The Ultimate Goal

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
gaaa head
Junior A

Post by gaaa head »

Yes I agree about keeping everyone onside but we must also bear in mind that every team has a main sponsor. Personally I feel the oweness is on Carroll Cuisine to come up trumps with the most. But that may not happen i suppose.
A bit of round the field advertising would be sufficient for the other contributors. After all their names have been on the jerseys for as long as I'm around!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

If I'm not mistaken Offaly's contract with Carroll Cuisine is relatively lucrative, certainly in comparison to our neighbours to the north and south. I know the Rossie deal is very well rewarded, but other than that I think we've done very well over the last five years when you bear in mind how poorly our teams have performed and how little in general the sponsors have got in return. Obviously it wouldn't be in the same league as Tyrone's deal with Rocwell or Cork's with O2, but neither are our teams in the same league so what's to be expected?

On the back of another pretty woeful year for our senior footballers and hurlers, twould take some neck to try and hit Carroll Cuisine for another large contribution at the moment.

gaaa head
Junior A

Post by gaaa head »

Thats Offaly's problem in everything. We lack the neck required. Its not like Carroll Cuisine are getting anything in return

gaaa head
Junior A

Post by gaaa head »

Or aren't should I say :oops:

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Carroll Cuisine were bought out by IAWS, so they mightn't be as Offaly as they used to be.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

That would worry me.

I actually think that Carroll Cuisine are getting feck all for their money at the moment. A couple of TV appearances per year at most, with teams getting humiliated regularly - no underage teams making the televised stages of events, a hurling team off the radar entirely in division 2, and low jersey sales. I know for a fact our sponsorship deal returns more than - for example - Laois get out of QK Meats. Equally QK Meats get a helluva lot more from Laois than Carroll Cuisine get out of Offaly.

If IAWS gets around to having a look at that deal they mightn't be too quick to renew, certainly not on the favourable terms we're used to.

I certainly wouldn't like to go tapping them up for another €50K for naming rights to the stand/stadium. In poker terms, I would fear a re-raise and being busted out of it due to them holding a stronger hand.

gaaa head
Junior A

Post by gaaa head »

I have to say that Offaly footballers and hurlers made Carrolls their name in the nineties. I think you'll find they earn alot more than they let on too so a bit of payback wouldn't go astray!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

gaaa head wrote:I have to say that Offaly footballers and hurlers made Carrolls their name in the nineties. I think you'll find they earn alot more than they let on too so a bit of payback wouldn't go astray!
I've no idea how the company is doing, but their ham is nice, so I assume they're doing well.... :D

They could be earning on a Microsoft scale though, and it still won't affect their decision. If it makes business sense to pursue the sponsorship, they will, if not, they won't - unless an MD is deciding with the heart rather than the head - which you would guess will not be the case if IAWS have bought them out.

You'd be wary of the classic phrase though - "But what have you done for me lately?". Truth is irrespective of what's gone by, they'll make the decision based on things as they stand in 2005, and if we step back and ignore any county loyalty, it's hard to see Offaly GAA as a good bet for exposure in the next few years .

gaaa head
Junior A

Post by gaaa head »

If you wish to remain the main sponsor of anything you must have faith and loyalty in whatever it is. If Carroll Cuisine cannot provide what they have provided Offaly with over the last number of years, then maybe its time to ask someone else!
Otherwise go the whole nine yards and fully support the cause. Offaly football and hurling is in dire straits at the moment, while lack of numbers and skill on the field is poor we hardly want our finances dropping either?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

gaaa head wrote:If you wish to remain the main sponsor of anything you must have faith and loyalty in whatever it is. If Carroll Cuisine cannot provide what they have provided Offaly with over the last number of years, then maybe its time to ask someone else!
Otherwise go the whole nine yards and fully support the cause. Offaly football and hurling is in dire straits at the moment, while lack of numbers and skill on the field is poor we hardly want our finances dropping either?
When you say ask someone else - have you anyone in mind? Like I said, I have reason to believe that the deal QK Meats have with Laois, or the one the Greville Arms have with Wastemeath is around 80-85% the value of ours. (I'm not putting this down as hard fact, merely something I heard from an individual who would be in a position to know)

If this is the case, why would anyone else continue with this policy? Why match what we get now when the market value is clearly lower - if anything from a sponsors point of view the Offaly deal at the moment is worth less than the Laois one certainly, and the Westmeath one possibly. Any business making a cold hard business decision would pay us what we're worth relative to the market average and not a cent more. Obviously in many cases you get loyal supporters who give above and beyond out of good will, but I wouldn't like to depend on finding one of those.

Of course I don't "want" our finances suffering - that's why I baulk at the idea of chancing our arm trying to hit these lads for more - I'd be of the mind that until we sort ourselves out and get back to at least being competitive in one or two codes, then keep schtum because we're on to a good thing for now.

gaaa head
Junior A

Post by gaaa head »

Well one thing is for sure, unless we ask we won't receive. Well and good if our main sponsor is not adverse to this proposal, and if not, according to your statistics LS we are gifted with an top class sponsor anyway!