Compulsory Hurling Helmets

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bracknaghboy
All Star

Compulsory Hurling Helmets

Post by bracknaghboy »

Well lads, in just over 5 weeks time every player taking the pitch at all levels will be masked up. Keepers and all. Must say it'll be a bit strange seeing club goalies with the helmet but everyone will just have to get used to it. Personnaly I'm in favour of it. There will be outcry early on but this time next year there won't be a word about it. I hear Mycro are working on a special helmet for backs and keepers..........I'm interested on what design they have in mind for the guard here!!
Anyways whats your thoughts on it? Does it affect any of you? There was plenty of stuff written in the papers about players retiring because of the new rule but I can't see it happening.

Dynamite
Junior A

Re: Compulsory Hurling Helmets

Post by Dynamite »

Are we gonna soon see teams now make helmets part of the kit. Helmets matching Jerseys, with Crests on them?

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Don't Agreed With it Myself, Underage ok, But seniors should have the choice to wear them.

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

with hurling there is a mutual respect concerning contact with the head area and most injuries are purely accidental so would this compulsary helmet rule lead to more more careless use of the hurley, especially at the lower levels,

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

i think its a good idea to implement the use of them myself. most lads hurling now have worn them all the way up and its just a thing the got used to - saying that, i was at the leinster junior final at wknd, and 9 st finbars lads hadnt a helmet.. mad! it has to offer more protection than the peak caps the lads wore in the 40s anyhow! we all wear safety belts now generally and dont mind them. they are reducing the amount of facial injuries which has to be a plus so quit the grumbling. if dj can wear one, some old lad playing junior b can!

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

Actually, I quite like the idea of team coloured helmets.
Conversly, it would be cool to see players with personalised helmets, like motorsport drivers etc. Easy to spot on the field. :)

If it's a rule, then it's a rule. Get on with, it's not going to change.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

benbax
Junior C

Post by benbax »

what goalies will this affect most, I know the younger lads will b used to it from underage.... hard to see mullins or fox wearing a helmet next year...

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

benbax wrote:what goalies will this affect most, I know the younger lads will b used to it from underage.... hard to see mullins or fox wearing a helmet next year...
No cap no swim!!
red exile wrote:with hurling there is a mutual respect concerning contact with the head area and most injuries are purely accidental so would this compulsary helmet rule lead to more more careless use of the hurley, especially at the lower levels,
I'm not sure about the mutual respect exile? Just yesturday Phil Noonan (Newtownshandrum) 100% deliberately smashed his hurl into Andy Maloney's (Ballygunner) exposed head. One of the more cowardly acts I witnessed on a pitch. Of course he only got a yellow :x
If anything this helmet rule will eliminate the two or three blood subs and subsequent stoppages that come about through lads going off with head and facial wounds.
Also when introduced it won't "lead to more more careless use of the hurley"........it didn't at underage level so no reason to expect at adult.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It’s time helmets were made compulsory. Too many hurlers have suffered severe head and eye injuries, and while helmets and face-masks won’t eliminate such injuries, they will significantly reduce the likelihood of suffering such injuries.

The cry of the civil-liberties type of “I’m prepared to take the risk anyway” is just bullshit.

It’s a bit like smoking in aeroplanes – one day we’ll wonder how hurlers were allowed hurl without helmets.

One issue I have though is what the sanction will be for not wearing a helmet, and what happens if a hurler becomes detached from his helmet. Does the referee stop play and restart with a throw-in? And if an attacker is in on goal, can the defender remove his helmet thus stopping play and causing a throw in?

As for “what goalies will this affect most?” the answer is goalies facing into a setting sun and I do have a degree of sympathy for those. I see though where Mycro are working on developing a visor for the sun.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

bracknaghboy wrote:I'm not sure about the mutual respect exile? Just yesturday Phil Noonan (Newtownshandrum) 100% deliberately smashed his hurl into Andy Maloney's (Ballygunner) exposed head. One of the more cowardly acts I witnessed on a pitch. Of course he only got a yellow :x
If anything this helmet rule will eliminate the two or three blood subs and subsequent stoppages that come about through lads going off with head and facial wounds.
Also when introduced it won't "lead to more more careless use of the hurley"........it didn't at underage level so no reason to expect at adult.

Have to disagree with you there. If you looked at it more closely it could be seen that Noonan was trying to free his hurl from the grip of another Ballygunner player(Flynn I think) and when it did free up it just flew at Maloney who was just unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. A bit unfortunate and nothing malicious in it IMO. Newtown were plenty physical aside from that and will give Ballyhale a tough game, who from what I hear were less than impressive against the town. :(
"Ohhh mamma!"

Boyneman
Junior C

Post by Boyneman »

I have to say that having hurled in goals at adult level for over a quarter of a century it will probably be the decisive factor in finally getting sense and retiring

Fine if you have been brought up with it at underage level it is certainly easier to adapt and there is something "appealing" in all players wearing a helmet but to ask mise ,Fox ,Mullins ,Cummins ,PJ Ryan etc and I am really struggling to find an adult keeper that wears one to now wear something that is an alien as a kilt is pushing the boat out
I have to say in fairness to the authorities there is never a good time to introduce an edict such as this and maybe Mycro will produce something for the madder breed between the sticks that may be wearable but how those who do a bit of running cope with another element to increase the body heat is beyond me -I think I saw one of the O'Connors take off their helmet yesterday during the game and that was November and they move at such speed they should be self cooling ,what about a sticky hot day (if we ever see it) say in Lusmagh with Coolderry & Birr tearing into one another
As an aside I saw a young referee make U 8 soccer players take off their Man U ,Lpool etc hats yesterday (gloves were ok) and they were only trying to stay warm _Next thing we will have the Bull Hayes ,Marconnet and The hairy Jones from Wales wearing scrum caps and getting rid of the Cauliflower ear forever

Another thought just struck me - How many of the "non" star players who wear helmets are recognisable to the ordinary four by four or kids and compare this with the enigma Mullane
Let the debate continue and see how refs deal with slowing down play by "helmet" incidents and how long will it take to perfect the helmet dragdown similar to the the pinning of the arm in football which refs are continuously fooled by _ I know what county will be most proficient with their helmet tactics as they are currently with clearing all space in their vicinity
"Better to break the handle than let the spade rust"