Next years Senior Football County Captain

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Barracuda
All Star

Next years Senior Football County Captain

Post by Barracuda »

Well - who do you think it should be??

I's stick with Barry M for another year.
Or consider giving Evans the nod.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Karol Slattery or Scott Brady.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Slattery certainly.

Bogman
All Star

Captaincy

Post by Bogman »

Slattery was Vice (or Deputy or whatever you would call it) Captain this year. He deputised for Barry Mooney in the Championship,

duboffaly
Junior A

Post by duboffaly »

I dont know how slattery would come into contention. He is far too quite and not very inspriational. He can do a good job himself but is not very inspirational. Evans can be too hot or cold - not consistant enough. I would say Mooney or Brady.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

Will it not be the choice of the county champions? Either to nominate one of their own club or another player if they have no players on the team? Maybe this is finshed with now.

Trib
Junior B

Post by Trib »

Karl Slattery has by far been Offaly's most consistant player thisyear so why not give him a chance? Either wayglad to see nobody has suggested CM

duboffaly
Junior A

Post by duboffaly »

CM... are you joking? dead right nobody has suggested him. Imagine him as captain? Man that would tip him over the edge. He would be thinking he should be player manager and captain then.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

It's been a long time since Offaly has operated that system in football. In hurling it still exists I think, but I'm not sure. To be honest it's a very archaic system at the best of times though. Even though Coolderry were deserved county champions last year, none of their players are really cptaincy material - so we got Barry Teehan as captain, who lost his place and only won it back in a new role toward the end. For a team short on leaders, it doesn't really make any sense. Someone like Brendan Murphy or Rory Hanniffy would probably have been a better candidate, in a quiet sort of way.

It's a bit harsh to pick on Mac like this. He does float on the edge a little bit, and his will to win tends to lead him to bad psychological places by times, but ultimately his performance in Carlow was a model of self discipline - if you could be confident that would be replicated then there'd be a case for him as captain. He mightn't be the best man in a crisis though - you can always bank on him to put his heart and soul into it, whether he always makes the right choices or not is another issue.

Personally I'd stick with Slattery though. He had a couple of quiet games this year, but he has probably been our most consistent performer for the last four or five years.