Kildare vs Offaly - 2009 Football Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Re: Kildare vs Offaly - 2009 Football Championship

Post by red exile »

the kildare forum consists of nothing but a disrespectful and pompous shower of suburban jackeens. they will win nothing anyway.they say we keep on about the our last all ireland, victory, at least most of us remember it, BUT IS ANYONE STILL ALIVE THAT REMEMBERS 1928 .i doubt it.

ironmike
Junior C

Post by ironmike »

I see lads here talking about neville coughlan playing in the half forward line. I can’t understand neville playing in the forwards. He is a strong player and has speed and should be playing in the backline. Anytime I saw him play for Samrocks he plays center back. I have not seen him play last year at all. Center back is a major problem and I would put him there, he has not got the skill to catch a ball turn a player show a few dummies and kicks the ball over the bar. He would be better running onto the ball rather than taken the ball trying to turn. As i said he a strong player and would stop allot of play coming down the middle. I don’t know how fit he is but a fully fit neville couglan playing in the back would be more benifit to this team. Anyway what ever teams goes out best of luck to the lads on Sunday.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Silken Thomas wrote: Offaly will be quietly confident though since we have tamed them in the last two championship meetings and both times it was quite comfortable. The 2004 qualifier in Tullamore saw some wonderful football by Offaly before a shocking collapse. It’s interesting to remember that day an aging James Grennan and out of position McManus had the upper hand on Killian ‘Neanderthal’ Brennan and Dermot Earley!. 2005 saw three Offaly goals which was more than enough to take care of a Kildare team reduced to including John Divilly.
Silken Thomas wrote:
Sorry to break up the lovefest too but Willie Heffernan will be lucky to make an appearance and will really surprise me if he starts so that's one less giant to worry about!!

ST
You seem to be forgetting that the shocking collapse in the second half of the Newbridge match in 2004 directly coincided with Kildare's introduction of Heffernan! He cleaned out all round him destroying everyone that was put in on him!!!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Its very easy to get caught up in the build up to a big game like this and reading the comments it appears most think we will win. Yes we have a chance of winning but its time to look at the facts here:

1. Kildare almost got up to D1 this year and had a great league.
2. We were scrapping it out on the last day trying to avoid the drop to D4.
3. Kildare were unbeaten in 4 away league games beating Leix by 7, Monaghan by 3, Fermanagh by 5 and a draw with Meath.
4. In complete contrast we have been in dire form away from Tullamore losing our 3 away games by 9,8 and 11 to Ross, Tipp and Down.
5. Not sure what our midfield pairing will be but regardless they will win no more than 40% of ball.
6. Our captain is having a diabolical season.....and may well be part of that combination mentioned in #5.
7. Our likely full back in Evans has been tried to death in the #3 slot and cannot string a couple of decent performances together.....he is neither a man marker or comanding full back. People will argue he played well in this odd game or that but the law of averages suggest that if a fells is left there long enough he'll surely throw up a half decent game here or there. We will be destroyed if he starts there.
8. What Deehan and Reynolds will turn up? The lads that will fight for every ball or the lads that cant be arsed (frankly we've seen too much of the latter from them both).
9. If we are to win we will without doubt need a big one from Niall Mc. Hasnt been himself since oz but is slowly getting there.

Look I hope we win this but we really need to be aware of the above........although the fact its championship will even things somewhat....the overall signs are not great.

imahick
Junior C

Post by imahick »

I've caught myself a bigun

We sure did!!! :D :D :D

faithful till I die
Senior

Post by faithful till I die »

Ha Ha you have to laugh at those Kildare boys they are hilarious,
They are trying to slag us off by stating we are red necks & hillbillies !! Has anyone ever been in Allenwood or the the metropolis of Prosperous. Believe me if you want to talk about inbred check out those freaks that live around the Curragh, its like something from The Hills have eyes, a radioactive disaster. If any of ye sad losers are reading this yeah we might be bog men but at least we know who we are & we have a tradition to be proud of. Whats really sad about Kildare people is that with the invasion of Dubs they have completely lost their identity. They are neither a rural county or an urban one they are just sad Dublin want to be flourbag failures. I dont mind the slagging that goes on between counties before games that is half the fun but when a county like kildare dont even have the imagination to come up with any original insults of their own. All they are doing is repeating all the insults the Dubs have been labelling them with for years. Yeah they are favourites for Sunday but being the underdog is a role that suits Offaly very well. Only time will tell if Kildare can handle the tags of being favourites.
Offaly awoke never more to sleep.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

For god sake lads we are worse for even talking about those dead brains on that mickey mouse Kildare board. Look it I am living here in the heart of lillyland and I can tell ye that talking to real Kildare supporters over the last week or so, they are very nervous about this game on Sunday. One former KIldare manager of recent years told me that in his experience of taking on Offaly over the years as a player and manager that recent form goes out the window and which ever team has the most hunger on the day will win it. LET'S HOPE OUR LADS ARE STARVING ON SUNDAY :D

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I don't necessarily think it's the case that most people think we will win - it's just that simply Kildare do not inspire fear, never have, never will and while on paper we have a bit of catching up to do, most people seem happy that we are making progress under Cribben and I think that while we have some glaring weaknesses, so do they and whichever team manages those weaknesses best will win out on Sunday. If we were even money to win I wouldn't be betting on us - but at 5/6 plus four points, I have put my money down. I may turn out to be wrong, but I do this for a living and I don't put money on for nothing. Put it another way - much and all as I'd love to say otherwise, I won't be backing our hurlers next weekend unless they are at least as big a price, which they won't be.
bracknaghboy wrote: 1. Kildare almost got up to D1 this year and had a great league.
True, but we saw last week that league form is not always the be all and end all. Having said that, it's definitely one aspect where Dublin West hold the advantage./b]

2. We were scrapping it out on the last day trying to avoid the drop to D4.
We had to do a lot of repair work after the hatchet job that Richie Connor did on the team, on morale and everything else. We dug out a few big wins, got caught on the hop in Tipperary after doing a big training session that morning and struggled under the lights in Newry - as we always do under lights. I'm not as worried by this aspect at all.

3. Kildare were unbeaten in 4 away league games beating Leix by 7, Monaghan by 3, Fermanagh by 5 and a draw with Meath.
4. In complete contrast we have been in dire form away from Tullamore losing our 3 away games by 9,8 and 11 to Ross, Tipp and Down.
You have to look at the league as a whole, and we have done that above. Home or away is not hugely relevant really.

5. Not sure what our midfield pairing will be but regardless they will win no more than 40% of ball.
Granted. But that's as it always was - they held the advantage in this sector in 2004 and 2006 too. When Kildare meet Offaly, they will have more brawn and we will have more brain - I've never known it any other way.

6. Our captain is having a diabolical season.....and may well be part of that combination mentioned in #5.
Agreed. However he must be showing something in training and in the challenge games if he's to be picked. He owes us a big one now and I'd say he knows he's on the brink of losing his place too.

7. Our likely full back in Evans has been tried to death in the #3 slot and cannot string a couple of decent performances together.....he is neither a man marker or comanding full back. People will argue he played well in this odd game or that but the law of averages suggest that if a fells is left there long enough he'll surely throw up a half decent game here or there. We will be destroyed if he starts there.
Your thoughts on Evans are long on the record, however this man runs on good old fashioned bloody mindedness and I love the depth of disgust he has for Kildare. I think he'll do well here, plus the yellow card system of the league didn't suit him. Secondly, Kildare's struggles to find a full back are such that if Evans was from just a few miles east in Carbury or Johnstownbridge, I guarantee you he'd be starting for them on Sunday. I rate Evans and always have, but even those who don't would have to acknowledge that in the absence of Kevin O'Neill, he'll be the best full back of the 60 players that will tog out for this game.

8. What Deehan and Reynolds will turn up? The lads that will fight for every ball or the lads that cant be arsed (frankly we've seen too much of the latter from them both).
Whatever else you could say about either of these lads, can't be arsed is not an accusation I'd level at them. Reynolds tries his absolute guts out but he ain't a long range kicker and he's not physically strong enough to check opposition runners coming out of defence. I don't think he's among the elite inside forwards in Leinster but he is an intercounty standard inside man in my book and when played at 13, 14, or 15, he'll do a good job for you. He always offers himself as an option and never stops trying - that's all I would ever ask. His lack of size or blistering pace is not really his fault. As for Deehan, well his confidence was on the floor in 2007 and 2008, but he's getting back to himself and if he goes into this game looking forward to taking on his man, I think he can play a big part. Again, give me a choice of Tommo or Alan Smith and Deehan is my man.

9. If we are to win we will without doubt need a big one from Niall Mc. Hasnt been himself since oz but is slowly getting there.
He does seem to be on form recently, so hopefully. I'm getting worried about the likely team though - the grim spectre of Niall Mc on freetaking duty appears to be looming once more.

Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bull thick biffo
Junior C

Post by bull thick biffo »

how yez lads..just joined :lol:

look in for ward to the game.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

bull thick biffo wrote:how yez lads..just joined :lol:

ahem...is he one of the others????? :roll:
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

bull thick biffo
Junior C

Post by bull thick biffo »

Archangel wrote:
bull thick biffo wrote:how yez lads..just joined :lol:

ahem...is he one of the others????? :roll:
Not very fair.....I have supported Offaly all my life....flag days....trocaire...RSPCA....

and more.... :roll:

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

bull thick biffo wrote:
Not very fair.....I have supported Offaly all my life....flag days....trocaire...RSPCA....

and more.... :roll:
:lol: Fair play so..... :wink:
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Need to consider the source, but...

Just saw this: http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=111845

Anyone know what the deal is?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

The Tribune specualted as to the make up of the team and Hogan Stand has essentially run with that - I don't think it's any great investigative journalism on their part certainly. As for whether or not it's likely, well obviously McManus has been missing training etc. due to his current location so it's understandable that his place would come under threat in that situation. This is a new manager working with new tactics and set piece plays, McManus is obviously at a disadvantage since he can't spend the same time learning everything.

I'll still be amazed if he doesn't play some part on Sunday all that said. I can't imagine things being so comfortable that we don't have to call on him.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

uibhfhailiabu
County player

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

Taken from Offaly GAA Website:

Offaly Senior Football Team To Play Kildare Announced
21/05/2009

Uíbh Fhailí (Offaly) v Kildare Leinster SFC Sunday, 24/5/2009.

1. Alan Mulhall, Walsh Island

2. Stephen Lonergan, Birr

3. Conor Evans, St Oliver Plunkett’s/ Eoghan Ruadh

4. Brian Darby, Rhode

5. Matthew Mitchell, Clara

6. Richie Dalton, Edenderry

7. Karol Slattery, Gracefield

8. Niall Smith, Gracefield

9. Conor Carroll, Raheen

10. Sean Ryan, Birr

11. Niall McNamee, Rhode

12. Ken Casey, St Brigid’s

13. Thomas Deehan, Clara

14. John Reynolds, Clara

15. William Mulhall, Walsh Island

Substitutes:

16. Padraic Kelly, Shamrocks

17. Alan McNamee, Rhode

18. Brian Connor, Walsh Island

19. Ciarán McManus, Tubber

20. Daniel Hales, Gracefield

21. David Egan, St Brigid’s

22. Ger Rafferty, St Rynagh’s

23. James Coughlan, Doon

24. Joe Quinn, Clara

25. Neville Coughlan, Shamrocks

26. Niall Darby, Rhode

27. Paul McConway, Tullamore

28. Rory Guinan, Ballycumber

29. Shane Sullivan, Rhode

Management: Tom Cribbin (Manager), Dermot Dunne, Vinny Claffey.

Disappointed to see nialler on the '40', hopefully he wont start there...
Keep The Faith