ALAN MCNAMEE.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
azoffaly
All Star

Re: ALAN MCNAMEE.

Post by azoffaly »

TheManFromFerbane wrote:
Sniper wrote: Alans game is all about support play. Taking the ball off the backsman whose under pressure carrying the ball out of defence. Playing the one two. Sweeping up broken ball behind the half back line. Breaking the tackle. Spraying 50 yard passes onto the chest of the forwards. There is much more aspects to Alans game but unfortunetly High fielding is not his strong point.

Worth a shot at centre back??

I actually think that might be worth a shot. I take Lone Shark's point, but Alan's deficiencies in those areas are as a midfielder. As a centre back holding the position, and not getting dragged up the field it might just work. He'd certainly be a big body, and he'd at least challenge for possession there.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

lovelyhurling
County player
Club: de field

Post by lovelyhurling »

Yeh he played a big part in that alright and strong play by him but thats a rare moment in the last 2 years. I actually think Pat Roe has played a big part in his failings. In 06, when we got to the leinster, i thought super was very good. His distribution was crucial that year into the forwards. But then we started playin this negative shit which shunned his game. Ye have to admit he has been off form for offaly anyway for the last 2years. Maybe he isnt capable anymore or else he is just off form.

Was at that portlaoise game. Pascals goal was unreal...remember thinking just before he kicked it what is he doing but it came off!
pull hard on your man, he's no relation

faithful till I die
Senior

Post by faithful till I die »

Why is everyone ignoring the big elephant in the corner ? You cant lead the life that Alan leads & still expect to compete at inter-county level. At present he should not be near the team & that is sad for Alan & for Offaly.
Offaly awoke never more to sleep.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

faithful till I die wrote:Why is everyone ignoring the big elephant in the corner ? You cant lead the life that Alan leads & still expect to compete at inter-county level. At present he should not be near the team & that is sad for Alan & for Offaly.
Because to put it quite frankly, unless one of the posters on this board is Alan himself, no-one has a clue what kind of life he's leading. We all know that stories can grow legs no matter who's the person involved but the fact of the matter is that no-one really knows and ultimately, that's not our issue to discusss anyway. If there are lifestyle issues there, then that's for Tom Cribben to deal with as he sees fit. On this board, we discuss football and hurling and I would never discourage anyone from voicing their opinion about any player's form or ability, as long as that line is held at all times - football performance is fair game, idle gossip is not.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

I feel that Alan was treated terribly by team management for the Kildare game, he went out for the toss up and then back to the subs bench, midfield was a disaster, a disgrace against Kildare, 5 subs brought in and him not one of them, can anyone explain.

Also I was at the Portlaoise game, the game in Carlow and the Leinster final against the Crokes and Alan was good to excellent in all these games, now if ye tell me that Conor Carroll is a better player than Alan, well thats a joke.
Be careful out their

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

naasmanxrhode wrote:I feel that Alan was treated terribly by team management for the Kildare game, he went out for the toss up and then back to the subs bench, midfield was a disaster, a disgrace against Kildare, 5 subs brought in and him not one of them, can anyone explain.

Also I was at the Portlaoise game, the game in Carlow and the Leinster final against the Crokes and Alan was good to excellent in all these games, now if ye tell me that Conor Carroll is a better player than Alan, well thats a joke.
Even allowing for your club bias, it's interesting that there's someone else out there who thinks that he played well against Portlaoise and against Crokes. I didn't see it myself, but opinions are opinions after all.

By the way, picking Conor Carroll does not automatically imply that he is a better player than Alan Mc - it simply means that Carroll is considered by the management to be a better fit for whatever they want that player to do.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Against Kilmacud Crokes I can't remember him being either outstanding or woeful.
The big issue here is his Offaly form though.
He just hasn't done it for 3 years now.
And now that Niall Smith is by a long way the best fielder we have, then you look at your other midfield slot and you need someone capable of covering the yards and tackling back.

McNamee's tackling and workrate hasn't been up to scratch. A couple of times in the league this year, when faced by an oncoming opponent and stood rooted to the ground, flailed his arms in the general direction of the incoming man and watched him breeze past. I've no desire to slag players off, but it looked bad.

Tom Cribbin can only judge players on what he has seen since he took over, not on what he gets told a player did 3 or 4 years ago.
I'd like to see him back to his form of old, as he would be a good addition to Offaly, but as currently stands, there is no big injustice being done to him.

faithful till I die
Senior

Post by faithful till I die »

Lone Shark wrote:Because to put it quite frankly, unless one of the posters on this board is Alan himself, no-one has a clue what kind of life he's leading. We all know that stories can grow legs no matter who's the person involved but the fact of the matter is that no-one really knows and ultimately, that's not our issue to discusss anyway. If there are lifestyle issues there, then that's for Tom Cribben to deal with as he sees fit. On this board, we discuss football and hurling and I would never discourage anyone from voicing their opinion about any player's form or ability, as long as that line is held at all times - football performance is fair game, idle gossip is not.
Jesus alive who do you think you are ?! I joined this forum to express my views on Offaly GAA & to hear the opinions of fellow Offaly fans & I wont be told by anyone what I can & cannot discuss. You claim to welcome different opinons & thoughts but as far as I can see anytime somebody writes something you dont agree with you run them down & take the morale high ground. Im not interested in being on this site to make friends or write clever pieces of journalism.It is completely pointless to have a discussion about the lack of form of a player without considering the key element of health & fitness which in my opinion are relevant in this particular case. It is total nosense to analyse how many catches & passes a player has made in club games without applying that same level of analysis to their overall commitment & how they take care of themselves. For the record I am a massive fan of Alan & would love nothing more than to see him back to his best.
Offaly awoke never more to sleep.

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

this threads lifespan has ended and as interesting the views were there is nothing really left to be said unless the topic descends into personal attacks on the player involved very much like the way a few previous threads have gone and although very valid points are being made it might be time to move on

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Well said Red exile, when I put in the original post last Monday I certainly didn't expect the huge response. While all views are welcome and respected it's probably getting a little too personal now, the last thing we want is civil war breaking out amongst ourselves. I think I speak for most of us when I say we would love to see Alan McNamee back to his 2006 form before this year is out for Offaly. Roll on July 4th.

ghostboy
Junior C

Post by ghostboy »

it absolutely sickens me to think people are slating alans life outside of the training regime,like who do fellas think they are with these crazy accusations....the man has a c.v second to none in this county and because he steeps in form people decide that they have the right to start spinning lies.hear something add their own flavour and post it up..i know alan very well and a more committed and self driven individual you wouldnt meet,he is highly health conscious and looks after himself very well.when the drink is axed he stays off it..the rhode lads are very used to doing that so when the same or more is expected with the county team alan does it to the letter of the law..i know people will say he is captain thats what he should be doing, and i agree but i will tell you a member of the clara team matt mitchell was seen drinking the tuesday before the kildare game...thats 100 per cent truth..shows the cutting in him,the ambition...makes me sick to be honest,and then i read all this stuff about alan...tell me the justice,and it seems the clara lads have a reputation for their weekend antics..dont get me wrong alan is no saint,but he has his pints when allowed and doesnt disrupt his team..like fellas tink its only a few pints,but its the other guys who are staying off it,the lads driving 200 miles to training,just not on..get off the mans back,all those who slated him it wasnt too long along ago you where cheering him on or cursing him for playing so well against your team..he will rise again,i know the man too well for him not to...be warned..

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

ghostboy wrote:he will rise again,i know the man too well for him not to...be warned..
Fair play.
Everyone wants to see him back to his best form.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Pre-cursor: I don't want to get caught up in debate and then ironically breathe new life into this thread. So, if you don't agree with me and want to chat about it, PM me. Equally, if you agree with me, same applies.

Lads, it's time to lock this thread up. But before we do, God help me, I'll find myself defending a Rhode man.

I know I've asked LS before (I'm not sure if he told me at the time), but is anybody moderating this forum? It's getting a bit silly. We've had debates before about what this forum should and shouldn't be used for and to be honest, there's always a bit of a political slant put on things. The fact is that there's quite a hit-rate for this site now. It was recently referenced in newspapers and match programs.

How do you think Alan McNamee is going to feel when he reads this thread? Good about himself? I doubt it. Anybody that has played football will be the first to tell you that you always always know if you haven't played well. If Alan McNamee is not playing well, he already knows. If his confidence is low, it'll be the first thing in his head going out on to the pitch. Remember this, he neither selects himself for Rhode nor Offaly. But he plays if selected.

And fair-play to his club-mates for coming on (and registering as new users, in some cases) to support him.

My views about Alan McNamee will remain private. Threads dedicated to individuals (where it's obvious criticism will follow) cannot be a good idea.

I've no problem with an après-match with a one-liner on each player, even with some criticism, but we should try to keep it to that. The real spirit of the forum is in the threads like the Leinster 25 and the one we had recently that was initiated by Silken Thomas (88-98). (And I'm not saying we have to keep looking backwards and feeling all nostalgic!).

Lock-it up.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

The Magpie wrote:Lock-it up.
Agreed.

(Sorry, Magpie I know you said to agree in PM but that wouldn't really get my point across would it!!)
The night is darkest before the dawn