The Faithful are back!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

The Faithful are back!

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Well done to the minor footballers on a great win over Cork.
A great display of resiliance and composure under pressure. Qualities that will be much welcomed at senior level in years to come.

In the closing minutes you could sense that Offaly were not going to lose the narrow lead. The inevitable last minute score, that beat several Offaly teams this year, was never going to happen here.
Fully deserved winners.

The season has managed to recover itself.
A few weeks ago the county looked as low as it had ever been in the last 45 years in GAA terms.
Our hurlers then managed to restore some pride with much improved performances and now we'll be in Croke Park on all Ireland semi-final day!

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

Well done indeed to the minors. That's three tight finishes they've negotiated.

Great composure under pressure but I don't know about the inevitability of it. I felt confident also but it nearly went horribly wrong. From where I was standing on the terraces it looked as that last-minute shot had beaten the goalie and was heading for the top corner. Blessings on that player who got across the goals and got his hands up to deflect it away.

The best thing about the display is that it wasn't perfect but we muddled through. We started with some horrible wides then missed a penalty. Right through the game things were going against the team. Then later on in the second half when we were on top we missed chances to ice the game including a clear goal chance. Adversity like that would have discouraged a lot of teams but they kept plugging away and got their reward in the end.

Some great combined movement also! The move leading to the penalty was the best end-to-end sequence of passing I can remember from any Offaly football team. The move that led to the goal was also top-notch!

All the four provincial champions lost so the semi-finals are made up of the four beaten provincial finalists. What are the odds!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Bogman wrote:From where I was standing on the terraces it looked as that last-minute shot had beaten the goalie and was heading for the top corner.
Looked fairly well covered from I where I was watching it from.
:lol:

duboffaly
Junior A

Post by duboffaly »

any player ratings from anybody at the match?