Uibh Fhaili SFC odds 2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Uibh Fhaili SFC odds

Post by Lone Shark »

Frank Mcguigan wrote: I think Lone Sharks point that Brian Connor is one of very few men in offaly who can get up and field clean ball but I think it is a bit much to ask of a 20 year old to drag a senior club to senior success all on his own. It may be argued that he has talented players like his two brothers Ross and Rory along with Comerford and willie Mullhal around him but honestly how many of these would make the Rhode team.
Couple of points to this - it's not about Brian Connor carrying the Island as much as it is that he's a good fielder with a great engine, and while he's a long way from being a top intercounty midfielder yet - though I do think he has the tools to become one of the best if he continues to work hard - there simply is no-one in Offaly to mark him. In the group stages this year, he'll probably be marking Alan McNamee, Declan Kelly, Conor Connelly, Ciarán Mac and Richie Dalton. There are a lot of good players in there and as an overall player I'd certainly take McManus as the pick of the bunch (with Declan Kelly second incidentally!), but every one of those guys will struggle to deal with Connor as a primary ball winner.

Secondly, I've never been a fan of this logic of amalgamating two teams and whichever one has nine or more of the better individuals wins. Of course Rhode are a better team than Walsh Island and no-one would disagree with that, but the tone of the thread was would you pick Walsh Island or Tullamore - and in that I'd say all of those lads you named plus a few more besides would get into a blue jersey.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

I'm not going to add to the Brian Connor debate - just more weight on young shoulders.

However, I will say that, given the new Group structure, it would not surprise me in the slightest to see Walsh Island contesting a County Semi-Final this year. In fact, I think anything less will be considered a failure on their part - unless they draw one of the big guns in a County Quarter Final.

The much debated 6-team groups gives them time to find their feet in the Senior Championship. In previous years, if a team lost their first game, they were under massive pressure the second day out. Walsh Island will have time to settle in and then pick-up the (probably) 2 wins that will be needed to qualify for a Quarter Final. After that, they'd probably fancy their chances against most other Senior teams, with a couple of exceptions.

I accept some of the points made about Edenderry and Brigids, but perhaps the difference here is that Walsh Island could be entering the Senior ranks at the right time in terms of their maturity. It's well known that Edenderry put in a big push with most of the old brigade to bounce back into Senior, while Brigids seem to have many of the same faces that went down and came back-up. Walsh Island, on the other hand, seem to be improving year-on-year as key players reach the right age.

As unlikely as any of this may seem, keep in mind that Pollagh played in a semi-final last year and it was a shoot-out between themselves and Ferbane to get there. There's always at least one surprise package in a Semi-Final and slip-ups are always possible. Many players will tell you that Semi-Finals are generally horrible to play in as the prospect of being so close to a final looms. The best of teams have been caught-out in County Semi-Finals, including Rhode, Clara & Shamrocks in recent years.

Finally, would it be Tullamore or Walsh Island for me? My answer is this. If they were to meet now or in a group game, I'd fancy Walsh Island. If they were to meet in a County Semi-Final or beyond that, I'd probably bet my mortgage on Tullamore.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I predict Walsh Island will make the semis this year and get relegated to Intermediate next year.

Long John
All Star

Re: Uibh Fhaili SFC odds 2010

Post by Long John »

I see Pat Flanagan got the Westmeath job. Who is the Clara trainer now?

Shamrocks are currently manager less after they had to award a walk over to Ballycumber when they only had 10 or so players at the weekend. I cant confirm that but its what i heard in chatting to a Cloghan man. So id say there odds might be a bit unrealistic or are they just based on them being one of the strongest teams over the last number of years.

tacmot
Senior

Post by tacmot »

Sorry Lone shark i was away at thw festival of racing last week in Punchstown, hard to tink bout walsh island and tullamore footballers whn surrounded by fillies. My tinking on it wud be dat WI didnt impress me greatly in winning the inter champ last year nd failed badly the year before, and we all know dat its apoor standard of football in dat championship, Tullamore are a hard team to figure out, they can suprise u with a big performance when least expected and vice versa. I reckon WI will make it to the qf at least but if the came up against Tullamore in a do or die game it wud be a handy win for the blues. MY prices wud be more in d line of Tullamore 10's nd WI 18's.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

tacmot wrote:Sorry Lone shark i was away at thw festival of racing last week in Punchstown, hard to tink bout walsh island and tullamore footballers whn surrounded by fillies. My tinking on it wud be dat WI didnt impress me greatly in winning the inter champ last year nd failed badly the year before, and we all know dat its apoor standard of football in dat championship, Tullamore are a hard team to figure out, they can suprise u with a big performance when least expected and vice versa. I reckon WI will make it to the qf at least but if the came up against Tullamore in a do or die game it wud be a handy win for the blues. MY prices wud be more in d line of Tullamore 10's nd WI 18's.
At the risk of a touch of controversy, I'm personally of the opinion that Walsh Island weren't well served by their management before 2009 but once they fell into good hands, they improved immeasurably. I'm not sure how you say that they didn't impress you in 2009 though - they won every game that they had to win with a bit to spare, with the exception of the Leinster Club championship match against the Westmeath crowd who's name escapes me now. On that form, they'd be a very decent senior team in Offaly, while I think Tullamore are getting a lot of credit for their undoubted ability to pull off a result when it seems unlikely, but perhaps being too kindly viewed overall.

tacmot
Senior

Post by tacmot »

Well LS i tink ud have to agree dat last years inter champ was of a poor standard so WI wud hav been very much expecting themselves to win it after haven failing failed badly previous year, they have alot of young footballers reaching a mature age at the moment, Tullamore hav a better balance team if, and dats a big IF, they get the likes of keane , mcconway, o grady plus sum of their U21'S nd minors from last year to blend in then id defo tink dat they wud have a far better chance to win out dan WI.

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

Tubberclair are the Westmeath team if im not mistaken. I dont think Walsh Island will struggle this year but they wont win the championship. What two teams in each group are liable to fill 5th and 6th place?

Daingean Exile
Junior A

Post by Daingean Exile »

Good to see Walsh Island back in the reckoning. Is the handball alley still standing there?

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

I think Tullamore have alot more talent than WI to be fair. WI play well for eachother and will always be competitive but I still think Tullamore are always hard stopped when they see the finish line.

ballinamereman1
County player

Post by ballinamereman1 »

Long John wrote:I see Pat Flanagan got the Westmeath job. Who is the Clara trainer now?

Shamrocks are currently manager less after they had to award a walk over to Ballycumber when they only had 10 or so players at the weekend. I cant confirm that but its what i heard in chatting to a Cloghan man. So id say there odds might be a bit unrealistic or are they just based on them being one of the strongest teams over the last number of years.
Long John wrote:I think Tullamore have alot more talent than WI to be fair. WI play well for eachother and will always be competitive but I still think Tullamore are always hard stopped when they see the finish line.

john murray has been installed as manager.. this is great news for shamrocks as he will get the best out of their players just look at what he did with ballycumber in 07 when the just fell short to shamrocks in the semi.. tullamore went on to win it that year.. long john i dont know where your from but i take it your from the south so what would you know about the big ball..??. i dont mean that in a rude way now and i apologize if i have hurt peoples feelings..

i think this is the year for the bridemaids..

and im going to put my head on the line..

shamrocks for the football..
ballinamere for the intermeidate.. :D :D
coolderry or kk for the senior hurling.. i think kk have got a huge chance as in previous years the looked to currams for scores however this year their new recruitment seems to be a very good hurler and has an eye for the posts.. just what kk have been lacking in previous years...

lusmagh for the drop.. :!: :wink: :wink: :)

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

Did Shamrocks not beat Rhode in the semi final in 07??

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

Anyone got any odds on the intermediate football? Maybe Loan Shark can draw up a rough idea of the odds :D

Think all the football championships are wide open.
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

ballinamereman1
County player

Post by ballinamereman1 »

offalyman08 wrote:Did Shamrocks not beat Rhode in the semi final in 07??

yes they did.. sorry it was 2005 shamrocks bet ballycumber.. then im nearly sure rhode beat shamrocks by a late pascal kellaghan goal in the final.. in 07 shamrocks bet rhode and then tullamore bet shamrocks.. would i be right to say that there was a late goal in that final aswell and tullamore won 1.12 to 12..

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

theman wrote:Anyone got any odds on the intermediate football? Maybe Loan Shark can draw up a rough idea of the odds :D
I'm not working for any bookie these days, but if you asked me to price it, this would be what I'd be thinking of.

Shannonbridge 10/3
Doon 4/1
St Rynaghs 5/1
Raheen 6/1
Birr 6/1
Clonbullogue 10/1
Rhode 12/1
Durrow 16/1
Bracknagh 25/1
Clara 33/1
Ballyfore 50/1
Kilclonfert 66/1

Might seem like West Offaly bias there but I just think that the North Offaly clubs have a bit more to find realistically.