Vinny Claffey Interview on edenderrygaa.com

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
offalyman08
All Star

Re: Vinny Claffey Interview on edenderrygaa.com

Post by offalyman08 »

its unlikely to happen anyway. too many bitter people in small rural area's because their ancestors set up the clubs bla bla bla etc etc.
and if you dont like them in bracknagh then dont read them. If it wasnt for FORMER PLAYERS we wouldnt have had success.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lone Shark wrote: There was an open letter in the Tribune this week from some guy in Capincur as well - I can't remember the name. I also think there's a bit of the classic bit of committee thinking going on here too, and people are starting to give the idea more air.

(1) Something must be done!
(2) This is something!
(3) We must do this!
When there was talk of a Daingean parish team entering senior championship late last year I think Cappincur were the driving force behind that attepmt (open to correction on this).
offalyman08 wrote:its unlikely to happen anyway. too many bitter people in small rural area's because their ancestors set up the clubs bla bla bla etc etc.
and if you dont like them in bracknagh then dont read them. If it wasnt for FORMER PLAYERS we wouldnt have had success.
Having a love for ones own club (beit a rural or urban club) doesn't mean a person is "bitter".
I didn't have a go at "former players" I simply pointed out the people being asked the parish rule question in the interviews happen to be former players. What would a poll of all current club players in the county reveal in relation to parish rule? Of course we couldn't have a poll because there is no proposal in the first place!!

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

bracknaghboy wrote:
Is there? If just seems to be a journalist from Edenderry asking the question during a series of interviews (which by now are getting a bit repetitive and boring) with former players.
Now that's outrageous. These interviews are superb and I for one look forward to them continuing

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

But do you no think its best to hear from former players? (on all issue's not parish rule) because current playes cant really say what they want to because of that very reason, their CURRENTLY playing! if they lash someone they may pay the consequences. Just imagine Karol Slatterty coming out and saying "were a disgrace"... It would cause more trouble than former players saying it.
In regards to that "parish rule" question, it is not the only quesion that is asked to every person interviewed so i dont think it is necessarily his point of view, i think its just a question!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I would certainly agree with Turk in that I think the interviews are great reading and I hope they continue, and certainly I would think that the views of former players are worth taking on board, if only as a barometer for the general feeling.

However asking a former player about structures is all very well, because these guys can give a soundbite answer and they don't have to fill in the details. Equally, LIKE ALL PEOPLE, they come from a particular viewpoint, which may not necessarily be the greater good. Even if it were a stonewall guarantee that parish teams would lead to an improvement in the standard of the SFC, which is a contentious viewpoint at best, that doesn't necessarily follow that it's for the greater good of Offaly GAA, at club or county level, in the longer term. That's why we need to have committees, and discussions, and DETAILED proposals. Not some airy fairy notion that (1) the four clubs in Daingean parish at the moment are relatively weak (2) each club has some good players (3) thus an amalgamated club would be better (4) thus the Offaly SFC would be better.

Until people come up with real proposals about how it would work, it's only airy fairy stuff.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I saw that letter and the writer writes of all these young footballers in the parish who have so much to offer Offaly football if only they got a run at senior football.

While I’ve no knowledge of the ins and outs of the situation in Daingean Parish, I do have one question.

That is – how many Daingean Parish players have been on the Offaly minor teams in the last five years, 2005 to 2009?
Lone Shark wrote: There was an open letter in the Tribune this week from some guy in Cappincur as well - I can't remember the name. I also think there's a bit of the classic bit of committee thinking going on here too, and people are starting to give the idea more air.

(1) Something must be done!
(2) This is something!
(3) We must do this!
I would also like to point out that I enjoy the Edenderry interviews and look forward to the next one.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

turk wrote:
bracknaghboy wrote:
Is there? If just seems to be a journalist from Edenderry asking the question during a series of interviews (which by now are getting a bit repetitive and boring) with former players.
Now that's outrageous. These interviews are superb and I for one look forward to them continuing
I didn't say they shouldn't continue. Personnally I think some of them have been good (In fact in the latest one Vinny Claffey speaks very highly of our Frank!! :) ) and its a novel idea, however for me (and this is just my opinion) its in danger of getting a bit stale. Perhaps interviewing some hurlers, a camogie player or a top club player could refreshen it.

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

just wondering, how many parishes there are in offaly and would it be worth running a parish tournament either pre championship or during the off season,i see a lot of clubs entering tournaments when the season finishes,

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

In football (because this seems to be a uniquely football problem, anyway, most of the hurling clubs are parish clubs anyway) and going from west to east, there's:-

Shannonbridge, Ferbane, Banagher/Cloghan, Lemonaghan, Clara, Tubber (they’re a separate parish, yea?), Rahan, Tullamore, Daingean, Killeigh, Edenderry, Rhode, Bracknagh & North Portarlington.

That’s 14. Hope I haven’t left anyone out. Actually, weren’t there 13 entries in the U21 football championship this year? Tubber might have been in with someone else.
red exile wrote:just wondering, how many parishes there are in offaly and would it be worth running a parish tournament either pre championship or during the off season,i see a lot of clubs entering tournaments when the season finishes,
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

vinny claffey spoke well about our frank, is that the same frank who wouldn't turn up for matches
and didn't want to play for offaly, jasus vinny must have been stuck for something to talk about so