Offaly vs Wexford - Leinster Championship 30/05/2009

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offalys Future
All Star

Re: Offaly vs Wexford - Leinster Championship 30/05/2009

Post by Offalys Future »

durra1 wrote:Read and consider before you leap draw your own conclusions.

’Starting 15’ is what it is – any of the 15 positions on the field.

Kenny has been outstanding for us at wing back and at 3.

So shall we compromise and say ‘wherever the honourable Mr. Cody would see fit to start him’
just can't get over ths sorry.
well he never hurled corner back so you can take away those two positions.
Noel Hickey is a better full back.
Both Brian Hogan and John Tennyson are better centre backs.
So its 2 half back positions. And he isnt a better hurler than Tommy Walsh and JJ Delaney.

He is a good hurler but i think lads have to be realistic at this stage of what level he really is at.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Offalys Future wrote: Noel Hickey is a better full back.
So its 2 half back positions. And he isnt a better hurler than Tommy Walsh and JJ Delaney.

He is a good hurler but i think lads have to be realistic at this stage of what level he really is at.
I would agree that Hickey is a better full back, however it's not really a slight on Kenny to say that he's not as good as the best full back to play the game for the last twenty years.

Likewise Tommy Walsh and JJ Delaney are former hurlers of the year (I think Tommy won it once didn't he??) so again it's no slight to say that you wouldn't pick him over them - but I will say that he'd have a good chance of getting selected over Hogan or Tennyson. Maybe a tough call, but it's not clear cut either way for sure.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Some thoughts on Offaly v Wexford -

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: While they have a litany of injuries that have been much heralded, only Stephen Nolan has been lost to them since the league final, resulting in a rearranged halfback line and midfield.
This might explain why Stephen Nolan picked up his groin injury!
http://www.kamalifestyles.com/

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

Just a quick one lads and probably a bit late for those that have done their previews of the game but the forwards are expected to line out as follows:
Carroll, Brady & Molloy
Dooley, Currams & Bergin.

Not sure who's in what corner but it's supposedly Currams to start at 14 and Carroll on free-taking duty.

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

Over The Black Spot wrote:Just a quick one lads and probably a bit late for those that have done their previews of the game but the forwards are expected to line out as follows:
Carroll, Brady & Molloy

Not sure who's in what corner but it's supposedly Currams to start at 14 and Carroll on free-taking duty.
Team managers must love sites like this :)

Over The Black Spot
County player

Post by Over The Black Spot »

Treasurer wrote:
Over The Black Spot wrote:Just a quick one lads and probably a bit late for those that have done their previews of the game but the forwards are expected to line out as follows:
Carroll, Brady & Molloy

It's pretty much common knowledge treasurer. Bergin and Currams is the only change and Wexford will hardly be surprised that Offaly are putting a bigger man on Travers.

As long as we win and get to stand among some gloomy looking yellowbelly faces on Saturday evening, I don't really care who plays where or scores what. We owe them big time for two defeats that should never have happened in Nowlan Park in recent years and a Leinster Final capitulation and it would also be nice to win a Leinster Championship game of real meaning for the first time in a while.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Lone Shark wrote:
Offalys Future wrote: Noel Hickey is a better full back.

I would agree that Hickey is a better full back, however it's not really a slight on Kenny to say that he's not as good as the best full back to play the game for the last twenty years.

Likewise Tommy Walsh and JJ Delaney are former hurlers of the year (I think Tommy won it once didn't he??) so again it's no slight to say that you wouldn't pick him over them - but I will say that he'd have a good chance of getting selected over Hogan or Tennyson. Maybe a tough call, but it's not clear cut either way for sure.
was never saying it was a slight on Kenny, was just making the point he wouldnt in my opinion make the kilkenny team as was mentioned.
I think in Offaly now anytime a hurler with promise comes along he is over-rated. Give the lad a chance. Too much pressure been put on our younger hurlers.

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

I would agree with OF, Kenny is a great young lad, and a good hurler. He also showed his character when he hurled in Thurles last year despite the terrible tragedy that befell his family earlier that day. If he can produce the goods tomorrow evening with the injuries he has suffered, he will further add to his CV.
What we need more guys to do is step up like he has done and emerge as leaders when we are going through a bad spell in a game. I am not interested in looking at who we might have on the Kilkenny team, which is basically a pointless exercise. We need a win in the championship against someone other than Laois(no disrespect). Wexford are in transition and have a number of players injured, a new manager getting introduced to inter county management. On the plus side for them, they have the benefit of a home game against a team they dont fear.
I am looking forward to the game, we played pretty poorly for many spells and I am expecting us to hurl with deteremination, but also a little more freedom. There was serious pressure the last day, and the fear of a repeat of the Wexford park experience during the league. That fear hopefully will be gone, replaced by the knowledge that they have a serious chance to restore some pride in the Faithful County. Limerick and Waterford performances were steping stones, now we need to drive on in our Province. Best of luck lads, and hope to see a decent Offaly crowd down there.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Interesting. Carroll on freetaking seems a seismic shift in management's thinking. Probably Dooley in the 13 corner turning infield onto his left.
Carroll, Brady & Molloy

Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Treasurer wrote:
Carroll, Brady & Molloy

They don't round about now anyway, that's for sure.

However Joe Dooley could do worse than ask himself why the hurling lineout that he tries to keep secret is common knowledge across the county by Friday every week when the footballers' tactics (such as they were) over the past few years haven't been anything like as exposed. On the one hand I can see his point, however being realistic, it's not unlike giving out at the rain when you get wet because don't build a roof. If his players/management team weren't telling people, then no-one would know. I guarantee you that if Brian Cody has a trick up his sleeve for the Leinster semi final, the first you'll see of it is on the field - it won't be broadcast on the kilkennycats forum.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

And so to the aftermath.

A grim day all round, though I suppose the thing to do is not to lose sight of the fact that if we were offered one out of the two games that we played against Wexford, the league final was the one to win, thinking long term. That said, you always want more and having proved that Wexford were beatable in the league final, it was a shame that the lads didn't make a better fist of it today.

Looking at it in hindsight, I can't understand where all the confidence in Offaly was coming from since we know that these problems are there in the forward line every time. Today Shane Dooley did moderately well, Carroll and Bergin got a few scores but generally struggled while the other three were not in the game at all. I don't like Kevin Brady at midfield, David Kenny's poor game was costly and the lack of forward alternatives on offer didn't really leave us with any chance - though Colm Coughlan and Mark Egan must really be wondering what the point of training is now if they're not going to be brought on in a game like that.

Mental strength is clearly a huge issue for this team and I'd be interested to know what Joe Dooley is doing to address this.

That said, avoid Tipp/Cork in the qualifiers and the whole season could open up yet. Uphill struggle now though.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

Lone Shark wrote:
Treasurer wrote:
Carroll, Brady & Molloy

They don't round about now anyway, that's for sure.

However Joe Dooley could do worse than ask himself why the hurling lineout that he tries to keep secret is common knowledge across the county by Friday every week when the footballers' tactics (such as they were) over the past few years haven't been anything like as exposed. On the one hand I can see his point, however being realistic, it's not unlike giving out at the rain when you get wet because don't build a roof. If his players/management team weren't telling people, then no-one would know. I guarantee you that if Brian Cody has a trick up his sleeve for the Leinster semi final, the first you'll see of it is on the field - it won't be broadcast on the kilkennycats forum.
Well when you have eegits like Kinnittyman going on anfearrua spouting every single positional change and team change it doesnt help.
And then slating our young hurlers.
Lads like this dont care about Offaly hurling they more interested in getting there post count up.
Ask them to have a proper conversation in hurling and they havent a clue. Not capable.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I disagree, in the sense that Kinnittyman is not one of the hurlers, nor is he one of the selectors, so why does he know?

This is my issue - if it gets to a situation whereby people who aren't involved in the panel know team linouts, then there is always a risk that the info will get out of the county. Even if Kinnittyman didn't put it up on anfearrua, the fact that he knows means that someone else who would be happy to inform the Wexford management knows. The battle is lost when supports like you, me or anyone else is given this info - hoping that supporters won't chat about the game is ridiculous.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

there is a big difference between chattin about a game and posting all the changes on a national forum for all to see.

My feelings would be its down to immaturity. Too many young players on squad with no experience and alot of
guys very naive.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

This is Ireland - a whisper in Mary's ear is as good as a shout from the highest hill and all that. Wexford will have done their own reconnaissance and anything they read on anfearrua, or here for that matter, would be taken with a pinch of salt unless it corroborated what they knew already.