2009 Leinster Fixtures

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
black and red exile
All Star

Re: 2009 Leinster Fixtures

Post by black and red exile »

Wexford Park. A kip. It's probably just me but no matter how early I seem to get there for a match I can never seem to find decent parking and with that big car park beside the pitch, unless you leave the match early you will be caught up in the match traffic and end up half the night trying to get out. It's a ground that is a bit of a graveyard for various Offaly teams over the last few years apart from our minor footballers last summer. There will be a huge local crowd there to roar on the home team and our lads are going to have to repeat or better a 12/07/08 Gaelic grounds performance to come away victorious. Hopefully with the weekend that's in it we get a big faithful support down there to roar on the lads in what will be a big indicator to where the hurlers are going this year.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Well I have the hotel booked and all for the saturday night. Hopefully we can bring a large support and get the Leinster Championship off to a good start. It's something to look forward to anyways.

Johnno81
County player

Post by Johnno81 »

Have been there twice, qualifier defeat to wexford in the football in 04 and last years minor semi final. Its a fine set up down there bar the parking as it seems to be in the middle of housing estates. This is an important match for us as we need to keep our momentum going from last year and I for one will be down there in June shouting my heart out for the lads. :P

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Getting to Wexford

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

What seems to be the best way to get to Wexford? There are two alternate routes to Wexford from west/south Offaly, via Kilkenny & New Ross, or via Carlow & Bunclody. Both seem much of a much distancewise. I'm leaning towords the Kilkenny route at the moment, because I have a fair idea of the way and I reckon there will be a greater Wexford crowd approaching Wexford from the north of the county than the south-west. Any thoughts from previous experience?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Definitley the best way to go is down to Kilkenny. I went that way for the league match and you can now avoid the city with the new by-bass. Upon aproaching Kilkenny take a right at the first big roundabout you meet and just follow the signs on all the next roundabouts for Waterford and eventually you will reach one for Wexford. New Ross is also by passed aswell so you can avoid that. I made it in 2 and a quarter hours from Kinnitty for the league match. Lovely spin down too.

Just wondering if many people are staying down for the Saturday night or will I be flying the tricolour solo around 2am in the square?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Cheers Kman. I'll be doing a day trip meself. Could be hard-pressed to make it home for 'last orders' though :?
kinnittyman wrote:Definitley the best way to go is down to Kilkenny. I went that way for the league match and you can now avoid the city with the new by-bass. Upon aproaching Kilkenny take a right at the first big roundabout you meet and just follow the signs on all the next roundabouts for Waterford and eventually you will reach one for Wexford. New Ross is also by passed aswell so you can avoid that. I made it in 2 and a quarter hours from Kinnitty for the league match. Lovely spin down too.

Just wondering if many people are staying down for the Saturday night or will I be flying the tricolour solo around 2am in the square?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

kinnittyman wrote:Definitley the best way to go is down to Kilkenny. I went that way for the league match and you can now avoid the city with the new by-bass. Upon aproaching Kilkenny take a right at the first big roundabout you meet and just follow the signs on all the next roundabouts for Waterford and eventually you will reach one for Wexford. New Ross is also by passed aswell so you can avoid that. I made it in 2 and a quarter hours from Kinnitty for the league match. Lovely spin down too.

That first round about is a left just to let ye know. Mind you, you can't really go right so I'm sure you would have figured that out for yourselves!
The night is darkest before the dawn

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Had just logged on to make that exact point. My mistake. Apologies.

Loughers
All Star

Post by Loughers »

kinnittyman, I would have loved to sing the Rover with you after the nightclub, but the hotels are acting the b0llix down there. Most want you to book for 2 nights and the ones that don't are charging through the roof. I can't afford that in my present situation.
Esto Fidelis

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Prices look sky high for Saturday night.
Turning the car for home after the match looks the best option.