Footballers dropped?

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
rhodeman2
Junior C

Re: Footballers dropped?

Post by rhodeman2 »

smith will be a huge lose if hes missing against wexford. conor carroll broken hand. mcmanus mcnamee midfield. wexford are looking good for the win. 8/15. reckon i'll put 5000 grand on them.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

****************all gone and rightly so.

(edited)
Be careful out their

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Aweflee wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:The difference is that there is so much rumour and counter rumour going around, I'd say feck all people are certain of it, and of those that think they are, a good percentage are possibly mistaken. Since (with a few exceptions) people posting on this discussion board are doing so anonymously, it then becomes the responsibility of the board itself for whatever is said. In that circumstance it's not reasonable to go posting things that cannot be confirmed.

I'm beginning to suspect that we have a lot more female posters than I thought, such is the thirst for gossip on here.
You said in a previous post that you've heard five different names. You weren't talking to "gossipers" were you? :D
They were talking to me, world of difference ... :D
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

naasmanxrhode wrote:****************all gone and rightly so.

(edited)
Could you please pm me who was dropped!
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

faithful till I die
Senior

Post by faithful till I die »

This site has turned into a complete farce. Its like living in Nazi Germany with the control & editing thats going on. Why dont we just scrap the open discussion forum & run a private message service as it seems like every time there is relevant information to be shared it is blocked. Im all for the arguement that we have to be careful re: slander but surely people are entitled to post what they have heard if they believe it to be true & have received it from a reliable source. It seems to me that this site is run entirely for the benefit of the small handful of regular posters & not for the wider Offaly fan base. How anyone can argue to edit this is beyond me. Yeah we can all await for official confimation of those suspended from the panel. We should get that some time in 2012 which is a bit late for those of us heading to Wexford at the weekend.
Offaly awoke never more to sleep.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

faithful till I die wrote:This site has turned into a complete farce. Its like living in Nazi Germany with the control & editing thats going on. Why dont we just scrap the open discussion forum & run a private message service as it seems like every time there is relevant information to be shared it is blocked. Im all for the arguement that we have to be careful re: slander but surely people are entitled to post what they have heard if they believe it to be true & have received it from a reliable source. It seems to me that this site is run entirely for the benefit of the small handful of regular posters & not for the wider Offaly fan base. How anyone can argue to edit this is beyond me. Yeah we can all await for official confimation of those suspended from the panel. We should get that some time in 2012 which is a bit late for those of us heading to Wexford at the weekend.
Disagree.
This isn't the place to be throwing up rumours about players.
Especially when these stories grow legs. For every true story, there will be a few false ones.
Would you be happy to see players who are innocent getting their reputation tarnished by some anonymous internet poster?

From what I have heard, the matter has been dealt with by management.
It is entirely up to them who to drop and who to keep.
It'll be fairly obvious either way what the outcome is.

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

Lone Shark wrote:The difference is that there is so much rumour and counter rumour going around, I'd say feck all people are certain of it, and of those that think they are, a good percentage are possibly mistaken. Since (with a few exceptions) people posting on this discussion board are doing so anonymously, it then becomes the responsibility of the board itself for whatever is said. In that circumstance it's not reasonable to go posting things that cannot be confirmed.

I'm beginning to suspect that we have a lot more female posters than I thought, such is the thirst for gossip on here.
Because all women are just natural gossips while men are the souls of discretion? At the risk of sounding "womany" - Tut tut LS!! :P

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

faithful till I die wrote:This site has turned into a complete farce. Its like living in Nazi Germany with the control & editing thats going on. Why dont we just scrap the open discussion forum & run a private message service as it seems like every time there is relevant information to be shared it is blocked. Im all for the arguement that we have to be careful re: slander but surely people are entitled to post what they have heard if they believe it to be true & have received it from a reliable source. It seems to me that this site is run entirely for the benefit of the small handful of regular posters & not for the wider Offaly fan base. How anyone can argue to edit this is beyond me. Yeah we can all await for official confimation of those suspended from the panel. We should get that some time in 2012 which is a bit late for those of us heading to Wexford at the weekend.
Hardly. Every time someone posts up their views on a match that not every got to see, everytime someone puts up injury news, everytime people talk about what went on at the county board meeting or whatever, all of that is relevant information. The key aspect however is that it is what it is - either opinion, or else information for which an error is not going to be the end of the world.

Anyone who hurls or plays football for Offaly goes out onto the field to play and as well all know, certain players get a harder time than others from members of the crowd. That's never ideal and never correct, but it's sometimes understandable in the circumstances - however it's hardly fair that some players would end up taking abuse unjustifiably, or worse still, being denied selection in years to come because stories grew legs and they developed an unwarranted reputation. To take the example of one of our neighbouring counties, there are five or six lads who were great footballers for Roscommon down the years who are widely believed to have been heavy lads on the sauce. In most of these cases, I've never seen any of these lads with a pint in their hands, and yet if I was appointed as a selector for Roscommon for 2010, I'd be very careful of getting lads like this involved, just in case.

If I'm writing something for publication, you can be damn sure I won't put it down unless I have it from several reliable sources, and unless I am absolutely certain that I can stand over what I said. I am easily found, unlike many people on here who don't have to really worry about the "reliability" of their sources since signing something "Ballinagar Biffo 2009" or some such username is not exactly standing over your words.

As for your last line, the obvious question is why does our chances of winning affect whether or not you would travel to Wexford? If you want to support them, do - if you don't, don't - but it's hardly fair to the young lads who do step in for people to decide that they won't go because a few big names are absent, when if anything they are the ones who would need support least.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Treasurer wrote:

Because all women are just natural gossips while men are the souls of discretion? At the risk of sounding "womany" - Tut tut LS!! :P
ALL women? Of course not. After all, I'm sure if somebody did a tally on the gender balance here and on prezhilton, the results would be around the same... :D

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

I heard last nite that Aidan Keeneghan & Jason Kelly were brought back into the panel from a very reliable source??

They beat Leitrim by 2 points in a challenge in Doon last nite, heard they were septic!!!

faithful till I die
Senior

faithful till I die wrote:Would you be happy to see players who are innocent getting their reputation tarnished by some anonymous internet poster?
No of course not but I honestly cant see the problem with someone who has information which they strongly believe is accurate sharing it. Only the pope is infallible & if someone prefaces their post by stating this is information they are sharing & not fact well then I dont see the difficulty. Its all about intention to me & of course there have to be limits, I accept that. But its not as if people wanted to name individuals as having affairs with ministers or anything, they were simply sharing the names of players caught having a few pints. Lets not blow it out of proportion by saying their reputations could be ruined. The dogs in the street know which players follow codes regarding alcohol use & which ones do not. I dont really care about that, all I wanted to know about was the effect on the Offaly team for the Wexford game & I hate that PM rubbish.

faithful till I die
Senior

Lone Shark wrote:As for your last line, the obvious question is why does our chances of winning affect whether or not you would travel to Wexford? If you want to support them, do - if you don't, don't
Thats not what I meant at all & its a pathetic thing to write. Are you trying to tell me that you are not keenly interested in who is available to line out for your county before a big game. News Flash the players on the pitch usually have a bearing on the result so I wanted to know. I will be there as always no matter what.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

faithful till I die wrote:
Lone Shark wrote:As for your last line, the obvious question is why does our chances of winning affect whether or not you would travel to Wexford? If you want to support them, do - if you don't, don't
Thats not what I meant at all & its a pathetic thing to write. Are you trying to tell me that you are not keenly interested in who is available to line out for your county before a big game. News Flash the players on the pitch usually have a bearing on the result so I wanted to know. I will be there as always no matter what.
Fair enough, misinterpretation on my part so and you have my apologies.

As regards the other issue, I'd say we'll simply have to agree to disagree - while some people might decide to treat it as gossip until they hear otherwise (as I am doing, I might add) others, no matter how much qualification is attached, would decide that "there's no smoke without fire" and presume that something must have happened, irrespective if the source was "a friend of a friend of a friend".

talent spotter
Junior B

Post by talent spotter »

There are some valid arguments on both sides of this discussion, but in my opinion
we are going a little over the top by banning the naming of these players.

If the word comes through from a reliable source, until verified, surely we can discuss
"the alledged" expulsion of player A or player B from the panel??

This after all is a discussion forum, not an official fact based records store.

lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Post by lovelyhurling »

Well its a well known fact in my area for the last 2 days that 3 specific players were dropped and one of the players themselves told me,their gone. Basically means if Wexford dont beat us, there rubbish.
pull hard on your man, he's no relation