Offaly Senior Hurling Championship 2009 Quarter Finals

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Offaly Senior Hurling Championship 2009 Quarter Finals

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

A few interesting games in this, especially K/K v Seir Kieran.

However, why has this game been fixed for O'Connor Park? It can by no means be described as equidistant from both clubs with K/K being much closer and Tullamore's distance from the hurling 'stronghold' of Offaly will greatly reduce the number of interested neutrals in attendance. Thus the revenue that the County Board will take from the gates will also be diminished.

This game has the potential to be a cracker and in a tighter venue with more neutrals this could have generated a fantastic atmosphere. Instead a few hundred dedicated souls will be lost in the size of O'Connor Park with all the atmosphere of a graveyard. I hope that nobody in the County Board is foolish enough to believe for one second that having this game in O'Connor Park somehow makes the fixture more 'attractive'. It's excessive size and distance from South Offaly far outweigh the nice colours of the seats in the stand.

I understand the County Borad's desire to hold as many game as possible in O'Connor Park given the expense of it's construction, however this is not the game to do so. It is unfortunate enough that the semi-finals of recent years have had to be held in Tullamore but now quarter-finals as well? If Birr is out of action (this really needs to be sorted out), then why could this game not be held in Kinnitty, Banagher or Rath? All would be far more suitable venues.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Offaly Senior Hurling Championship 2009 Quarter Finals

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd imagine the decision to put the game on alongside an intermediate football quarter final is going to really upset hurling purists so.

It is highly possible that after all the rain, the logic for putting the game in Tullamore is simply that it is the best pitch equipped to take the rain, and unfortunately that's a huge criterion right now. Nonetheless if Rath was likely to be ready, it would be the more obvious choice - though Rath is getting a lot less games this year and I'd say there's probably "raisins for everything and currants for buns" as my grandmother is prone to saying.

I certainly wouldn't count Banagher any better of a neutral venue in terms of distance.

In terms of the games, I won't be able to make the Clareen/KK match due to our Junior C game, but it looks like a humdinger. Clareen are flying right now and on form you'd have to go with them, but it could be tidy. Coolderry shouldn't have too much difficulty in the other one I suspect.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Fixing the Clareen v K/K match for Tullamore makes little sense really, and the policy of playing 5 matches at headquarters every weekend will be proven ill-advised by the time that senior hurling final day comes around and the final is played on a worn out pitch. With so many various finals coming up between now and then hopefully common sense will prevail and spectators will stay off the pitch for trophy presentations, but I won’t be holding my breath.

I don’t have a problem with the senior hurling semi finals being played in OCP, as it gives clubs the chance to acquaint themselves with the stadium, but having Shamrocks, Tullamore and Kilcormac playing clubs from the south of the county at OCP is going beyond the beyond – unless those south Offaly clubs really want to hurl there.

Anyway, as regards this weekends action:-

COOLDERRY v SHINRONE
Last meeting: Coolderry 5-15 Shinrone 3-9, round 1, 2005
Last 5 meetings: Coolderry 4, Shinrone 1 (2000).

Shinrone have impressed me to a reasonable degree lately. They’re all good hurlers who can hurl the ball away in tight quarters and have no cackhanders in the side. With the talent they have they should be doing better. They’ve never ever taken a scalp though (to my memory), so whether it’s a lack of belief or whatever, I don’t know. They usually compete at ‘A’ grade at underage so shouldn’t be overawed facing the big clubs at adult level.

Facing Coolderry represents a big step up in class for them though. Niall Cleary has had a good season at wing back, but marking Brian Carroll represents the lad’s biggest test yet. Ditto Cathal Parlon who, if he hits a good day could clock up five or six points. Or none on a quiet day. Elsewhere in the Shinrone rearguard, Mark Morkan has been hurling well at centre half back, and could do well on Joe Brady, while you’d expect Willie Comerford to come out on top against Paddy Teehan. Colin O’Meara should have the legs to mark Michael Ryan.

Shinrone’s forwards have been blowing hot and cold, but Mark Morkan’s return the last day enabled them restore Derek Morkan to the attack. Much of their attacking play was directed through Morkan, who then played the ball crossfield to Michael Cordial. Derek at wing forward is a good target for the puckout, is a good distributor, and should do well on Kevin Teehan. Shinrone need him to be involved in everything though, and he may be better suited to midfield, if even to occupy either Barry Teehan or Mark Bergin. Were Daniel Hoctor available in defence, Shinrone might be better able to afford to play Derek in the attack.

Eddie Bevans’ return to the side, and to form in recent weeks, has served to remind us what a loss he was during the period he was sidelined. He likes to roam from the full forward berth, and is good at distributing. Even still, Trevor Corcoran is hurling well at full back and won’t be fazed by following Bevans outfield. You never know which game Michael Cordial will bring with him, and maybe he epitomises Shinrone’s inconsistency. I would expect Brendan O’Meara to capably deal with his threat however.

Shinrone have never been able to operate at Coolderry’s level before (which is still below Birr’s level, it must be said). It would be a surprise if they turned it on here and Coolderry should advance.

SEIR KIERAN v KILCORMAC/KILLOUGHEY
Last meeting K/K 1-16 Seir Kieran 0-13, playoff 2006
Last 5 meetings K/K 4, Seir Kieran 1 (2000 semi).

Not a preview as such, as I haven’t seen Kilcormac at all since the championship resumed since the ‘summer’ so I can’t give an assessment of where they really are. If anyone wants to comment on how the conversion of styles is going for them, please feel free to comment. . .

As for Clareen, the win over Shamrocks was no surprise, but the manner of the comprehensive win sure was. Their defence was well settled on during the summer while the make-up of the attack is still a work in progress. Leaving off Sean Coughlan raised a few eyebrows, but they’ve options on the bench and Billy Dooley’s introduction on the three-quarter mark will test Damien Kilmartin’s full back play. Having had the Shamrocks match in OCP will stand to them now, and if they keep winning, all their remaining matches will be at headquarters.

Clareen’s last win over K/K was the semi-final in 2000, which was the last great win of the ‘golden-era’ side. They’ve had a few lean years since, but a win here would really herald the dawn of a new era. They won’t fear K/K and a famous win would announce their return as a force again.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Re: lHurling Championship venues

Just for pig-iron I did an analysis of the venues used for the hurling championship matches during the group stages this year. In fairness they’ve spread them out fairly well. Results are below. Note this applies only to the 30 group matches played. I haven’t included the knockout matches played to date.

5 each – Kinnitty & Rath.

2 each – Kilcormac, Crinkill, Lusmagh, Shinrone, OCP, Clareen, Coolderry, Banagher.

1 each – Moystown, Carrig, Mucklagh, Birr.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Re: Offaly Senior Hurling Championship 19/20 September

Senior hurling championship continues this weekend with a quarter final between St. Rynagh’s and Tullamore, the first round replay between Kinnitty and Belmont, while Lusmagh and Ballyskenagh face each other on the relegation final.

ST. RYNAGH’S v TULLAMORE
Last meeting: St. Rynagh’s 2-12 Tullamore 3-8, round 1, 2006
Last five meets: St. Rynagh’s 4, Tullamore 1 (1997).

To be played at the neutral venue of . . . Tullamore! However, Tullamore’s record at headquarters is not good. Although they beat K/K there a few years ago, in recent years they have lost to Lusmagh, Belmont and a quarter final v Birr.

The feeling around Banagher is that they are on a mini-roll, although wins over Shinrone, Shamrocks and Ballyskenagh hardly constitutes title-winning form. Still, they can only beat what’s put in front of them, and they are winning and injury free (to the best of my knowledge).

Tullamore have been struggling lately, and Shane Dooley is carrying the can up front, with the help of the off-the-ball movement of corner forwards Peter Kelly and Edwin Finnerty. This will be the first big test of Cathal Horan who has been hurling at full back of late.

The likely clash of Shane Kelly and Declan Tanner at midfield will go a long way to deciding this. Kelly has been in good form all year for his side, while Tanner will likely take him on physically between the 65’s.

St. Rynagh’s are unproven. They should still win here and advance to a semi final meeting with Birr, though still unproven.

KINNITTY v BELMONT
Last meeting Kinnitty 1-11 Belmont 0-14, round 1 two weeks ago
Last three meets: Kinnitty 2, 1 drawn.

We saw the two sides of Kinnitty in the drawn match two weeks ago. The inept 2009 model one in the first half and glimpses of the 2008 model as they cancelled out the deficit during the second half.

Colm Coughlan might offer them more outfield, perhaps at midfield where he has did his best hurling for them in recent times. Odhran Kealey can do the job of picking up breaking ball around the square himself anyway. They did best, too, when McRedmond fell back to pick up John Ryan, giving James Rigney (unrecognisable with the new helmet!) a freer role. There’s hardly a full hour in McRedmond to do this from the start though.

I’d have no worries about Belmont’s defence (David Kenny was the best hurler on view in the drawn match) or the Flynn/Colin Egan midfield partnership. Jason Clancy did well the last day though for all John Ryan’s bullocking very little came from it by way of scores. Ryan should have been sent off too for two vicious swipes, one of which was after the whistle blew.

Mark and Paul Egan hurled well but the forwards didn’t perform as a unit and Alan Egan is not going through a good fun of form. The full forward line got much of their possession with their backs to goal and Belmont need to find a way of getting them facing the goal.

I thought at the time Belmont had lost their chance and haven’t changed my mind since. Kinnitty have more scope for improvement and if they were to take a decent lead at any stage they might click and Belmont would be under severe pressure to respond. Kinnitty to win.

LUSMAGH v BALLYSKENAGH
Last meeting: Lusmagh 2-10 Ballyskenagh 0-8, round 4 2004
Last 3 meets: Lusmagh 1, Ballyskenagh 1, 1 draw.

Ballyskenagh’s difficulties have been well documented though they showed signs of improvement against Tullamore recently. With Cathal Murphy back from suspension and the Derek and Alan Middleton back, they look set to field their strongest team yet this year.

Lusmagh did well against Shinrone the first day, but slipped back into a rut again when losing the replay heavily. They, too, are nearing full strength again, though it may be too soon to risk David Moran for longer than a quarter of an hour.

Whoever goes into an early lead should hold onto it as the other team loses heart somewhat. Lusmagh should have enough here but they can’t afford to be complacent.

swiftpost
County player

Post by swiftpost »

The relegation final could turn out to be closer than expected, a lot of games like this can be turned into dogfights if it is even enough at half time.
Lusmagh have a better team and if they start well could win comfortably (10 points) but if ballyskenagh get a start it will be a different story. Regardless of what hammerings each team took, nobody wants to see their club relegated so pride alone should make this game more intense.

As an aside, if skenagh do go down, will they looking at mergering with killavilla (Intermediate relegation playoff - staying up though)? Perhaps they should.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

swiftpost wrote: As an aside, if skenagh do go down, will they looking at mergering with killavilla (Intermediate relegation playoff - staying up though)? Perhaps they should.
Actually that's a good idea and one I hadn't considered myself. They really should amalgamate, it's in both clubs best interests.

Does anyone know why the Clareen .V. K/K reply was not fixed for this weekend?

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

As an aside, if skenagh do go down, will they looking at mergering with killavilla (Intermediate relegation playoff - staying up though)? Perhaps they should.
As far as I know the club members expressed a wish that they would rather be junior on their own than senior with a merger Killavilla. I'm not sure if it was because it was Killavilla or just the fact that they wanted to be on their own but that was definitely a view expressed about 3 years ago from the club. As far as I'm aware it caused a pretty big split in the camp with a lot of lads leaving the club.
The night is darkest before the dawn

uibhfhailiabu
County player

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:
swiftpost wrote: As an aside, if skenagh do go down, will they looking at mergering with killavilla (Intermediate relegation playoff - staying up though)? Perhaps they should.
Actually that's a good idea and one I hadn't considered myself. They really should amalgamate, it's in both clubs best interests.

Does anyone know why the Clareen .V. K/K reply was not fixed for this weekend?
The Clareen v K/K replay was not fixed for this weekend because K/K junior footballers (which has the majority of senior hurlers on team) are playing Daingean in the semi final on Saturday. Although I cant understand why the county board didnt change the football to next weekend and have the hurling this weekend? the way things are going, it'll be christmas by the time the final is on!!! :? :D
Keep The Faith

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

uibhfhailiabu wrote: Although I cant understand why the county board didnt change the football to next weekend and have the hurling this weekend?
Perhaps because the footballers of the club are just as entitled to a schedule of games as the hurlers, because in theory at least, the two sports are of equal value?

Regarding Ballyskenach and Killavilla merging, well of course there would be a logic to it, but every club is entitled to do things their own way. Ballyskenach have had a great few years as a solo club, so you could understand why they might want to bide their time until the good times came around again. Either way, the option was presented to the club and they turned it down, so if they're happy with that, then that's their best interests served right there.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

uibhfhailiabu
County player

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

Lone Shark wrote:
uibhfhailiabu wrote: Although I cant understand why the county board didnt change the football to next weekend and have the hurling this weekend?
Perhaps because the footballers of the club are just as entitled to a schedule of games as the hurlers, because in theory at least, the two sports are of equal value?

Dont get me wrong LS, i agree totally. The footballers are perfectly entitled to have their fixture schedule upheld. The club here focuses too much on the hurling and perhaps not enough on the football. But my point is that with this hurling championship dragging on so much, thats why I wondered why things might have been changed around..
Keep The Faith

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I hear Tullamore beat 'Rynagh's 3-12 to 1-17. Anyone got any news on this?

Elsewhere Lusmagh confirmed their senior status with a 10 point win over Ballyskenagh, 5-11 to 1-13, so relief in the parish.

Kinnitty didn't take too long to demolish Belmont yesterday evening. They gave by far their best performance of the year and they already led 0-10 to 0-3 when Shane Kinsella scored the only goal of the game coming up to half time. Final score 1-14 to 0-8.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Great win for Tullamore but perhaps the result says more about St.Rynaghs. The last few years and indeed decade for them has been nothing short of a disater, this result being made all the more abhorrent by the fact that they topped their group. Anybody at this?

Kinnitty were indeed impressive in their win over Belmont, who for their part never played quite as well as in the drawn game. Nonetheless, Kinnitty were deserving winners and were it not for David Kenny they would have won by more.

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:I hear Tullamore beat 'Rynagh's 3-12 to 1-17. Anyone got any news on this?
All I heard was Tullamore went ten points down and Kevin Martin came on and played a stormer.

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Anyone with any bit of a report on the Tullamore game lads? One of the shocks of the year and one that no-one seen coming bar Kemo Sabe :D . Shame on me for my lack of faith.
"Ohhh mamma!"