Senior Football Championship 2009 - Round 2

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
azoffaly
All Star

Re: Senior Football Championship 2009 - Opening matches

Post by azoffaly »

Didn't know which thread to put this in, but sure this is probably as good as any. Great win for Ferbane on Sunday morning in Ballycumber against Tubber. Our midfield and half lines were really on top for most of the game, apart from a couple of sticky patches when Tubber looked dangerous and picked off a few very good scores into the wind. 2 points lead at half time was not safe by any means, especially with a strong breeze, but the first 10 minutes after the break were vital as Ferbane gained a stranglehold in the middle, and Ronan Daly, Colin Egan and Ciaran Kenny looked very dangerous altogether. Kenny's goal was the killer moment, and actually he could have had up to three more, snatching at one, and hitting the post with two others, one of which was almost a carbon copy of his effort against Edenderry.

Ferbane are improving, and this was much better by them. Against the wind they had purpose, method and execution and they made Tubber look fairly limited. If they can continue to improve, they might just shake up the scene a bit yet this year. Declan Nugent in goals was the man of the match against Edenderry probably, but he only had one half save to make in this one when a long ball cam into the square in the second half. The Ferbane full back line played the dangerous Tubber full forwards perfectly. If they couldn't win the ball out front, they held position, forced them wide and either won the ball back or forced Tubber to go laterally.

Mac was quiet, was kept quiet, until he went in full foward and caused a bit of consternation for a few minutes, but Tubber were never winning enough ball to really get him into it.

We were very encouraged leaving Ballycumber, although there is still an awful lot of work to do.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

summerbreeze
Junior B

Post by summerbreeze »

The absence of Gearóid O'Grady from the Tullamore forward line (I heard that he's not playing at all this year - is that true?) combined with Shane Dooley also being absent meant that the Tullamore attack was very toothless.

Does anyone know what the story is with these two players who were also absent from their game against edenderry on sunday.. will they be back for the next tie against ferbane??????

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Question. If Tullamore beat Ferbane, and Tubber beat Edenderry, all 3 teams will have 4 points. What happens then?

club125
Senior

Post by club125 »

Scoring Difference comes into play.

On the other hand if Ferbane beat Tullamore and Edenderry beat Tubber by 1 point.

Ferbane and Edenderry go through

Kemo Sabe
All Star

Post by Kemo Sabe »

summerbreeze wrote:
The absence of Gearóid O'Grady from the Tullamore forward line (I heard that he's not playing at all this year - is that true?) combined with Shane Dooley also being absent meant that the Tullamore attack was very toothless.

Does anyone know what the story is with these two players who were also absent from their game against edenderry on sunday.. will they be back for the next tie against ferbane??????
o grady is not playing at all this year but shane will be back for the ferbane game if he is not injured ,really hope he is back as he makes a huge difference to the forward line .
great history hoping for a better future

azoffaly
All Star

Senior Football Championship 2009 - Round 2

Post by azoffaly »

club125 wrote:Scoring Difference comes into play.

On the other hand if Ferbane beat Tullamore and Edenderry beat Tubber by 1 point.

Ferbane and Edenderry go through
So if Ferbane beat Tullamore and end up with 6 points, are they in a semi final? I know there's 3 groups, so I'm assuming it's the top 2 group winners? Given that Rhode will probably end up with 6, and Clara are looking good for 6 as well, will scoring difference decide which 2 group winners get into the semis?

bluegoalie
Junior B

Post by bluegoalie »

2 out of the top 3 are drawn from a hat to decide which 2 go directly into the semi's. All done fairly of course!!! :lol: i bet clara and rhode will go straight thru!!! so whats the predictions for the final 6- mine is:

Rhode
Shamrocks
Tubber
Tullamore
Clara
Erin Rovers

Leaving the Relegation Battle to:
Shannonbridge
Edenderry
Gracefield

summerbreeze
Junior B

Post by summerbreeze »

bluegoalie wrote:2 out of the top 3 are drawn from a hat to decide which 2 go directly into the semi's. All done fairly of course!!! :lol: i bet clara and rhode will go straight thru!!! so whats the predictions for the final 6- mine is:

Rhode
Shamrocks
Tubber
Tullamore
Clara
Erin Rovers

Leaving the Relegation Battle to:
Shannonbridge
Edenderry
Gracefield
How do you reckon that tubber and tullamore will come out of that group? considering they both have lost 1 won 1, and ferbane have 2 wins under the belt. looking at the table the way it stands then ferbane have an 8 point points diffence aswel, so if it goes on points difference surely ferbane will make it out either in 1st or 2nd position?

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

if ferbane beat tullamore and edenderry beat tubber then ferbane and edenderry go through

summerbreeze
Junior B

Post by summerbreeze »

red exile wrote:if ferbane beat tullamore and edenderry beat tubber then ferbane and edenderry go through

And i think this is possible, as long as edenderry don't drop the heads that is, because from looking at both games there really wasn't much in it either way.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Is the Rhode v Shamrocks match in O'Connor Park tonight @ 7.30, should be a great game?
Be careful out their

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

naasmanxrhode wrote:Is the Rhode v Shamrocks match in O'Connor Park tonight @ 7.30, should be a great game?
That's the fixture anyway - haven't heard about it being changed. On current form Rhode should win easily enough, but you never know with Shamrocks either. Should be a good game certainly, might be able to make the spin down yet.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Rod 1-10 Shamrocks 1-10
Poor game of football, conditions were slippy, Rod were 5 pionts to 4 ahead at half time after playiong with a small breeze. Rhode started without Declan Murphy (David Hope) and Roy Malone (Niall Cole) both hamstrung. Niall was well marshalled by Neville who was Shamrocks best player. Pascal was Rhodes best player scoring 2 points from play. The game got exciting with 10 minutes to go. Anton was brought down in the square and Niall scored the resultant penalty to leave Rhode leading 1-08 to 0-06. Match over or so we thought. Shamrocks scored a point then a goal then 2 points to lead by one. Rhode equalised and then Shane had a chance to win the match but fisted wide from 10 yards. Niall scored 1-05 only 1 point from play and was poor by his high standards. Rhode brought on no subs, why I don't know because Cole, Coffey , O'Connell, Heavey and Anton were very average to say the least. PJ Ward was good and very bad kicking some bad wides. A big crowd in attendance for a Wednesday night. P.S. John O'Reilly (ref) was desperate (for both sides)
Be careful out their

Sniper
Junior B

Post by Sniper »

Were you at the game Naasman?
I thought it was a good game. End to end in the second half. Niall macs penalty put Rhode 5 up. Shamrocks then brought on Molloy and tom Coughlan, replacing both midfielders I think. They surged down the field to hit 1 3 without reply. Molloy with the goal, coughlan a point. Rhode equalised, Shamrocks went ahead, again Rhode equalised and nearly stole it at the end. Draw a fair result I think.

Rhode brought on Heavey snr for Cole with about 5 mins to go. Ward and sullivan had a great tussle with ward kicking some great points. Nigel dunne kicked some savage points also(1 in the first half was outrageous). Pascal was excellent. Super cleaned out R Mooney. Niall and Neville had a great tussle also. John Reilly did a great job I thought. He allowed all the fair hitting and blew for anything after the ball and it was a very physical game.

All in all I thought it was an enjoyable game. first half was poor fare but really came to life in the second half. Id say neutrals enjoyed it

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Were you at the game Naasman?
I thought it was a good game.
If you thought that this was a good match, i'd hate to see a bad one, WERE YOU AT IT, barring for the excitement of the last 10 minutes and this was because of the 2 goals. Rhode made a terrible amount of mistakes but never looked like losing. You would'nt pick 3 county men out of it. Shamrocks were happy with their point. Again I stress the ref was terrible.
Be careful out their