Ciaran McManus to stay on another year

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Ciaran McManus to stay on another year

Post by Bord na Mona man »

McManus to solider on

26 August 2009

Ciaran McManus is to commit himself to the Offaly cause for a remarkable 16th year.

It was widely expected that the Tubber clubman would retire after playing only a minor part in the Faithful County's 2009 campaign, but he has revealed that he has no intention of hanging up his boots just yet.

"I'm still enjoying my football as much as I ever did," the 34-year-old told the Irish Daily Star.

"I'm training as hard as ever. I'm in good shape and I don't have any injury problems. I'll definitely make myself available for Offaly next year and I've already informed the team management.

"After that, it's up the team management to decide if I can do a job for them. If they feel I can, I will be only too happy to play for Offaly."

McManus' commitment to Offaly is without question. Despite his work with ESB International taking him to Finland and Germany in recent years, he has still managed to line out for the Faithful County.

This year, he missed a lot of training with the squad due to work commitments in Southampton, and was a surprise omission from the team that started the Leinster SFC opener against Kildare. But after coming on in that game, he was restored to the starting line-up for the narrow All-Ireland qualifier loss to Wexford.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Ciaran McManus to stay on another year

Post by Bord na Mona man »

This is welcome news.
Offaly needs leaders and the younger players need good example in dedication and preparation.
Seemingly Mac will be back living in Ireland next year, so this should help his preparation.

For Offaly this year he looked to be short of a bit of petrol in the championship.
Maybe a year of training with the panel and no commuting will help.

Tony Browne has shown that players heading into their mid 30s have still a lot to offer.

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

Fair play to him. Good news.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Definitely this is a huge boost to Tom Cribbin. McManus has plenty of critics in the county, but even his harshest detractors would acknowledge that in terms of preparation and attitude to the game, he is as good a role model as any team could hope to have. You know even now that he'll present himself in great condition to play football and having his experience around can only help what will presumably be a quite young panel.

Anyway, just the same as we say of young players that if they're good enough, they're old enough - well equally of those at the other end of their careers, if they are fit and strong enough, then they're young enough. You'd have no doubts about Ciarán on those criteria.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Superted
Intermediate

Post by Superted »

Great News, you can guarantee 100% commitment from him as always, not only that he's playin well for Tubber aswell!

noodles
Junior A

Post by noodles »

yeah Maccer is building a house in Tubber at the moment and getting married soon so he looks like returning home for good, has been an unbelieveable servant to both club and county, particularly at club where he is helping to bring along a good bunch of young footballer's who really look up to him. on a side note, it sickens me to hear the abuse he takes within the county from some other club supporters who take things too far at times, while supporting him when he is wearing the county colours
move the ball fast into the full forward line

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Terrific news, It was so sad to see him taken off in Wexford and it would have been a lousy way to end a fantastic career so well done Mac for coming back next year to help the younger lads on the panel. Without doubt the most popular footballer in Offaly and you couldn't meet nicer people than the McManus family.

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

ciaran mc manus is one of the greatest players to put on the county jersey.i am a great admirer of his dedication and spirit and has my 100% backing to play for offaly next year , but there cant be a repeat of this year where he was played in 3 or 4 different positions in the league and then dropped to the bench for the championship, he ,no doubt , will be a great mentor or impact sub this coming year but realistically, what will be his role, if this management team have worked out some 3 yr or 5 yr strategy.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

If 20% of his dedication, enthusiasam and genuine passion for the county jersey rubbed off on some of our other panalists we'd be well on the way! Its good news. Yes he's inconsistant but if he isn't messed around next year he has a big role to play.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Great news.
I am a huge admirer of Ciaran McManus and all he has given to Offaly over the years both in his dedication and in the manner is which he is always prepared to step up in high pressure situations.
In my eyes he is a legend of Offaly football, a gent off the field and is the first player I would point to as an example to any young player.

Now if only the rest of the panel could show a fraction of his commitment then we would be sure things for All-Ireland 2010!