Offaly vs. Wexford match reaction

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Offaly vs. Wexford match reaction

Post by Bord na Mona man »

7 points in it in the end, but Offaly could well have taken them. A real pity David Kenny was clearly off the pace with injury, otherwise Banville was less likely to have stolen 2 goals. Sport can be fickle. Since the league final in Thurles, Banville wriggled out of his suspension for the stroke he pulled that day, while Kenny suffered an injury relapse.

The real problems for Offaly were in the forwards though. The entire half forward line was replaced well before the end. The inability to win good possession and get heading goalward was a killer. Too often Offaly were bunched up and muscled out of it when fighting for the scraps. The referee's tolerance suited Wexford more also. Offaly players who allowed themselves to be bottled up and took the hits and were eventually forced to cough up possession.

Wexford were much cleverer in this regard. They kept the game open and didn't crowd themselves as much. When their midfielders and half forwards won possession, within seconds they were moving into space, whereas Offaly players moved into trouble. It wasn't until Conor Mahon and Diarmuid Horan came into the half forward line that Offaly put finally put the dominant Wexford half back line on the back foot.

The two penalties for Offaly that missed weren't hit with much venom. Maybe Brian Mullins should be brought up to try a piledriver the next time?

It was a great chance to beat a poor enough Wexford team. Offaly aren't any great shakes, but of the two sides, Offaly were the ones who played least to their potential.

For the qualifiers, Offaly really need to improve the catching and aggression of the forwards. By all accounts Diarmuid Horan is heading for the States in a couple of weeks. He looked just the tonic for the half forward line.
Conor Mahon has strength and the ability to go on attacking solo runs. His striking wouldn't be polished, but he could worry defences and draw fouls.
Rory Hanniffy might be of more value to a misifiring attack than he is to the defence.
Dylan Hayden may come into the reckoning too, depending on how close to championship pace he is now.

Despite the location and inconvenience, there was a good Offaly turnout and everyone did their bit to try and support the team. The Wexford crowd seemed very subdued.

This time last year Offaly were dumped out of Leinster by 18 points by Kilkenny. We all know what happened after. The Wexford loss is a big setback, but there every chance we can revive the campaign in the qualifiers.

Georgio1
All Star

Re: Offaly vs. Wexford match reaction

Post by Georgio1 »

This time last year Offaly were dumped out of Leinster by 18 points by Kilkenny. We all know what happened after. The Wexford loss is a big setback, but there every chance we can revive the campaign in the qualifiers

Revive the campaign against who? Laois. Listen, we could not beat a poor Wexford outfit. We have lost the last 3 of these encounters in the second half. We allowed ourselves to be bullied out of it. We are a nice bunch of fancy dans up front who when faced with the physical challenge dont want to know. And everytime we do hit we do it blatantly in front of the ref and are caught.

Kenny was off pace, Cleary hit every ball straight to a Wexford man, Rigney did likewise.Midfield did ok. Mullins puck outs never varied much and there was some differene with his and Fitzie.
Currams, Brady, Molloy anonymous. Dooley picked a few nice points off loose ball. Bergin mixed the good with the crazy. Carroll, anonymous.
I went down to Wexford hopeful, (albeit amazed that despite a pathetic second half effort by these bunch of forwards in te League final tat we could go with the same bunch?) that Dooley had seen enough in training that these guys could produce. But no. And damn it, we could not even strike a penalty well. We were naive in the extreme. We have been building since 2000. Its time to admit finally, the boom is over! We cannot afford to pay this man any longer for this sort of return. If this is the best we can offer, then fair enough, Thank you Joe, but dont clean out your county financially aswell. We are in a complete mess, there is no chance for this team. Unless they are willing, like the footballers to bulk up and dish it out we can forget it. The ref yesterday allowed all sorts to go on, and that my friends was the end for us!

uibhfhaili
County player

Post by uibhfhaili »

It's v hard to equate how Offaly could be so poor and yet come as close as they did to getting something out of the game. This doesn't reflect v well on a v game but limited Wexford side. The difference in sheer determination and attitude was colossal. Is it now expecting too much to expect an Offaly side to match their opponents for heart and passion? Apparently so. It also difficult trying to explain to your Cork born son why do you follow a side who inevitably disappoint and fail to play to their potential. Given whats going on at minor and underage level I really do fear I'll never see Offaly winning and Leinster/All Ireland championships again. Realistic expectation help ease the pain.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

We can talk all we like about where it went wrong and where it can be put right but let's cut all the bullshit here. We couldn't beat a Wexford team minus six of their starting regulars. Surely to god after going down to the gaelic grounds and beating Limerick last year is it too much to expect us to take Wexford's junior team in their own back yard. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT LIKE OUR SENIOR FOOTBALLERS WE ARE JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH AND ALSO LIKE OUR SENIOR FOOTBALLERS 2009 IS DEAD.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

black and red exile wrote:We can talk all we like about where it went wrong and where it can be put right but let's cut all the bullshit here. We couldn't beat a Wexford team minus six of their starting regulars. Surely to god after going down to the gaelic grounds and beating Limerick last year is it too much to expect us to take Wexford's junior team in their own back yard. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT LIKE OUR SENIOR FOOTBALLERS WE ARE JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH AND ALSO LIKE OUR SENIOR FOOTBALLERS 2009 IS DEAD.
thats fair enough to say some of that but you have to ask now why is this the case? What is going on from u-12 right up to u-21. Its a joke, its a shambles. And as i have sai time and time again unless this is rectified then the senior hurling team will never ever have any success again.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

black and red exile
All Star

Driving back from Wexford last night I remembered when the model County won the all Ireland in 96 Liam Griffin, amongst all the celebrations and back slapping stated just a few days after winning the McCarthy cup that hurling in Wexford was in very serious danger of falling by the wayside because of neglect at underage level and I can remember some commentators thought that it was amazing that an all Ireland winning manager could make such a statement so soon after guiding his county to the holy grail. As the years rolled on, Griffin's words became painfully true and not only of his own County but Offaly have been a mirror image of Wexford in the last decade in a sense that during the glory years, because of neglect at underage level in our own county we are now also rans in hurling and are way down the pecking order probably about 10th in the ratings at the moment. I bet not many of us thought coming out of croker on sept 13th 1998 that we would fall so far in the space of a decade and in fairness to Offalys future he has been on the button when it comes to the underage structure in Offaly and with every passing year his words are coming to pass and it looks like a very long and rocky road before our academies begin to bear fruit. It's just my opinion but I firmly believe we are talking about 6 to 10 years before we can sit at the top table again.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

black and red exile wrote: It's just my opinion but I firmly believe we are talking about 6 to 10 years before we can sit at the top table again.
Which is optimistic.
If the status quo remains, that won't be happening in 5, 10 or 20 years.

black and red exile
All Star

It certainly looks like the traditional big three seem to have an iron grip on proceedings again which is worrying for the rest of us. Ourselves, Clare and Wexford who dominated the landscape in the mid to late nineties are now very much back as bridesmaids and it is no coincidence that lack of silverware at underage level in Offaly, Clare and Wexford reflects what is happening with our senior teams at this moment. Unfortunatly the odd srap of success like our win in Limerick last year only masks the fact that we are now paying the price of ignoring the kids when we refused to take off the blinkers as we sang our heroes home in Tullamore and Birr with Liam McCarthy. Last night's failure to beat a weakened Wexford side only reminded this supporter of our failings.

Efan
Senior

Post by Efan »

I was wondering as I headed back from Wexford Park last Saturday would we have been better served by the application of the rules used during the NHL as opposed to the “traditional” rules used last Saturday. Wexford set out to knock us out of our hurling stride and press home their physical advantage. I was sitting in front of Ger Oakley when he got clattered in the opening minuet …. It was a woeful challenge that required him to leave the field for treatment. Nothing miss timed about it … all about making sure he was “put down”. Two penalty calls and not a caution between them. I thought it was a classic example of weak referring and one team with a few lads showing themselves to be a bit more streetwise in using that to their advantage. I think one of the key areas where we lost the game was not responding physically, especially if the ref was going to let some stuff go. It’s pointless to pick up a yellow for handbags after the ref has blown up for a free. Hit them hard and late for your yellow and then play your game away with a bit of discipline not to get a second. There was no hope of any player getting a straight red for an over physical challenge last Saturday and we did not adapt to take advantage of this. Our half forwards came off second best physically and none of the Wexford half backs were “put down” while in possession in the same way Ger was early doors. Personally I prefer the rules used during the NHL but if the gloves are off then we have to adapt.
Efan :)

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Efan wrote:I was wondering as I headed back from Wexford Park last Saturday would we have been better served by the application of the rules used during the NHL as opposed to the “traditional” rules used last Saturday. Wexford set out to knock us out of our hurling stride and press home their physical advantage. I was sitting in front of Ger Oakley when he got clattered in the opening minuet …. It was a woeful challenge that required him to leave the field for treatment. Nothing miss timed about it … all about making sure he was “put down”. Two penalty calls and not a caution between them. I thought it was a classic example of weak referring and one team with a few lads showing themselves to be a bit more streetwise in using that to their advantage. I think one of the key areas where we lost the game was not responding physically, especially if the ref was going to let some stuff go. It’s pointless to pick up a yellow for handbags after the ref has blown up for a free. Hit them hard and late for your yellow and then play your game away with a bit of discipline not to get a second. There was no hope of any player getting a straight red for an over physical challenge last Saturday and we did not adapt to take advantage of this. Our half forwards came off second best physically and none of the Wexford half backs were “put down” while in possession in the same way Ger was early doors. Personally I prefer the rules used during the NHL but if the gloves are off then we have to adapt.
I agree fully with you.

Usually the only way you'll get a straight red in hurling is to blatantly strike off the ball on a player that isn't expecting it, throw a punch, or do something completely loony. The hit that Oakley got would cause plenty of fuss on the Sunday Game if it happened in a football match. It was a frontal charge with the arm lifted at the last second to connect with his cheekbone.

It laid down a marker though and Offaly didn't put in any big hits to respond.
The fouls Offaly committed were petty fouls. Mostly dragging back the Wexford man with the ball.
And that isn't meant as a slight on Wexford. If Offaly had physically outmaneuvered them out of it within the parameters set by the ref, I'd equally say it was their own fault.

It however shows that Offaly still lack the cuteness required at this level. There is plenty of scope to hit hard and bit late and stay on the field. While it doesn't draw heavy sanction, it is a legitimate way of gaining advantage.
Brian Cody copped this from the off and fair play to him. If a Kilkenny player was taken out like Oakley was, you'd be expecting someone to be bounced off the deck soon after.

There is a balance to it too. I've sometimes seen a fella take a belt and spend the next 20 minutes itching for revenge, not concentrating on his own game and more interested in the slightest opening to hit back.
You need to have it in the back of your mind, rather than being the only thing on your mind.

As you mentioned, too often the Offaly reaction is instant and right in front of the ref. For example the Brendan Murphy yellow card came from him lashing out in frustration having gotten what looked to me to be a sneaky forearm from Doc O'Connor to the face. Its probably hard to keep your cool when the game is going against you though.

This Year's Model
Junior B

Post by This Year's Model »

The ref and linesman bottled it, plain and simple. Waters' "challenge" on Oakley was as straight a straight red card as you'll see. It just goes to show the sheer insanity of the NHL experiment. Now refs are completely in the dark about what they should or shouldn't do. In the League he would prob have given yellow, Waters would have gotten the line, Wex sent on a replacement, and the game would have continued fairly even. Donal O'Grady's description of it was a disgrace, saying that there wasn't much in it ....

I thought it was a really significant moment in the game overall. Obviously it turned out to be a key moment for Wexford because they got away with it, but I've seen those red cards given in games and then you would seriously question the stupidity of the player or the manager that sent him out to do it ....

Bonnar was on the Tipp team that bullied Wexford (targeting Rory McCarthy) out of the championship in the AI semi-final in '97 (and good luck to them), so I'm pretty sure it was pre-conceived on Saturday night. The fact that they went for Oakley, the hardest man and one of the stalwarts of the OY team was no accident either. It probably made a few of the Offaly lads a bit nervous for the rest of the hour.

Anyway, that's Championship hurling I suppose. I'm not condoning it or criticising it outright. I'm just pointing out that it was a serious gamble, on the ref, the time of the game, and the home venue, and it paid off. The outcome on the night could have been oh so different if it hadn't ....

.. And I wouldn't be recommending this approach against the Cats!!!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Only getting to post a cúpla focal now.

In short it was a tale of two puckouts and a full back.

Offaly’s half forward line won hardly any of their own puckouts. In addition, that line played too far up the field, on the opposition ‘45’ when they should have been nearer the ‘65’. This left it too easy for Wexford to smother the Offaly attack.

Derek Molloy would have been Offaly’s main ball-winner in this sector, but he was distracted fighting battles. I’d say he was taken off before he was put off. Ball-winning in attack remains a major issue. Offaly’s technique in the tackle let them down, as too often they were inclined to tackle with their free arm.

Any space Offaly made in attack came from the supply of ball from the defence. The interesting thing is that during Offaly’s purple patch in the last quarter, Offaly had very few puckouts of their own. Instead, it was Wexford who were pucking out, usually towards Banville’s side, almost all of which were being won by Offaly. Offaly were in control of that ‘ruck’ too which led to Lyng’s point that ended Wexford’s drought and put them four ahead again.

Also, while Wexford were clocking up the scores during the third quarter, Offaly were creating chances due to a decent supply of ball, mostly won off Wexford puckouts. The galling thing is that they had some terrible wides during that time. Even two of those would have made an awful difference in the closing stages.

With Derek Molloy, Joe Brady and Daniel Currams taken off, Brian Carroll may well have been saved by the lack of alternatives.

It’s interesting that only nine different personnel started in the Offaly attack during the league. Bergin, Dooley, Currams and Molloy started each of the eight matches while Brian Carroll missed just one, the refixed Carlow match owing to his Fitzgibbon Cup duties. Otherwise, Cathal Parlon started in 4, Joe Brady 3, James Gorman 1, while Cathal Horan started in attack against Kerry.

Tomás Waters made optimum use of that unwritten rule that you’ll get away with anything during the first five minutes of a match.

David Kenny’s lack of sharpness really told. He’s now troubled by that injury since early March, and though he read the delivery well and was usually out first, his first touch let him down. Indeed, Wexford hit some terrible ball into the space in the left corner of the Offaly defence during the first half with Banville often trailing Kenny to the ball. I suppose a long bus journey wouldn’t suit a fella with a niggly hamstring either.

In fairness, Kenny did settle better in the second half, where at least he hadn’t to deal with Banville. To James Rigney’s credit, the lad did very well against Banville, and it was the moving of Banville back to the edge of the square which eventually decided the issue. The winning goal really had its genesis in a free given away as a result of a lazy Carroll tackle with Offaly on the attack.

The difference for Wexford this year is that they have added a few big fellas like Shore, Waters and Banville. For a few years there, they had a forward line of 5’9”ers.

In recent years cackhanders have been making drives to take over the hurling world. That effort took a hammering last Saturday with the penalty efforts of Dooley and Carroll. Dooley was standing still when he struck the ball, though at least he kept it away from Fitzhenry. Cackhanders can’t get enough power in the shot. Period. To be fair, Dooley did score two fine points off his right during the first half.

All is on hold until the draw for the qualifiers is known. Obviously the attack will need to be bolstered. Rory Hanniffy would provide an extra option in the air, as well as a scoring threat. They could do worse than move him to centre half forward, with Kevin Brady reverting to defence. James Rigney is good enough in the air not to require the helping hand of a 6’3” midfielder. They should also take a chance on Cathal Parlon in attack too.

Finally, Wexford Park is a fine venue and it’s a pity it is so underused, mainly owing to its location obviously. Wexford were generous hosts, even to the point of playing ‘the Rover’ over the public address on two occasions! The official programme was top notch too, 64 pages (of which only 15 were ads) with some quality articles to read. Laois gaels should take note.

The whole month of June and only one match to go to. What are we going to do ?!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Plain of the Herbs wrote:In recent years cackhanders have been making drives to take over the hurling world. That effort took a hammering last Saturday with the penalty efforts of Dooley and Carroll. Dooley was standing still when he struck the ball, though at least he kept it away from Fitzhenry. Cackhanders can’t get enough power in the shot.
While we are out to get cackhanders, did you see Brendan Cummins' penalty "save" on Sunday?
More proof that cackhanded goalkeepers take a fraction of a second longer to adjust their stick for any shoulder height shot.
For all the great diving saves Cummins has made in his career, he has let in too many dribbly ones that close to his body, but on the wrong side of him.

the rat
All Star

Post by the rat »

It was good to see the shark back in action at the match, havent seen it for quite awhile..

I also like the uibh fhaili.com flag, hopefully we will see the shark more than once more this summer....

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Only getting to post a cúpla focal now.

In short it was a tale of two puckouts and a full back.

Offaly’s half forward line won hardly any of their own puckouts. In addition, that line played too far up the field, on the opposition ‘45’ when they should have been nearer the ‘65’. This left it too easy for Wexford to smother the Offaly attack.

Derek Molloy would have been Offaly’s main ball-winner in this sector, but he was distracted fighting battles. I’d say he was taken off before he was put off. Ball-winning in attack remains a major issue. Offaly’s technique in the tackle let them down, as too often they were inclined to tackle with their free arm.

Any space Offaly made in attack came from the supply of ball from the defence. The interesting thing is that during Offaly’s purple patch in the last quarter, Offaly had very few puckouts of their own. Instead, it was Wexford who were pucking out, usually towards Banville’s side, almost all of which were being won by Offaly. Offaly were in control of that ‘ruck’ too which led to Lyng’s point that ended Wexford’s drought and put them four ahead again.

Also, while Wexford were clocking up the scores during the third quarter, Offaly were creating chances due to a decent supply of ball, mostly won off Wexford puckouts. The galling thing is that they had some terrible wides during that time. Even two of those would have made an awful difference in the closing stages.

With Derek Molloy, Joe Brady and Daniel Currams taken off, Brian Carroll may well have been saved by the lack of alternatives.

It’s interesting that only nine different personnel started in the Offaly attack during the league. Bergin, Dooley, Currams and Molloy started each of the eight matches while Brian Carroll missed just one, the refixed Carlow match owing to his Fitzgibbon Cup duties. Otherwise, Cathal Parlon started in 4, Joe Brady 3, James Gorman 1, while Cathal Horan started in attack against Kerry.

Tomás Waters made optimum use of that unwritten rule that you’ll get away with anything during the first five minutes of a match.

David Kenny’s lack of sharpness really told. He’s now troubled by that injury since early March, and though he read the delivery well and was usually out first, his first touch let him down. Indeed, Wexford hit some terrible ball into the space in the left corner of the Offaly defence during the first half with Banville often trailing Kenny to the ball. I suppose a long bus journey wouldn’t suit a fella with a niggly hamstring either.

In fairness, Kenny did settle better in the second half, where at least he hadn’t to deal with Banville. To James Rigney’s credit, the lad did very well against Banville, and it was the moving of Banville back to the edge of the square which eventually decided the issue. The winning goal really had its genesis in a free given away as a result of a lazy Carroll tackle with Offaly on the attack.

The difference for Wexford this year is that they have added a few big fellas like Shore, Waters and Banville. For a few years there, they had a forward line of 5’9”ers.

In recent years cackhanders have been making drives to take over the hurling world. That effort took a hammering last Saturday with the penalty efforts of Dooley and Carroll. Dooley was standing still when he struck the ball, though at least he kept it away from Fitzhenry. Cackhanders can’t get enough power in the shot. Period. To be fair, Dooley did score two fine points off his right during the first half.

All is on hold until the draw for the qualifiers is known. Obviously the attack will need to be bolstered. Rory Hanniffy would provide an extra option in the air, as well as a scoring threat. They could do worse than move him to centre half forward, with Kevin Brady reverting to defence. James Rigney is good enough in the air not to require the helping hand of a 6’3” midfielder. They should also take a chance on Cathal Parlon in attack too.

Finally, Wexford Park is a fine venue and it’s a pity it is so underused, mainly owing to its location obviously. Wexford were generous hosts, even to the point of playing ‘the Rover’ over the public address on two occasions! The official programme was top notch too, 64 pages (of which only 15 were ads) with some quality articles to read. Laois gaels should take note.

The whole month of June and only one match to go to. What are we going to do ?!

Correction in short its a tale of the success of one manager and the blatant failure of another

Offaly's half forward line won hardly any ball

Now this is hardly a revelation, it has been happening for nigh on 5 years at least. Joe Brady is the only forward along with perhaps Derek Molloy on his day that will actually win possesion, both were bad on saturday, Joe Brady is definately not fit enough and Derek Molloy isnt dependable really. So why for the love of god has the manager not brought one viable alternative ball winner into the squad. They dont have to be accurate, just good enough to compete in the air and have the cop on to throw a hand pass to Carrol / Molloy on the wings..they will take their points.

The galling thing is that they had some terrible wides during that time

Yes there were terrible wides, quiet a few by Kevin Brady...in fairness he is a wing back simple as, Rory Hanniffy was completely wasted all game at wing back should have been started in midfield, or at least moved there when we seen Brady was working out there.

David Kenny’s lack of sharpness really told

Perhaps, but again the managers decision to start him, and allow Banville to destroy him twice, with Rigney getting destroyed in the intervening period. Why not move Ger Oakley to full back after the first goal to compete with Banville physically?? Diarmuid Horan could have deputised at wing back with Rory Hanniffy moving into the centre...how he looked at david kenny all game is ridiculous (im not saying anything bad about kenny, if he was injured he shouldnt have been chanced) No Im sorry this was a fatal mistake on joe dooleys part

On the other hand, Wexford used their physicality to the limit and beyond, Banville was pretty much their ONLY scoring threat...isnt that a shocking verdict on this match..that we let one man essentially beat us.

So on to the qualifiers we go, and if this offaly team has thought us anything, you can expect a dead lifeless runout against the good teams whom we should be competing against but we just dont have the belief to. When will this Offaly team (forwards especially) actually start playing for the offaly jersey??!!