Good Interview with Seamus Darby

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
True Red
All Star

Good Interview with Seamus Darby

Post by True Red »

Another good interview with Seamus Darby on the Edenderry GAA Website - www.edenderrygaa.com

In this interview he gives his views on his managers, Eugene McGee and the late Fr Tom Gilhooley. He talks of his favourite players, and his footballing colleagues. He also talks of training and playing with Edenderry and marking his own brother in a championship tie with Rhode.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: Good Interview with Seamus Darby

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

The best grounds you ever played in?
'I had the distinction of playing in Wembley which was something special, but I suppose Croke Park for atmosphere and everything'.
Wha?!?
The night is darkest before the dawn

club125
Senior

Post by club125 »

In the 50's, 60's & 70's the GAA used to arrange exhibition matches for the Diaspora across the water. Many of the games were played in Wembley, the Darbs must have played in some of them
Last edited by club125 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

'Tell us about the brandy incident the night before the All-Ireland final in '82?

'I had come home from a team meeting. My wife was pregnant, I knew I wouldn't sleep so I rang my brother in-law Kevin Farrell and asked him had he anything to drink. He said he had a bottle of brandy but had nothing to put into it. I said I would find something to put into it, I got a bottle of red lemonade and between the two of us we had a good sup'.

The full bottle?

'Well there wasn't a whole lot left in it no'. :o

...fielding a wet 50 yard ball dropping from the clouds with a half bottle of brandy swilling around inside you .... as if the story wasnt epic enough..

Micheal Irvin the Dallas Cowboys wide recieiver was some man to burn the candle at both ends but a half Bottle of Brandy the night before an all ireland final !! F*ck me !

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

a priest called tom mc namara from cork started to get exhibition games in wembley between all ireland champs and either all stars or exiles in the early 60s and this continued every year till the late 70s when ruislip was built. so i would say many of the greats in those 20 odd years have the distinction of playing football or hurling in wembley.

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

Another good interview on www.edenderrygaa.com. This time its Gerry Carroll. Worth a read. He doesnt spare the county board