The Betting Thread

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offalys Future
All Star

Re: The Betting Thread

Post by Offalys Future »

u-21 leinster final dublin 2/1 to win
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

good call

they were available at 5-2 a few days ago.

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

From oz, 6 game accumalator

Western Bulldogs, Carlton, Geelong, Collingwood, Brisbane Lions, St. Kilda

3/1

GET ON!!

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Lone Shark wrote:Right, I understand that this is somewhat shameless plugging, but hopefully it will be of genuine interest to those who would naturally keep an eye on this thread so some good will come of it. Essentially the concept of the site below (I've linked to my own page but you'll find others) is that it's a collection of reasonably informed betting brains to give info on the various different sports out there, and for some unknown reason yours truly has been nominated to look after the GAA. It's still in it's infancy, but obviously the chances of it continuing are greatly enhanced by (i) hits, (ii) clickthroughs and signups to Ladbrokes, the chief sponsor, and (iii) links from other sites. (Now I'm really being greedy!!)Basically if you're inclined towards betting, have a read, and if you think it's any good then feel free to either act on it or else link to it from any relevant webpages that you may have of your own! Donn McClean in particular is a good read generally and with Cheltenham coming up, he'd be a good man to keep you on the right track. Anyway, here it is...

Lone Shark's Bet Diary

For the record, I've long left Ladbrokes, but you know the way contacts work!!

What has happened to the bet diary? Is it still going?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

turk wrote:What has happened to the bet diary? Is it still going?
Yeah, they just changed domains for reasons I'm not exactly sure - it was supposed to re-route, but obviously isn't doing that. I'll check that out - in the meantime...

Lone Shark's Bet Diary
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Tommy Walsh is 12/1 to be the first player to get booked on Sunday with Paddy Power.
Obviously with all the highlighting of his "close to the edge" play he might tone it down, but on the other hand the referee will be on the look for him and it shouldn't take much for him to earn a yellow.
With the pace and goalscoring prowess of the Tipp forward line, I'd expect the Kilkenny backs to foul tactically when the Tipp forward gets possession.

Johnno81
County player

Post by Johnno81 »

Fancy Eddie Brennan to score first goal - 13/2 and 8/1 as first goalscorer and KK to win....

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Myself I think a good one this weekend is Conor O'Mahony to score the first point at 28/1 with Paddy Power. With all the talk of "putting it up" to Kilkenny, I wouldn't rule out a few wild pulls at the throw in at the start of the match, which could lead to a free either direction. If Kirwan gives it to Kilkenny then it'll be Shefflin at 3/1, but if he gives it the other way we could have O'Mahony with a chance. At 28/1 it's definitely worth a small investment.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

Clare outsiders to beat kilkenny u21s tomorrow. definitely worth a small wager. They've been impressive all the way through. Kk only have one senior panelist and he is subject to an injury scare.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Ruairi Óg Cushendall to beat Loughgiel at 5/6 (was 6/5) with PP is a massive price. Should be 1/2, at most. Don't know how they've come up with this one.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Its terrible to suggest it, but Waterford in the Junior camogie final are value at 13/8.
Offaly are 1/2 favourites,
Waterford beat Offaly by 11 points earlier in the campaign.
Maybe Offaly were understrength that day?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm going through the same thought process. I won't be backing it for obvious reasons, but the pricing looks way wrong.

I do think Offaly were a fair bit behind in their training and they should come on a bit, particularly since Waterford pulled away a lot at the end of that game, but I don't think the odds really reflect quite how much Waterford have improved this season. They have a very professional set up with a seperate psychologist and physical trainer along with a four man management team, and they were very impressive in their provincial championships. Taking a formline through Laois as well, we appear to be a bit off the pace.

The experience of playing in Croke Park will stand to our girls and I've no doubt they geared their season towards this, but my odds compiler instincts are telling me that Waterford should be favourites here. I hope I'm wrong.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lone Shark wrote:I'm going through the same thought process. I won't be backing it for obvious reasons, but the pricing looks way wrong.

I do think Offaly were a fair bit behind in their training and they should come on a bit, particularly since Waterford pulled away a lot at the end of that game, but I don't think the odds really reflect quite how much Waterford have improved this season. They have a very professional set up with a seperate psychologist and physical trainer along with a four man management team, and they were very impressive in their provincial championships. Taking a formline through Laois as well, we appear to be a bit off the pace.

The experience of playing in Croke Park will stand to our girls and I've no doubt they geared their season towards this, but my odds compiler instincts are telling me that Waterford should be favourites here. I hope I'm wrong.

Lads I'd be careful here from a betting perspective. Waterford (at home) beat Down by 3pts. A week later Offaly travelled to Down and won by 29pts. I know drawing lines is dangerous but this seems a bit standoutish to me?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Delighted that I didn't bet and was able to happily cheer on an outstanding Offaly performance. In terms of the skills of the game, our girls were way ahead - lifting striking, first touch and using the ball purposefully were all areas where we were way the better side. Waterford were fit and strong but they never looked like having the craft to use the ball well once they ran with it.

Congrats to them - that was an excellent performance and a very well deserved All Ireland win.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Offaly were excellent and would have given Cork a far tougher test than Kilkenny who looked poor and unfit (not much better than Waterford). I assume Offaly will be senior next year??