Brosna Gaels

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Extra time
Junior B

Brosna Gaels

Post by Extra time »

Was wondering does any1 know anything about brosna gaels?heard it was a cracking game of hurling yesterday between them and kk!best of the year by a long way!

Georgio1
All Star

Re: Brosna Gaels

Post by Georgio1 »

Well done to the Gaels, we need more true Intermediate teams challenging for this grade.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

What was the actual result of this? The official website is giving it as 1-16 to 2-11 in favour of K/K, but the above posts suggest that the Gaels won - can anyone confirm before I settle up the tipsters?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

crossbar
Junior B

Post by crossbar »

Was at the game the score was 1-16 to 2-11 in favour of Brosna Gaels

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

What players were lining out for each team?

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

Team line ups were:

kk
1.conor slevin
2.damian cassidy
3.brian mahon
4.niall leavy
5.brian feighery
6.ger healion
7.david mitchell
8.joey lynch
9.joe dunican
10. derry guinan
11.barry gorman
12.alan kenna
13.aidan bracken
14.paul commins
15.john kenna.
derry guinan didnt start, cant remember who replaced him.

brosna gaels.
1.ger spain
2.stephen kenna
3.glenn halligan
4.trevor phelan
5.karl daly
6.kevin lynam
7.jeffery cuskelly
8.sean hackett
9.des egan
10.richard fox
11.alec mooney
12.declan rohan
13.thomas spain
14.fergal daly
15.alan lynam.

Trevor Phelan, Des Egan, Fergal Daly and Alan Lynam were the best for Brosna Gaels. Paul Commins was very good for kk and will surely make the step up to the 1st side.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Thanks for those teams.
Its good to see Brosna Gaels making strides.
I do think for long term development it would be better if they had less dual players though.
Maybe I'm being picky?

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

In all fairness, they are going to have to have dual players. Setting up a new team they are not going to get 15/18 soccer players taking up hurling. Would be good if we could see some ambition amongst some of the hurling only clubs to get more involved in promoting football,( and indeed KK who have potential county footballers in their hurling squad!!)
Hopefully in a few years BG will be able to bring through a supply of young guys who just wish to play hurling and are pushing for slots on county teams.

Extra time
Junior B

Post by Extra time »

does offaly have a intermediate hurling team that takes part in the all ireland series?

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Georgio1 wrote:Would be good if we could see some ambition amongst some of the hurling only clubs to get more involved in promoting football
Agreed. I hate this hurling snobbery that goes on. Especially in the likes of Kilkenny. "God look at us, we're so great at hurling that we completely take the piss out of anyone that chooses to play football." In some hurling strong-holds like Kilkenny it's better to be a bad hurler than a good footballer and it's an attitude that for me takes away slightly from their achievements.
The night is darkest before the dawn

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:
Georgio1 wrote:Would be good if we could see some ambition amongst some of the hurling only clubs to get more involved in promoting football
Agreed. I hate this hurling snobbery that goes on. Especially in the likes of Kilkenny. "God look at us, we're so great at hurling that we completely take the piss out of anyone that chooses to play football." In some hurling strong-holds like Kilkenny it's better to be a bad hurler than a good footballer and it's an attitude that for me takes away slightly from their achievements.
Completely agree. My comeback to boastful Kilkenny supporters (i.e. the lads who don't hurl, don't take part in a club but love to talk about how great KK is in a pub) is that the GAA exists in a county to provide games for its' members, and in this regard Kilkenny is the biggest failure of a county in Ireland. I completely understand that some clubs aren't able to field football teams of their own, but if I'm living in Kilkenny, surely I should be accommodated in my wish to play a meaningful club season, with a league and championship throughout the summer? If I have to play with a club twenty miles away as a permission player so be it, but this craic of a three or four game season ending in April is nonsense. More importantly, surely I'm entitled to have a county team to aspire to? That's the thing about Croke Park - if you're good enough, you can get there. If you're a footballer in Kilkenny, you can't get there, no matter how good you are, because you're effectively blocked from doing so.

Now there is a legitimate comeback to this which is that Kilkenny at least facilitates handball, which is more than some counties do, and in Offaly we're not exactly at the forefront there either, but even so, while our county board often gets slated for not doing enough to create a winning environment, I will say that they tick most of the boxes in terms of facilitating playing games, which should be their first priority.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

Well done Brosna Gaels on defeating Ballinamere on Sat evening and making their first intermediate hurling final.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Well done indeed to them.
Does this mean that they will go Senior next year as they play Birr in the Inter final?

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Well done to the Gaels, with their pace they will trouble Birr in the final. They well deserved their win from what i saw of te second half. Best of luck to them, will be some party if they bring home the cup!

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

On a side note and maybe not a fair comment to make, but I was amazed to see Michael Duignan playing for Ballinamere, given his sad loss during the week.
Suppose is his call, but dont know how he could be up to it.