Offaly SHC County Final 18/10/09 @ 15:30

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Final thoughts . . .

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

All county finals are unique but Sunday’s is even more unique. Kilcormac/Killoughey v Tullamore. Who’d have thought it at the start of the year? Heck, who’d have thought it a fortnight ago?

Let’s get the history out of the way first. It’s the first final without Birr since 1998, the first without either Birr or St. Rynagh’s since 1989 and the first without Birr, St. Rynagh’s or Clareen since Coolderry beat Kinnitty in 1980!

It’s also probably only the third time in history that not one of the thirty hurlers taking the field for the final will hold a county senior hurling medal between them. The first final in 1896, and 1908 (when Drumcullen contested, and won, their first final against Ballinamere) being the others! This year is also the centenary of Tullamore’s first title, won in 1909. It’s also the golden jubilee of their eighth title won in 1959. In addition, t’was Kiloughey who dethroned Tullamore in 1965 and they haven’t reached a final since – until now! Best though not to get bogged down in all that – as Charlie McCreevy once said the great thing about horses is they don’t care for coincidences. Anyway the centenary of Killoughey’s last title in 1907 did nothing for K/K’s title attempt two years ago.

More relevant though is the last championship meeting of the two, in the quarter final at Banagher last year. K/K hit top form that day and won by ten points with Brian Leonard scoring eight from play. Daniel Currams scored a fine goal as K/K led by eight at half time. Shane Dooley scored a goal to give Tullamore some hope as K/K had one or their ‘lean’ spells as is their wont, but they pulled away again to win emphatically. Oh, and Shaun Martin hurled in goals for Tullamore that day (Stephen Egan took the puckouts in the second half) while Damien Kilmartin did likewise for K/K.

Whither K/K?

Kilcormac have progressed nicely since the championship resumed after the summer break, away from the main scene for much of it. Two years ago they reached the final with about five who were just a year out of minor. Three more have now graduated to senior, and that octet also contributed to the under 21 title win back in June. Johnny Pilkington also managed that under 21 side as K/K battled to find the most suitable blend of contrasting hurling styles – the possession game they thrived with under John Leahy and the quick ground hurling preferred by Pilkington.

They have now found the perfect blend. With such a physically big side (for such a young side) it makes sense that they should make that aerial dominance count, and they did in the replay against Clareen and even more so a fortnight ago against Coolderry. They don’t do the soloing, trying to draw a defender, but gain possession moving the ball and trusting the receiver to win the ball in the air. It’s probably more akin to the Kilkenny model and their positioning around the field is an interesting development too. I’d say Pilkington himself has learned much about modern hurling and improved as a coach during the last two months also.

K/K strengths?
K/K’s full back line are all under 21. They are somewhat interchangeable too, as Christopher Guinan moved onto Cathal Parlon after Damien Kilmartin experienced some difficulties with Cathal Parlon. They also have the alternative of introducing John Grogan too, a move they weren’t slow in doing in the semi-final. Alan McConville, a tidy hurler was sacrificed, surprisingly so. Peter Healion has come good at centre back in recent weeks and Colm Cassidy’s restoration to the side, and to the defence, seems to be the final piece in the defensive jigsaw. Killian Leonard has improved in recent weeks too.

Midfield is their trump card. Conor Mahon and Eamonn Lee have been utterly dominant in the sector in recent weeks. Their positioning on the field too has been key where they drop deep under the opposition puckout to cut out room on the opposition attack, and also create more room for their own attack.

Their forwards can all take a score, yet bring a huge work ethic with them too. The half forward line also drops deep to help out the defence when the opposition are on the attack. They went ‘route 1’ against Coolderry, dropping the ball into Ger Healion who caused the havoc which yielded the match-winning scores. In the replay against Clareen it was James Gorman who was on fire. Brian Leonard’s presence also offers another scoring outlet, while Daniel Currams got forward to score the goals against Coolderry yet dropped much deeper against Clareen.

They have considerable options on the bench also. Kevin Grogan is an option for defence and also in attack. Paul Cummins has featured recently while Dan Kilmartin can also take a score.

K/K weaknesses?

If there is a weakness it’s that they can blow hot and cold and have ‘gone out of’ matches lately. Examples being that phase against Clareen when they conceded three goals in a short spell, and the last quarter of normal time in the replay against Clareen, when the Clareenmen scored two goals to snatch another draw. Also, how Coolderry managed to score 3-15 against them while starved of possession will occupy their minds in the lead-up to Sunday’s final.

Whither Tullamore?

While Kilcormac have been knocking on the championship door in recent years the same cannot possibly be said of Tullamore. They burst on the scene in the first round last year when they shocked Birr. That was barely six weeks after Birr’s club final defeat by Portumna and Tullamore stuck with Birr all the way and two late goals clinched it. That saw them top the group but they were unlucky in the subsequent draw and were forced into a quarter final where K/K had a resounding win.

Their early form was not good this year and as the year went on they were hampered by injury and defections. Defender Mark Conlon showed good form last year, most notably in that win over Birr but has missed out in recent weeks due to injury. Kevin Martin also missed a chunk of the year due to injury but returned off the bench against St. Rynagh’s to devastating effect.

Tullamore strengths?

It all came together against Birr. That win was built on their defence where the full back line of Alan Martin, Cillian Bane and Stephen Egan were magnificent. Egan hurled Sean Ryan from in front and never allowed the Birr forward gain possession. Bane saw off three markers and Martin recovered after a shaky start to grow in stature as the match entered the melting pot.

The half back line hurled well throughout the year. Nigel Mannion and Brendan Dagg are two similar type hurlers who read the game so well and, despite not being the tallest, have not been dominated in the air. Hugh Treacy did well in the absence of his brother Ger and of Mark Conlon from the defence and has made the number 7 shirt his own in recent weeks.

Shane Kelly is the one hurler who has been outstanding all year for them, even when things were not going well for the side. He leads by example, driving the ball direct to the danger area, and has clocked up many scores from distance during the year. James Keane has benefitted from being able to concentrate on hurling since the club’s footballers have been eliminated, and had a storming match against Birr.

Shane Dooley has been the mainstay of the attack. Now hurling at centre-forward since Kevin Martin resumed at square’s edge, he has thrived in the extra room, and will roam to both sides of the pitch. Francis Kerrigan is always good for three points and terrorising defences, and Kevin Martin will horse around the square. With Keane and Kelly going well at midfield the inside forwards shouldn’t want for possession either. Ger Treacy is a good hurler who, despite having done most of his hurling in defence also offers another dimension to the attack. The attack can also score from distance or from the sideline if required.

Tullamore weaknesses?

If there’s a weakness to be exploited it’s the half back line under the dropping ball. Most clubs Tullamore have opposed might have one target for a long ball, or maybe two. K/K have several. Brian Leonard is excelling in this area while Daniel Currams and James Gorman are also adept under the puckout. Also, there’s little on their bench to unduly worry K/K, or to change the course of a match. Brian Hogan is a handy attacker who appears to have fallen down the pecking order somewhat. And while Damien Fox’s is a lovely story, the fact remains he is still vulnerable around the square.

Where can it be won . . . and lost?

Given the personalities involved and how the area is central to the plans of both sides, midfield will be crucial on Sunday. Both midfields will drop back to protect their half backs. Damien Fox’s puckouts rarely cross the second ‘70’ though funnily enough this may be to Tullamore’s benefit, as it may draw Mahon and Lee towards the middle and away from Shane Dooley. Tullamore simply can’t allow Dooley to be ‘boxed in’.

K/K will certainly try to crowd Dooley and he may well find himself opposed by Healion behind and Mahon in front. Dooley’s distribution will be tested, though if either Kelly or Keane can support Dooley Tullamore might have a way out of trouble. Keane and Kelly will still need marking, and may well draw the K/K half forward line out to carry this out.

Dooley will face a tough encounter with Peter Healion, who fended off Joseph Bergin over two-and-a-half hours of hurling. Healion will mark tightly and wherever Dooley goes, Healion will follow. Paul Cleary tended to hold the centre in the semi-final while Dooley covered much ground and Tullamore clocked up the scores. How would Tullamore cope in the event Dooley’s influence is curbed?

Daniel Currams is the key to the K/K attack and if he strikes form, scores a few points and maybe a goal, K/K will be well on the way to making history. Brian Leonard will be a severe test for Nigel Mannion in the air. Cillian Bane will have his toughest test yet in the face of the bustling Ger Healion, who made much hay against Coolderry. K/K, too, might be better served with James Gorman at top-of-the-right where he turned onto his left, coming infield, to shoot for scores against Clareen. For some reason he lined out in the opposite corner against Coolderry, perhaps to facilitate Ciaran Slevin. Perhaps Gorman might provide a stiffer test for Stephen Egan, taking on the strongest link, so to speak.

K/K have many options in the last line of defence. Will they opt to start Damien Kilmartin at full back on Kevin Martin? Will they risk Alan McConville being overpowered by Francis Kerrigan? Where will Christopher Guinan start? Will they make a change and start John Grogan? They have many options here and a few decisions to make before Sunday.

The sidelines?

Johnny Pilkington was a surprise choice to manage K/K. Previously he had made some progress with Mullagh though his tenure with the Offaly minors was disappointing. Still, he would have learned much of his hurling from Pat Joe Whelahan, a good grounding, and is really the first of Pat Joe’s disciples to enter club management with another club in the county. Kevin Martin too needs no introduction, and survived some internal club strife in recent weeks. He’s lining out at full forward though and being a bit away from the ‘engine room’ isn’t ideal.

What would a title win mean?

This is a big chance for this particular K/K team to break new ground and to win a county title. They may well go on to win a number of county titles but the hardest title of all to win is the first one. Birr have ended their championship interest in each of the last three years and with Birr now gone off the scene, the pressure is huge to get off the mark. Birr may well be back next year and if K/K don’t get off the mark this time the old doubts will surface during the title race next year.

Tullamore are in a different boat. They are fresh and are under no real pressure, at least not the pressure K/K are under. They are riding the crest of a wave, what happens when a few breaks go their way as has happened in recent weeks. There’s something akin to Lusmagh’s 1989 title win when a few breaks went their way and they got on a roll. Half the team have played in, and won, senior football titles so they are by no means venturing into the unknown here.

Given the history with both teams out to end long famines, grown men will cry around 4.50pm on Sunday . . . sober ones at that! That will tell us all we need to know about what the pride in the native place, and the GAA means to us all. Despite it’s many failings we are lucky to have the GAA.

Who’ll win it?

K/K will look to dictate the game from the start, build a lead and hold onto it. That may well happen and they may well win by between six and eight points. K/K might also take an early lead, then take the foot off the gas and let Tullamore back into it. Tullamore are spirited, the kind of spirit that chases lost causes, that goes full stretch to effect a last-ditch block or hook, and that ground out that win over Birr when it looked like Birr were going to kick for home.

K/K don’t convince and it will be difficult for them to hurl at full belt for the full sixty minutes in a final. Tullamore’s ‘in-your-face’ style won’t suit them either. If Tullamore can stay with K/K that spirit may well see them finish the stronger, as they did against Birr and St. Rynagh’s.

Tullamore by one point for me, something like 1-13 to 1-12!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Treasurer
All Star

Re: Offaly SHC County Final 18/10/09 @ 15:30

Post by Treasurer »

I think KK have the edge and will be that bit too strong physically. Good luck to them both, great to see them there.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

The rumour mill going into overdrive up our way with the latest being both Conor Mahon and Eamon Lee wont start the final due to injury. That would give Tullamore a huge lift.

arbarg
County player

Allez Les Bleus

Post by arbarg »

Heres to a good final tomorrow and please God a win for the Blues!!!!!

Best of Luck to all D Lads!

Allez Les Bleus!

uibhfhailiabu
County player

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

Great preview as always POTH. Although as a K/K man, I do hope your prediction is wrong!!!

I think it will be a close game but I think K/K can come out on top, I'll go for K/K by 3!!
Keep The Faith

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

uibhfhailiabu wrote:Great preview as always POTH. Although as a K/K man, I do hope your prediction is wrong!!!

I think it will be a close game but I think K/K can come out on top, I'll go for K/K by 3!!
Funnily enough, even though K/K would be deserved favourites as far as I'm concerned, I couldn't have them in a close finish. It's either Tullamore by 2 or K/K by 7 for me - probably the latter, but I won't be betting on it.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

Agree with you LS. For me it's K/K by 10 points or Tullamore winning a close match by 1 or 2 points.

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Re: Allez Les Bleus

Post by Kemo Sabe »

i coudnt careless if it was a shocking final as long as the cup is in tullamore hands at the end of it .come on the town
great history hoping for a better future

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

With the big 3 of Rynaghs, Coolderry and Birr not in the final I think most neutrals don't mind who wins tomorrow, we are all just looking forward to a cracking game although it would be nice to see the blues come out on top

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I wasn't lucky enough to make it to this match, so I'd like to say that Midlands Radio 3's coverage of this match has been nothing short of disgusting

BUFFALO
County player

Post by BUFFALO »

2-12 to 0-11.

Allez Allez Allez!

Gwan the Town!

I must say that I am very proud at this moment in time.
Tullamore were thoroughly deserving victors on the day,and to be fair over the meaningful stages of the county championship.
A number of aspects from todays game are worthy of mention.
Firstly,is the story of The Gift.A man waiting for 45 years to get the chance to play in a final was surely not found wanting today.
A fine save from a K/K 21yard free at the end of the first half,followed by a miraculous save early in the 2nd when a high ball into the sqaure was doubled on and heading straight for the far corner,but Mr. Fox denied that effort and deflected it out for a '70.Also,at the final whistle and the ensuing rush onto the pitch,I noticed The Gift being thronged by masses of supporters who then hoisted their hero upon their shoulders.Truly the most memorable moment in his career.
Secondly,corner back and man of the match Stephen 'Eggy' Egan had a stormer.For a man of his stature he stood up to the physicality of the K/K men and used untold amounts of shrewd and intelligent play to hurl himself out of manys a tricky situation.First to every ball,solid under the dropping ball,tenacious in the tackle,today he showed himself to be a worthy champion.
Thirdly,Kevin Martin.A lack of a verfifiable nickname has me stumped,but hereafter I shall refer to him as The Maestro.Not only has the man instilled a huge sense of self belief in this team along with working on their fitness(which was remarkable today and in previous games also),he hurled like a man possessed where and whenever he was needed to.A good man 'to bust up the play' he may be,but what he definitely proved today was that he hasn't lost his touch and that wherewithal required when battling against quicker opponents.I think he scored 1-1 overall,but it was his ability to field and then distribute clever ball in the inside forward line which was most striking.
Fourthly,I could keep going through every feature of this marvellous occasion,but a combination of fatigue induced by porter makes it unlikely as of now.In any case the whole team effort and spirit never waned.According to some neutral observers,todays game was one of the best county finals in recent years.Perhaps the overall finesse isn't there,but byjaysis there was very nice hurling on display.
What lies ahead in Leinster is as of yet unknown,but on the basis of their previous 3 performances,Tullamore will be a tricky proposition for anybody.
I heard that they automatically progress to the semi-final,but am unsure of this assertion.Can anybody confirm it?

An Tulach Mhor abu!

BUFFALO
County player

Post by BUFFALO »

Allez Allez Allez!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Tullamore 2-12 K/K 0-11

A cracking final of real quality, probably the best final since the classic 1993 final.

Tullamore took the game to Kilcormac right from the start. The entire defence were magnificent, Egan, Dagg, Mannion & Hugh Treacy especially. Keane & Kelly lorded midfield. Up front, the unsung Jody Duffy & Edwin Finnerty stood up best, as did Ger Treacy. Kevin Martin did the damage around the edge of the square and K/K had no answer here. Kerrigan pointed a mighty line ball from 45m too. Shane Dooley had a quiet first half at corner forward but had a mighty last quarter when he moved outfield.

I’ve been critical of Damien Fox but I’m delighted to say that today was his day. Two magnificent saves, one in each half, dominated his square and a fantastic puckout throughout. Hopefully he gets to face Henry Shefflin and Ballyhale in a Leinster Club final (and I mean that in a good way).

Behind by 4 at half time, it looked like K/K would reel them in after they got a few scores after the break but a scrambled goal sealed it and K/K were a beaten docket long before the finish and seven points was a fair reflection of the gulf between the two sides.

A massive crowd, probably the biggest ever, and O’Connor Park rocked.

My congratulations to all in Tullamore, hope ye enjoy the celebrations !!

Scorers: Tullamore: Shane Dooley 0-7, 2f, Edwin Finnerty & Kevin Martin 1-1 each, Francis Kerrigan (lineball), Jody Duffy & Shane Kelly 0-1 each.
K/K: Brian Leonard 0-4, 2 ‘65’s, Mark Leonard 0-3, Ciaran Slevin 0-2f, James Gorman & Daniel Currams 0-1 each.
Last edited by Plain of the Herbs on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Yep, ye hurl the winners of Clonkill and Ballacolla in the semi-final in 4 weeks time. The Kilkenny, Wexford and Dublin champions are all on the other half of the draw. See the thread on the Leinster Club championship.
BUFFALO wrote:What lies ahead in Leinster is as of yet unknown,but on the basis of their previous 3 performances,Tullamore will be a tricky proposition for anybody.
I heard that they automatically progress to the semi-final,but am unsure of this assertion.Can anybody confirm it?

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:A cracking final of real quality, probably the best final since the classic 1993 final.
I have to disagree.

For quality I actually thought it was a very poor final, especially the first half. K/K were very disappointing throughout and their low final tally reflects that. That allied to the winning margin and the fact that Tullamore's two goals were hardly things of beauty leaves me wondering as to how this could be described as a 'quality' final. At no stage did Kilcormac stage a fight back after Tullamore's second goal so even for drama or excitement the game fell completely short. The crowd never 'got in' to it, all in all a distinctly average game of hurling.

Let that not take away from Tullamore's win though, by God they deserved it and hurled K/K off the field, matching their performance from the Birr game. K/K for their part were terrible and nobody from midfield up stood out. At no stage did they hurl with any intensity and perhaps took Tullamore for granted. Perhaps most worryingly for them was that after Tullamore's second goal they never mounted any semblance of a fight back, despite having plenty of time. They will be bitterly disappointed, this was quite a chance to finally win a senior title. Such a good chance may never come again.

What does anybody know about Stephen Egan, age, past hurling, does he play football? He has been exceptional the past two games and will surely get an Offaly call up.