Club V County

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Club V County

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I've raised this before maybe a year ago, I can't find the thread now but I just thought I'd fire it up again.

I've noticed here that with another bumper week of hurling this weekend and with both Club Championships in full flight there seems to be very little activity on the board. A league game in Carlow in either code seems to get more webspace than club championship games.

Now I know the nature of the hurling Championship means that these games are little more than league games but even so, I was just wondering, do some people here consider themselves Offaly supporters and not really have much interest in the Club team. Or do they feel it's easier to have a conversation on something we're all mutually interested in, OR are they actively involved in the club and just want to keep their opinions close to their chest.

In fact, which would you prefer, Offaly to win a Leinster or your club to win the County Final??

Just some random bullsh*t to waste away a Friday afternoon!
The night is darkest before the dawn

Lone Shark
All Star

Re: Club V County

Post by Lone Shark »

TheManFromFerbane wrote: Now I know the nature of the hurling Championship means that these games are little more than league games ...........OR are they actively involved in the club and just want to keep their opinions close to their chest.
I'd say the above two sums it up. In fairness, the football tends to get a reasonable level of activity, however the hurling hasn't been helped this season by the fact that Birr look relatively strong as well, while each of the three obvious contenders to unseat them (Kinnitty/KK/Coolderry) appear to be a little bit behind last year. All in all, it's hard to get excited by it all.

As for the latter bit, I suppose again that's natural too. If we take the playing populations to represent the overall balance within the county, the 12 senior clubs are responsible for 29 teams in the adult hurling championships, which is 59% of the total. If we extrapolate that to the entire hurling following in the county, it means that 60% of the posters out there would be members or else supporters of a senior club. In football, the number is still high but it's a slightly more moderate 49% (29/59 teams).

Of course that's a theory that might have nothing to do with anything, but still, it's plausible.

As for the club vs county debate, I think a lot of that depends on how involved you are with your club. I spent six years working in Dublin, during which time I'd say I would have made 70% of county league games and I'm pretty sure I would have attended every championship match - while at club level I would have made most (but not all) of the championship games and feck all league matches, since you simply didn't know when they were on, even if you were home. Back then, a Leinster title would have meant an awful lot. It still would now, but over a club championship (at any grade I might add! :D )? No way.

Asking club vs county is probably the same as asking are you involved in your club, for most people.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

swiftpost
County player

Post by swiftpost »

For the club hurling POTH usually hits the nail on the head!! So there usually isnt too much to add!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

So now it's all MY fault! :o :o
swiftpost wrote:For the club hurling POTH usually hits the nail on the head!! So there usually isnt too much to add!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

We may bar him so. He's too good! We need him to throw out some really controversial statements and rub people up the wrong way.

Speaking of which, where is Offaly's Future :lol:
The night is darkest before the dawn

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:We may bar him so. He's too good! We need him to throw out some really controversial statements and rub people up the wrong way.

Speaking of which, where is Offaly's Future :lol:
Will you leave well enough alone while he's quiet...

noodles
Junior A

Post by noodles »

definitely club winning a county championship would be amazing especially for a small club (guys from Tullamore and Rhode are probably used to this :) ). Of course would love to see Offaly win a leinster(97 was great) but they have been rubbish for a few years now and it gets a bit disheartining. But nothing compares to club although it will probably remain a dream.
move the ball fast into the full forward line

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

dont be slagging off a game in carlow! sur we ve the measre of ye now in both! winning with your club is a great thing, one you ll never forget. for me the stand out medal i won was a junior b football, as we had lads who returned home, returned to football, returned to sobriety and returned to saying "nah love, just make it a medim meal", and we all gave it as best we good for the few months. i think we trained harder than the seniors that year.. well we sweated more anyhow, some in an unhealthy way..our full back was called the mummy not for his loving nature, but for his strapping.. no one knee had he legs at all.. course the training was as much about the craic as anything.. bet the AA for some lads! see we didnt pray or go dig spuds in a field.. much.. it wasnt a great sign that most of the lads togs were knee length efforts with pockets for suncream in them, such was there sojurn from the game.. but i have to say it was the medal i enjoyed winning the most and the one we still chat about. course things havent been the same since the dinner dance for some lads.. up carlow! and closely followed by offaly!

summerbreeze
Junior B

Post by summerbreeze »

For me it would definitely be club for the county or leinster :) as opposed to offaly winnin the leinster..

Don't get me wrong, i love county football, but when it comes to club, it's more close to home (obviously!) but you're more likely to know the lads personally, be involved, or know their families or friends.
County Pride is great... but club pride is something else!

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

yeah, that very good alrite..