Offaly Hurling Panel For 2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
leinsterman
All Star

Offaly Hurling Panel For 2010

Post by leinsterman »

(Goalkeepers)
James Dempsey (kinnitty)
Eoin Kelly (lusmagh)
(Backs)
Stephen Egan(tullamore)
David Kenny (Belmont)
David Franks (Carrickshock)
paul Cleary (Birr)
Micheal Verney (Birr)
Kevin Brady (coolderry)
Derek Morkan (Shinrone)
Ger Oakley (Carrickriverstown)
Enna Murphy (Seir Kierans)
Stephen Wynne (St. rynaghs)
Duirmuid Horan (St.Rynaghs)
James Rigney(Kinnitty)
(MIDFIELD)
Connor Mahon (KK)
Dylan Hayden (Birr)
Shane Kelly (Tullamore)
James Keane (Tullamore)
Rory Hanniffy (Birr)
Brendan Murphy (Ballyskenach)
(Forwards)
Shane Dooley (Tullamore)
Brian Carroll (Coolderry)
Joe Brady (Coolderry)
Daniel Currams (kk)
Joe Bergin (Seir Kierans)
Derek Molloy (Shamrocks)
Cathal Parldon(Coolderry)
Oran Kealey (Kinnitty)
Ger Healion (KK)
F. Daly (Brosna Gaels)

Thats a good panel of players if we can get them fit and the best team out we could have a good year.
Hope the door is still open for players to come in theres a few players out there that should be on the panel.

old yellar
All Star

Re: Offaly Hurling Panel For 2010

Post by old yellar »

how many of the minor team of mixy kelly et al, that lost to galway in minor, now on senior panel? I havent seen all these lads hurl of late, but some i d have my doubts about..

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Fergal Daly

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Don't you know his first name? You should, he scored four points from play and set up a goal against your intermediate team.

Fergal is his first name by the way.
leinsterman wrote:F. Daly (Brosna Gaels)
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

It's a bit like the song "Waltzing Matilda", Yellar, that goes "year after year the numbers get fewer, soon there'll be no-one at all"

Only Hayden, Hanniffy, Carroll & Joe Brady left now. Hope i haven't forgotten anyone. Oh, and Ger Rafferty & Neville Coughlan are on the football squad.
old yellar wrote:how many of the minor team of mixy kelly et al, that lost to galway in minor, now on senior panel? I havent seen all these lads hurl of late, but some i d have my doubts about..

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Don't you know his first name? You should, he scored four points from play and set up a goal against your intermediate team.

Fergal is his first name by the way.
leinsterman wrote:F. Daly (Brosna Gaels)
I was Going to called him fergus, and no i didn't get to the intermediate final this year was to sick after we lost to tullamore
on the saturday evening. All well you can't win them all the two best teams won the both matches.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:It's a bit like the song "Waltzing Matilda", Yellar, that goes "year after year the numbers get fewer, soon there'll be no-one at all"

Only Hayden, Hanniffy, Carroll & Joe Brady left now. Hope i haven't forgotten anyone. Oh, and Ger Rafferty & Neville Coughlan are on the football squad.
old yellar wrote:how many of the minor team of mixy kelly et al, that lost to galway in minor, now on senior panel? I havent seen all these lads hurl of late, but some i d have my doubts about..
Dylan Hayden was not on the minor team of 2000 you must be thing of stephen brown :oops:

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

leinsterman wrote: Dylan Hayden was not on the minor team of 2000 you must be thing of stephen brown :oops:
Indeed he was.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2000/0814/gaa1.html

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

You're wrong . . . again. Check again. Who hurled 'top of the left' against Galway and scored two points off Brian Mahony?
leinsterman wrote:Dylan Hayden was not on the minor team of 2000 you must be thing of stephen brown :oops:

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:You're wrong . . . again. Check again. Who hurled 'top of the left' against Galway and scored two points off Brian Mahony?
leinsterman wrote:Dylan Hayden was not on the minor team of 2000 you must be thing of stephen brown :oops:
i give you that one, was hayden hurt for leinster final or did he come in for jason larkin who was left off that day.
old age catching up with me. jasus hayden must have been young that day 15 or 16 was he, he played centre back for the minors in 02 or 03
against kilkenny in leinster final it was the same year dj carey captain kk to win the allireland what ever year that was. :oops:

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

In 2000 I think Hayden had just turned 15 before the semi final vs. Galway and had joined the panel after during the championship.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Bord na Mona man wrote:In 2000 I think Hayden had just turned 15 before the semi final vs. Galway and had joined the panel after during the championship.
Fair enough so i remember him walking out in front of me in carlow after we beat kilkenny in the semil final that year. who lost his place so
for the galway match was it jason larkin if i remember right was their a bit trouble going into that match with galway.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Plain of the herbs

your knowledge of hurling is good i was wondering if you could help me out on something. we were talking the other night about the hogan cup
win in 1986 birr school do you know the team that played against the cork school that day. we know most of them from minor teams of 86&87
Was tony carroll the ref from kinnitty on the team or does anyone know the team cheer's

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Team taken from The Music of the Ash, which is a superb reference book. The Birr team in the final was:-

Barry Gleeson; Brian Hennessy, Damien Geoghegan, Declan Sherlock; Victor Dunne, Mick Hogan (0-1), Declan Pilkington; Padraig McGuinness, Brendan Dwyer; Joe Errity (2-0), Daithi Regan (1-1), David Harding; Gary Cahill (0-4), Billy Dooley (1-1), Johnny Pilkington (1-0).

No subs were listed as being used but Declan O’Meara is credited as scoring 0-1. Justin Ryan, Trevor Dunne & Aidan Mulrooney are separately listed as having hurled in earlier rounds. The book doesn’t have a photo of the panel so I can’t tell who the other panel members were.

02/03/1986 at Rathdowney, Birr 3-6 St. Peter’s Wexford 3-3
16/03/1986 (the day Pat Carroll passed away) at Rathdowney, Birr 5-6 St Kieran’s 0-6. Gary Cahill 2-3, Billy Dooley 1-1, Joe Errity 1-0, free, Declan O’Meara 1-0, Daithi Regan 0-2.
13/04/1986 at Tynagh, Birr 2-10 Garbally College 1-5.
27/04/1986 at Portlaoise, Birr 5-8 North Monastery 1-8.

Incidentally the team who lined out in the drawn final against North Mon the year before was:- Cathal Ryan; Brendan Dwyer, David Harding, Ger Connors; Ray Kelly, Mick Hogan, Damien Geoghegan; Niall Gath, Padraig McGuinness; Declan Cleere, Daithi Regan, Declan Pilkington; Gary Cahill, Paddy Hogan, Brian Guinan. Sub used Tony Middleton. Other subs from a panel photo are- D Bennett, Paul Hoare, Noel Molloy, Kieran Dooley, Pat Guinan, Martin Errity, Brian Hennessy & Tommy Ryan.

The only reference to Tony Carroll I can find is that he hurled midfield for the school in a Leinster Junior Colleges final in 1984, in a side which lost 6-6 to 2-1 to St. Kieran’s. The County Final programmes of 2007 and this year (which Tony refereed) credit him with a Colleges medal from 1986 so it seems he was a panellist, and being on the school's junior side in 1984 certainly wouldn't contradict that.

I wonder would Loughers know?
leinsterman wrote:Plain of the herbs

your knowledge of hurling is good i was wondering if you could help me out on something. we were talking the other night about the hogan cup
win in 1986 birr school do you know the team that played against the cork school that day. we know most of them from minor teams of 86&87
Was tony carroll the ref from kinnitty on the team or does anyone know the team cheer's

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Thanks for that plain of the herb's theres a few players there i forgot about alright. i think sid was on the panel as well that year
some great hurlers on that team thanks again for that .

Loughers
All Star

Post by Loughers »

Tony Carroll was a sub alright. I think Brian Gath was sub goalie.
Esto Fidelis