's . if we get to the leinster semil-final
this year i think it will be galway in croker and they will put ollie canning over on shane or they have Damien Joyce so they could tied up Dooley so that leave's
us with Joe Bergin or Brian Carroll left to do the scoring for us. Joe Bergin is like the weather good one day bad most day's that's why Joe Dooley has brought
Browne and Cordial onto the panel offaly lack scoring forward's and if they show well they will be on the first 15, offaly play Dublin this weekend they might get another run there.

ballinamereman1
County player

Post by ballinamereman1 »

ballinamereman1 wrote:great to see brown and diggy back.. i feel brown is one of our best forwards.. if offaly are to do well this year we need the likes of brown, dooley, carroll firing on all cylinders.. suddenly throw dylan hayden into that forward line and it looks very potent.. i think hayden, brown, dooley and carroll and two out of bergin, currams, molloy, brady and parlon is the way to go and suddenly offaly have scoring forwards.. my team would be
1. B Mullins
2. D Franks
3. P Cleary
4. J Rigney
5. K Brady
6. D Kenny
7. D Morkan
8. R Hanniffy
9. B Carroll
10. D Hayden/ S Brown
11. J Brady
12. D Molloy
13. S Brown/ D Hayden
14. J Bergin
15. S Dooley

i know not many people would agree with it but every player from 8 to 15 is capable of raising white flags and thats what wins you games.. i would like to see this team play but i dont think it will happen. molloy on the wing offers a good target for a puck out.. i think carroll should be midfield. he seems to play well there.. he sweeps back and clears a good bit of ball can take a score too.. i always thought it was his best position and he proved it to me anyway with the displays against tipp in the league dublin in the league and coolderry last weekend in the championship when playing there..
i must add that this is the best team i think we have when all fit. not the team that will start against antrim..
I have forgot about brendan murphy. he should be number 10 and let brown go corner with hayden to the bench..
leinsterman wrote: Shane Dooley has being carried that forward line the last two year's, and when he has a off day we struggle to get score's . if we get to the leinster semil-final
this year i think it will be galway in croker and they will put ollie canning over on shane or they have Damien Joyce so they could tied up Dooley so that leave's
us with Joe Bergin or Brian Carroll left to do the scoring for us. Joe Bergin is like the weather good one day bad most day's that's why Joe Dooley has brought
Browne and Cordial onto the panel offaly lack scoring forward's and if they show well they will be on the first 15, offaly play Dublin this weekend they might get another run there.
thank you leinsterman thats the point i was trying to make but you have done it with much more ease and using the right words... :lol: :lol:

anyway my point was that we need a team that from 8 to 15 are all capable of taking a score as we are over relying on shane dooley at the moment.. if we can get a few scoring players and good forwards we are capable of matching the best..
our backs are up to standard its just the lack of scores that is our beating.. if we can address this who knows maybe brian carroll will be walking down those hogan stand steps in september with liam in his hand!!!
:D :D