Football championship relegation

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Football championship relegation

Post by Lone Shark »

With the farce that is the Edenderry vs Gracefield game looming (I presume Gracefield contributors could confirm that there is no training going on over there - Black and Red, Johnno81?) a thought occured to me with regard to the relegation issue which might kill two birds with the one stone.

Obviously this is most relevant for the senior grade but the same principle could be applied down along the line.

Rather than having three teams with one loser and having the awkwardness of trying to execute that, why not include the losing Intermediate finalists and then have four teams with two straight playoffs for senior status? It means there is a much more natural structure whereby winner survives and loser drops, but also it allows for easier up and down between senior and intermediate, which should satisfy those who argue that there are clubs just "hanging on" at senior level. I'm not saying I necessarily subscribe to this view, but it exists - most notably aired by Richie Connor in the Tribune in the run up to last year's intermediate decider when he said that he felt both WI and Brigids were entitled to be senior clubs.

The difficulty is that it leaves the clubs in the drop zone hanging on until the final of the intermediate is played, which does seem severe, and I'm not sure how to get around that. Perhaps the answer might be to draw out the pairings and let the first two senior clubs (for example Shannonbridge and Gracefield) play their match at an appropriate time, but then the third team (Edenderry) get a guarantee that their game will be played within seven days of the Inter final - so that both teams are working with less than ideal prep rather than just the one. In theory Edenderry would go for this since it would be an easier draw. (I did say in theory please note!)

Walsh Island/Doon would be happy to accept this stipulation since it's still a chance that they wouldn't otherwise have got.

What do ye think - workable or no?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Football championship relegation

Post by bracknaghboy »

I totally welcome discussion on this. The 3 team group just doesn't add up. Yes people might say Shannonbridge have had 2 chances now to save themselves and they have but I think that fact that they will most likely go down because Edenderry only have to come within a few points of a team with nothing to play for is flawed somewhat. Perhaps Gracefield will enjoy this and play with attacking football since they are under zero pressure which could upset Edenderry.....the Reds might be under the impression (like most of us) that they just have to turn up! There might be more life in this than we think.

Long term......well the Intermediate losers participating for a shot a senior is interesting and different, however (and its just my opinion) I think that promotion to senior should be reserved for the winners only. I also heard over the summer (can't remember where....it could have been drunk talk) that counties were now only allowed a 1 up 1 down policy.....some counties were also promoting teams based on league standings as well and GAA headquarters pulled them on this....has anyone ever heard this???

Possible solution.....maybe put the three bottom teams in a hat. First 2 out play (Say Gracefield play Shanonbridge). Gracefield win and are now safe. Shannonbridge now play Edenderry and the losers head for intermediate. Bit of "luck of the draw " involved but it would mean 2 very competitive games and no farce match. Also it would uphold the concept of the 3 bottom teams only being involved (me being against the intermediate runners up being involved). Downside is that one team wil get a shot at survival but thats life with open draws.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Football championship relegation

Post by Lone Shark »

I can see why you couldn't do anything based on leagues - after all fixture congestion and county managers calling on players means that league games often have to be played without county players, and that's not even allowing for dual players in a county like Offaly. It's utterly unrealistic to put such a system in place and of course it should be shot down.

I had no idea that there was a restriction on the numbers up and down, and I'd be amazed if that was the case, however it's news to me so I'm not denying it. Whatever about a county like Offaly, it would be farcical in some of the bigger championships where to be honest you could probably be justified in moving three teams up and down. I don't know of any county where this is the case, but if you have senior championships with 20 teams (Galway Hurling) 24 teams (Cork hurling) or even 32 teams (Dub football) then it's farcical that only one team goes up, or equally that it's so hard to get relegated.

Regarding wednesday's fixture, I'd be amazed if Gracefield do anything other than trundle around the field and fulfil the fixture. The have no incentive - can you imagine how long the bitterness would last if they busted a gut for no reason other than to try and relegate Edenderry? Of course it would be fair in the greater scheme of things but it's highly unlikely that this will be anything other than a comfortable win for Edenderry, probably seven or eight points.

In that regard I agree completely that the draw and then just two fixtures would be fairer. Of course it's skewed when a relatively strong club like Gracefield get's sucked into the mire, but at least then you'd have to lose to the other club that's arguably just as bad as you. In fairness Edenderry and Shannonbridge have had identical seasons - very unlucky not to get anything out of their first game, tried hard but made some crucial mistakes in their second and then completely got destroyed in their third fixture - before drawing with each other. Indeed both clubs even lost a midfielder and a fringe county player to the States. There really is little basis for saying one is better than the other.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.