who will be offaly senior hurling winner's 2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Long John
All Star

Re: who will be offaly senior hurling winner's 2010

Post by Long John »

How did the county panelists play?

Bradys,
Carroll,
Parlon,
Egan,
Dooley,
Shane Kelly.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

Joe Brady had a field day at centre back, tidy, great under the dropping ball, good covering the wings. Anything that dropped near his area he won.

Kevin Brady had a good first half tracking back and generally covering the back line, missed some good opportunitys though, his accuracy needs to improve big time if he wants to line out at midfield or in the forward line for offaly.

Brian Carroll scored quite a bit without really breaking a sweat, scored one great point over his shoulder, again was a little greedy with the ball at times and could have fought a little harder for the ball when the tullamore defense was in possesion.

Parlon missed a lot of chances, some from quiet easy positions, took the wrong option time and time again, really doesnt look like a senior intercounty hurler.

Egan done ok, scored a fantastic point in the second half whilst marking brian carroll, was ok throughout

Shane Dooley was the pick of the forwards on the field, done some damage on barry teehan at corner forward, then moved out to the wing on Alan Corcoran in the second half and scored 3 - 4 points in 15 mins. Was good from placed balls and was always an outlet for tullamore. Probably the best hurler on the field last night

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Friday night's results - Birr3-24 Kilcormac 2-16; Clareen 2-14 'Rynagh's 1-17 & Lusmagh & Brosna Gaels drew 1-9 each.

Thanks to SBM & Botn for the 2 reports. SBM, it doesn't have to be unbiased, t'was all the better for the Kinnitty slant. Indeed you can learn an awful lot from the angle the other side take on matters.

2 things about Coolderry, Shane Connors must be gone off the scene? Interesting too see Joe Brady hurling at 6, so long a problem position for Coolderry.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Great win for Birr last night the only low point is that kk got a big score against us 2-16 would win most game's.
its to early in the year to be getting to excite . but as i posted on this thread before if Birr have their heads right
there is not a team in offaly that will hurl them this year. to beat last year's runner's up bye 11 point's is not a bad
way to start. kinnitty the next day will tell us more about were we are going this year. well done to paul murphy
on his first championship game over birr with a good win long may it continue. :D

ballinamereman1
County player

Post by ballinamereman1 »

now after round one are we any the wiser where the sean robbins will be resting next christmas,, heard birr were very impressive against kk.. already the most be the front runners.. i think coolderry could go far and the might sneak it this year.. the would certainly be my tip for it anyway.. what about the drop?? who will be swapping places with us next year.. :D :D :D :D .. the teams in danger could well be shinrone, shamrocks, lusmagh and brosna.. although to the annoyance of TLS belmont could be involved.. the really shouldnt have bet a poor shamrocks team at the weekend.. it was two horrible goals for shamrocks to concede.. shamrocks seemed to be missing a good few aswell... whats the story with that are the hurlers falling out now???.. i think lusmagh are in serious bother this year.. forget about the opening of the new pitch its some training them boys want.. AND LOTS AND LOTS OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

midlandsbiffo
Junior C

Post by midlandsbiffo »

hey ballinamereman1 who do u think u are comin on here talkn crap about lusmagh needing lots and lots of training because u certainly dont hav a clue what is required to survive at senior level. we`re a small parish and a proud one at that and never had to go and join up with someone which is exactly what ballinamere and durrow did. and i certainly never thought a ballinamere man would mention dressing rooms,that state of the yokes in ballinamere,the smell in them would kill a horse and the pitch is brutal so get ur own house in order before ya can on here slating!

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

midlandsbiffo wrote:hey ballinamereman1 who do u think u are comin on here talkn crap about lusmagh needing lots and lots of training because u certainly dont hav a clue what is required to survive at senior level. we`re a small parish and a proud one at that and never had to go and join up with someone which is exactly what ballinamere and durrow did. and i certainly never thought a ballinamere man would mention dressing rooms,that state of the yokes in ballinamere,the smell in them would kill a horse and the pitch is brutal so get ur own house in order before ya can on here slating!
Well said midlandsbiffo not to mention the player's Lusmagh have gave to all offaly all ireland winning team's.
Lusmagh are one of the great club's in offaly anyone that knows anything about hurling know's that.
Hope to get to the opening of the new pitch and Dressing room's Best of luck to ye.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Yes Leinsterman and midlansbiffo are perfectly right. Ballinameremans comments are out of line.

Well done to Lusmagh, a small area that has done alot for hurling in the county. A lovely pitch over there which is a credit to the club and the work they do.

Ballinamere could learn alot from them.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

POTH,

Shane O'Connor lined out for the Coolderry Intermediates in goals on saturday, played well, but he wanted to give outfield a go this year hence Stephen Corcoran getting the nod thursday night.

On Joe Brady at centre back, he done really well there on thursday night, but his speed remains a problem if the right player (Stephen Brown from Birr, Daniel Currams from Kilcormac etc) is put on him, a low ball will catch him out badly, but the Coolderry selectors must learn, its horses for courses, he works there for most opposition but we shouldnt be too worried about throwing Kevin Brady or Barry Teehan for example into centre back if we find hes not cutting it during a game.

I dont think Ballinamere should be slagging Lusmagh off, they are a whole level above them for christs sake.

On the intermediate championship, I saw 4 games over the weekend, Killurin got a suprise win over birr, Kilcormac beat coolderry by 4, Carrig Riverstown just done enough to get past Shinrone and Drumcullen finally came good to get past a spirited Killavilla side. Its hard to see Drumcullen to be stopped. They made hard work of it on sunday, but they have Conor Gath who scored quite a bit in the second half, one of their midfielders got 4 - 5 very nice points and overall looked a step above killavilla, they badly need to get their fullback line sorted though, some very soft goals given away

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Heads right, Drumcullen should do well in the IHC. Conor Gath would be one of the more consistent freetakers on the go in club hurling. The tackling wouldn't be the most precise at that level leading to a high free-in rate. I wonder was it Dermot Gath (SKÓ under 21 midfielder) who did the scoring from midfield? Alan Maher is a speedy forward who could do damage if he was a little more direct. Birr intermediates have lost the likes of Tomás Bolger and Mark Quinlan to senior which may open the door for the 'Drums'. Still, August is a long way away.
backofthenet wrote:On the intermediate championship, I saw 4 games over the weekend, Killurin got a suprise win over birr, Kilcormac beat coolderry by 4, Carrig Riverstown just done enough to get past Shinrone and Drumcullen finally came good to get past a spirited Killavilla side. Its hard to see Drumcullen to be stopped. They made hard work of it on sunday, but they have Conor Gath who scored quite a bit in the second half, one of their midfielders got 4 - 5 very nice points and overall looked a step above killavilla, they badly need to get their fullback line sorted though, some very soft goals given away

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

SHC round 2 fixtures

I know Slieve Bloom man has posted these on the Master Fixtures list thread, but I'll copy them here to continue the discussion . . . All matches are on Sunday -

Shinrone v Shamrocks in Rath at 12 noon
Birr v Kinnitty in Banagher at 12 noon

Seir Kieran v Brosna Gaels in Tullamore at 2.00 pm
Belmont v Kilcormac/Killoughey in Tullamore at 3 30 pm

Lusmagh v Tullamore in Kinnitty at 5 30 pm
Coolderry v St Rynagh’s in Kinnitty at 7.00 pm

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

John Cashin got 4 or 5 point from play from midfield. Full back line made hard work of it, with three soft goals. The goals kept Killavilla in it until about 15 minutes left, when the breeze picked up and Killavilla lost their shape and disipline. Interestingly enough one of Killavilla's players (Brian Buckley I think) seemed to get two yellow cards and remained on.

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

Yeah John Cashin that it, he had a good game and took his points well, not sure the Killavilla midfield was up to scratch though to be honest! Drumcullen have one or two weaker areas where they will be tested more in the coming games.

On the two yellow cards, i think the referee was getting confused between the two wing backs, both same height and build and wearing the same helmet, im not 100% certain myself that he didnt give them a yellow each??!! Eitherway Drumcullen were the better team by at least 6 - 7 points.

Monday Manager
Junior C

Post by Monday Manager »

Offaly Express Team of the Round

1: Eoin Coughlan (Seir Kieran)

2: Stephen Egan (Tullamore)
3: James Rigney (Kinnitty)
4: Mark Quinlan (Birr)

5: David King (Coolderry)
6: Joe Brady (Coolderry)
7: Conor Hernon (St Rynagh's)

8: Derek Molloy (Shamrocks)
9: Joe Bergin(Seir Kieran)

10: Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty)
11: Rory Hanniffy (Birr)
12: Stephen Brown (Birr)

13: Shane Dooley (Tullamore)
14: Dylan Hayden (Birr)
15: Trevor Fletcher (Kilcormac/K)

http://www.offalyexpress.ie/offaly/Seni ... 6259315.jp

the weasel
Intermediate

Post by the weasel »

Monday Manager wrote:Offaly Express Team of the Round

1: Eoin Coughlan (Seir Kieran)

2: Stephen Egan (Tullamore)
3: James Rigney (Kinnitty)
4: Mark Quinlan (Birr)

5: David King (Coolderry)
6: Joe Brady (Coolderry)
7: Conor Hernon (St Rynagh's)

8: Derek Molloy (Shamrocks)
9: Joe Bergin(Seir Kieran)

10: Shane Kinsella (Kinnitty)
11: Rory Hanniffy (Birr)
12: Stephen Brown (Birr)

13: Shane Dooley (Tullamore)
14: Dylan Hayden (Birr)
15: Trevor Fletcher (Kilcormac/K)

http://www.offalyexpress.ie/offaly/Seni ... 6259315.jp
Does anybody know anything about k/k's new recruit Trevor Fletcher?
I heard he was k/k's stand-out player against birr.