Interview with Finbarr Cullen

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
True Red
All Star

Interview with Finbarr Cullen

Post by True Red »

There is a great interview with Finbarr Cullen available now on www.edenderrygaa.com

Well worth a read.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Re: Interview with Finbarr Cullen

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Great interview, one of the Offaly greats, a great centre back, not much passed.
Be careful out their

club125
Senior

Post by club125 »

Legend..Super interview

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Great stuff. I have huge respect for the man. Great to see the site is back up and running after the hassle earlier on. It's definitely the shining light of the county's websites so it's good to see it's back up and running.
The night is darkest before the dawn

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Without a doubt our best defender in a long time. Players with the honesty of this guy are no more I'm afraid. If ever there was a man to go 70mins regardless of the score or situation and never once pulled out of a ball. Its a pity he retired in '03 he had 2 more years in him but injury got the better of him. Read the piece about Tommy Lyons......its very interesting how Cullen feels Lyons was testing lads to play for Offaly. Its true he was. Also very interesting to note that he believes the likes of the training Lyons was doing doesn't happen these days anymore. In late 1996 Lyons had to drop very few lads from the starting panel of 50, after about 3 sessions in Edenderry 15 left of their own accord.....i witnessed one of those early sessions on a damp sunday morning and I've never seen anything like it since, i'd love to see Lyons back.....there many of the current panel that would be running for mammy :lol:

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

bracknaghboy wrote: Players with the honesty of this guy are no more I'm afraid.
I think this comment does a dis-service both to the genuine nature of several of the current calibre, as well as the classiness and talent of Cullen. Cullen didn't have anything by way of bravery or commitment that I would say wasn't equally present in someone like Ger Rafferty, but the difference is that Cullen was a great all round footballer with pretty much all the skills of the game in his locker. He was a very tough defender certainly but he was no slouch on the ball either.

Without question one of the best footballers ever produced by the county and it's a pity that he's not really involved to a greater level in Offaly football himself at the moment - though obviously he owes us nothing having given so much when he played.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

He's probably too young yet to be regarded as one, but if Finbarr was on either the 70's or 80's teams he would be regarded as a legend now. Completely understand his view on the attractiveness of coaching as opposed to managing.
But given his views on Offaly's future and his willingness to get involved with coaching, is he not an ideal candidate to join whatever James Stewart is doing.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Superb stuff. Essential reading