Text Alerts

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Text Alerts

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

I have to say it is a pity the Offaly Express are no longer continuing with their text alerts. Anyway I was thinking it might be possible that we have a text service for uibhfhaili.com members. If anyone is at a coubty match they could text score to a central number and the a group text could be sent out.

The Magpie
All Star

Re: Text Alerts

Post by The Magpie »

Good idea SBM, but the issue of cost could be the problem.

Who (and how) will pay for this service? The last time I looked at SMS servers, there were a few that would allow (x) free texts, but eventually they want to charge you!

Billing is either based on the number of texts, or how long you subscribe for.

Assuming that 50 people subscribe to the service and you need to send 30 SMS over the course of the summer, we'd need to pay for 1,500 SMS.

Or, if it's billed on a weekly basis, we'd need to subscribe to such a service for about 24 Weeks.

I'm guessing it could cost around 100 euro. But that's just a guess.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

If you have a free texts plan, can you send to as many as you wish for free?

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

I have a free text plan where all texts are free. I use it for a hurling team I'm in charge of. However I don't know if I'd want to be in charge of this group text as well. I wouldn't mind sharing the responsibility with someone else if they have the free text plan as well.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

beirut wrote:If you have a free texts plan, can you send to as many as you wish for free?
You could. I assumed that yee were looking for an automated service?

Of course, if somebody wants to manually enter a load of phone numbers and send a text from their own phone, that can be done!
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

beirut
All Star

Post by beirut »

here's an idea...

1. Appoint 2 posters from each club
2. These posters would text the fixtures/results/postponments of their club to a central number
3. The person with the central number would then be able to update the uibhfhaili website say after a certain time each day etc...

Would need some way of updating the uibhfhaili website. Maybe a alot of work for one person but would be a great service, covering all of Offaly...

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Seems like a lot of work, could we not post results here, surely most games would be covered?