James Young

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
juteman
County player

James Young

Post by juteman »

Hi all. I took the advice from here and backed James Young to be top
scorer in hurling.He is top scorer at the present and looking good for success.I believe that only Farragher of Galway and Shefflin can catch him.Farragher is 16 points behind and Shefflin 25 points with max. 2 games left for one of them.

Even though I still may not win it really was an excellent punt and the above shows that.

Fingers crossed to make a few bob on a Leix man!!!
JUTEMAN

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Leix losing to Dublin in the relegation playoff was a real bonus - that's the reason he's sitting pretty really - the extra 11 points he got against Antrim made the world of difference.

That said, I'm not counting any chicken-like creatures yet. Farragher is tootling along at 11 points per game, albeit against moderate opposition. Even still, if he gets 2 games, I'd expect him to probably edge Young out by a couple. So go on the Cats!!

Regarding Henry (!! - obscure reference there which will mean nothing to the younger readers), I can't see him getting 25 in two games, but the danger will be if there is a replay anywhere. So all in all we want Kilkenny disposing of Galway on the first try, and any decisive result in the final, irrespective of who comes out on top. We'd be favourite, but I've seen them go wrong before..... :roll:

edenderry
Junior B

young

Post by edenderry »

surely this fella deserves to get an allstar. laois or no laois

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: young

Post by Bord na Mona man »

edenderry wrote:surely this fella deserves to get an allstar. laois or no laois
He didn't stand out from the rest when Leix played Wexford in the Leinster semi, which was his best chance to impress the judges.
Other performances will always be overlooked.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

A good hurler, accurate from frees - yes. An Allstar? No.

The reason to back him for top scorer was summed up in that Wexford game - he shot seven points while playing relatively anonymously. Put him in a panel where they already have a strong freetaker and reasonable depth and he wouldn't get a start. And of his 59 points, 38 came against either Dublin or Antrim.

edenderry
Junior B

young

Post by edenderry »

an ability to take frees is a skill in itself. Someone limerick could of done with last sunday. He stuck over 2 sideline cuts v dublin. I was present and his all round skill is as good as any barring the obvious top few players. name 3 other half forwards ahead of him in the all-star list presently. McCarthy, Walsh & no one else springs to mind. All that being said if he dosent get the good press he has no chance. Just because he wares the laois jersey shouldnt rule him out.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

edenderry wrote: Just because he wares the laois jersey shouldnt rule him out.
I'm not saying it does - I would just suggest that he's a good hurler, but not an allstar. Diggy and Fenlon both put over some fantastic sideline balls this year, and I don't think anyone would consider either of them All star contenders this year.

Regarding half forwards, as you say, Walsh and McCarthy will be favourites, but lads like Moran, Forde, Prendergast, Gorta, or even a dislodged Shefflin or Ken McGrath could be ahead of Young in line already - not counting the standard All Star or two given out every year for a good All Ireland final.