Wexford v Offaly, NHL, 5/4/09

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Wexford v Offaly, NHL, 5/4/09

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Writing in today’s (Saturday’) Irish Independent, Martin Breheny lists twenry things the NFL has taught us so far this season. If only Offaly hurling folk, hurlers, management and observers could have learned anything remotely like twenty things about the team during the course of the current league, we’d be doing OK.

It’s been a dreary league so far, nothing to get even remotely excited about, no real test for the team, in fact, no test at all. Sunday, then, couldn’t have come fast enough, and I’d say rarely has a trip to Wexford been greeted so eagerly.

A first real test for the two newcomers, Stephen Wynne and James Rigney. Wynne has established himself at corner back, but tomorrow will face a really mobile forward line. How he fares on Rory Jacob will be eagerly watched.

Rigney’s previous serious test, against Dublin in the Walsh Cup, didn’t go well as he struggled against the Dubs’ handpassing game. The Kinnittyman did well against Laois, finding space between midfield, centre back and wing back. That space won’t be there tomorrow, so a serious test awaits.

Ger Oakley is an interesting choice to fill in at full back following David Kenny’s hamstring injury, given the alternatives. They could have introduced Brendan O’Meara in a straight swap, or moved Paul Cleary from the wing to full back.

Oakley has been hurling well at centre half back, charging forward and either striking or passing, but usually taking the right option. He has, of course, hurled there before, but I feel this move will upset the dynamic of the half back line of Brady, Oakley and Cleary. If Oakley is to be centre half back on the June bank holiday weekend, it only makes sense for him to remain there.

Cathal Horan was introduced at centre half back the last day following Kenny’s withdrawal, and I felt he didn’t do well given that he was coming in to a team who were well on top. Horan had a good league in 2007 before injury ruled him out of the championship. He has a good chance to stake a claim to a place, at least for the remainder of the league. Either way, The Brady, Horan, Cleary halfback line should come out on top in the air.

Brian Carroll was a surprise choice at centre half forward against Laois, though he did well, and stopped Matthew Whelan from hurling. He might do well on Stephen Nolan too. Shane Dooley has been improving in open play, but faces a serious test from David O’Connor, selected at full back.

O’Connor is good in the air, and is by far the tallest of the Wexford defence. Dooley will need the ball played in front of him of he is to escape the clutches of the Wexford doctor.

A last chance for Cathal Parlon to prove himself, too, especially with Brendan Murphy set to return. Parlon works hard though should be scoring more, and lacks the confidence in front of goal. Derek Molloy should trouble Jacob in the air, and Joseph Bergin can lay down a marker if he can take Darren Stamp for a few scores.

One time the main proponents of the ‘jennett express’ of soloing down blind alleys, Wexford have been forced to change their hurling style this decade, as they have one of the smallest (in height) squads in the country.

They have combated this by going for a mobile attack, where their weaving in and out yielded enough scoring chances to overcome Waterford last summer, a match they should have won. Indeed, they are probably the last team to ‘bamboozle’ Kilkenny, that being in the 2004 Leinster semi-final.

They have not been in good form so far this year, and defeat to Antrim raised a few eyebrows. It was their narrow scrape at home to Westmeath that made people sit upright though. That may well have been as a result of a bout of heavy training, or it may also be due to a Munster manager not understanding the Leinster ‘psyche’ when it comes to dealing with so-called weaker counties. It may also be as a result of Wexford not dominating possession enough and allowing the opposition dictate the pace of the game.

Having the match in Wexford Park will provide a dry-run for the Championship visit to the South East in May. Not just to hurl Wexford, but to assess travelling and meal times, visualising the surroundings, the effect of winds, the length and width of the pitch and footwear issues.

All stuff that’s well rehearsed for trips to venues such as Thurles, Kilkenny, even Parnell Park at this stage, but Wexford Park remains off Offaly’s beaten track to date.

It’s only Offaly’s fourth visit to the venue for a league match. Offaly drew there in 1987, their only result in a year of relegation, but won by two points in the final round in 1995 which saw them into the quarter finals.

Wexford have won the two NHL meetings since the ground’s redevelopment. The first in 2003, by a big margin over a severely depleted Offaly team; the last two years ago when Joseph Bergin sustained a nasty injury.

Offaly are the form team coming into this, with a settled looking team and the results to back it up. Wexford must win this match to keep in contention for a final place. In this case, the team with the greater need usually pulls through.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Re: Wexford v Offaly, NHL, 5/4/09

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Great analysis as ever POTH.

I, for the first time this year, am excited about an Offaly hurling match. As POTH mentioned this is the first real test of 2009 for this team. Result aside, this is an important opportunity to assess the strength in depth of the panel, something that I believe Offaly have been quite deficient in for the last number of years.

I'm hopeful of a favourable result but I must admit to agreeing with the favourites tag that Wexford have been labelled with. Home advantage allied to their need for victory should see them over the line. In addition, Wexford will be well aware of what Offaly could do to them against Antrim should they loose, this will be a situation they will be determined to avoid.

Regardless, it promises be a close game with no more than 5 points in it either way.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Very disappointing result. Conceding five goals points to serious difficulties in the full back line, as expected David Kenny was sorely missed. Without abusing hindsight, before the game I would have had slight misgivings over Ger Oakley being named at full back. Perhaps Brendan O'Meara may have been a better alternative.
However I was unable to travel so I'll wait for a report, perhaps from a fellow contributor if they can, before coming to any definite conclusion.

St. Catch
Junior C

Post by St. Catch »

Here's my first match report for this board, so forgive me if it's a little haphazard.

I went down to do some reconnaissance for the 30th of May. The Faithful supporters were thin on the ground, though not unexpected for such a long trip.

We had little to shout about apart from in the first 10 minutes when we briefly led. Once the second goal went in, they stepped it up another gear. From there on, the drive home was always going to be longer.

They had a spine of big men up the centre of the pitch and we struggled to deal with their physicality. Time and again, we were shouldered off the ball with consummate ease, much to the delight of their strawberry-pickin' fans. Their defence hunted in packs, suffocating our lads and we failed to return the compliment. They always seemed to have that extra split second on the ball and consequently used it better.

The primary fault for the goals lies with our worryingly porous full-back line, the sooner Kenny comes back the better. Three, if not four of the goals were from rebounds as far as I can recall; Breeder did as much as he could in trying circumstances.

As much as it galls me to say it :x Wexford were the better team. They wanted it so much more, given that it'd be curtains for their promotion hopes if they lost. If it weren't for a couple of late points by our boys, they'd be top of the table now.

As an aside, I have to mention Shane Dooley's luminous green boots. Is he enrolled in the Mark Vaughan School of Fashion or what? They looked like tennis balls on his feet. Perhaps he should spend less time trying to co-ordinate his match-day wardrobe and more time honing his freetaking skills.
"I can be as non-competitive as anyone. In fact, I'm the most non-competitive person there is.
So I win!" - Peter Griffin

INOFFALYIBELIEVE
Junior B

Post by INOFFALYIBELIEVE »

We set off to wexford not really knowing what to expect, we had nothing to go on, a few meaningless matches against the likes of Kerry & Carlow provided nothing more than filling a few hours on a Sunday afternoon, this was it, eventually we were going to find out where we stand in the grand scheme of things…

To be honest, we were expecting a defeat, everything pointed to it, the lack of any competitive hurling, wexford having to win, away fixture and missing probably our best player so far in Kenny, they were always going to ‘be up’ for this

Just before throw in we learned Antrim had won by six, right win this and we are in the final, lose and we have to beat or draw with Antrim ( a team that have previously defeated wexford), for the first time this year at a hurling match, that old familiar quickening of the heartbeat has come back..

Ger Oakley replaced kenny at full back( as has happened in the last few league matches) and cathal horan filled the no.6 spot, the sight of his brother Diarmuid on crutches was encouraging as his operation is done & hopefully will be back for the end of May, and oh how we need him…

The first few minutes was impressive as we settled and notched over two quick points and then carnage.. Stephen Banville operating at full forward for wexford done untold damage especially in the first half, a fair lump of a man who can hurl a bit too, he drifted off Oakley out the field and they landed ball down on top of him, generally he won them and laid them off to supporting players running off him who gladly took the gift and found the back of the net or raised another white flag, banville fired over a few points himself and another high ball into the square created more mayhem and he added his 1st and wexford’s fourth all before half time…

Breeder brought off two fine saves for the opening goals but the rebounds just fell to a wexford forward following up and they took full advantage and beat the frustrated birr man.

Oakley was replaced by Cleary at full back, who coped better but the damage was done at that stage, wholesale positional switches occurred with brady moving to midfield replacing the ineffective rigney ( who faired much better at wing back, especially in the 2nd half),

Oakley started the 2nd half at centre back with Horan switching across to the wing, Horan played better out on the wing that in the centre where the game passed him by a bit as the young wexford centre forward ( Shore dominated), in fairness Oakley’s head was gone after the nightmare opening half, and he was eventually took off, it wasn’t until Rory Hanniffy when in centre back that the ship steadied, a move which easily could have been made earlier, Brendan Murphy came in and filled hanniffy’s place at midfield.

Michael verney replaced Stephen wynne, another who will want to forget this afternoon, he was pushed off the ball far too easily and got blocked down far too much, the perils of playing Div2 hurling were abundantly evident, lads used to having all the time in the world to clear there lines and never facing two or sometimes 3 opponents attempting to block down their clearances, not singling out wynne alone here by any means as all were guilty off it.

Offaly simply had no answer to wexford’s physical strength & hunger all over the field.

Just if things weren’t bad enough, franks had to go off with a pulled hamstring and could be facing a max of a month out, hopefully it isn’t too bad and he may be back sooner. Hernon replaced him for the last few mins,

The tale of this game can be simply summed up by looking at the six backs that started, franks, Oakley, wynne, cleary, horan, brady and we finished with hernon (franks inj),cleary, verney, rigney, hanniffy, horan filling the six back positions…

Offaly scored a total of 17 points a tally that would win a lot of matches ( if you are not conceding five goals!), parlon won a lot of ball but took the wrong option on occasions running into trouble, begin started great for the first ten or fifteen minutes but made little impression after, Dooley got little change at full forward and worryingly missed a few scoreable frees as well, the green boots aren’t helping the situation, he is under enough pressure because of who he is without bringing more of it on himself with the boot selection (unless there is some medical reason behind them)..

Carroll made little impression either but looked impressive for the last ten minutes or so when moved into full forward..

Derek Molloy was the typical Derek Molloy, wholehearted display and took one huge hit in the 1st half but picked himself up and plugged away.

Currams took the opening score of the game well but was forced to come out around midfield to try and get offaly a foothold in the game in the 1st half as we were getting completely overrun in that sector, he also made way in the second half as joe brady was brought in…

A lot more questions than answers resulted from this performance, the lack of any real matches before this was never more highlighted that this game, we have to get out of this division at all costs if we are ever to progress,

The one positive is we have another chance, all is not lost, starting with Antrim in two weeks, this will be a very competitive encounter as Antrim travel knowing a win will put them in the final, and having beaten Offaly last year in Casement in the Walsh cup and beaten wexford in the league they will come in confidence..

Realistically we should have enough to overcome them in O’Connor park and set up another meeting with wexford where hopefully with learning from yesterdays encounter a much better performance and result will prevail…

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Its better to learn these lessons now rather than in championship. It would be worse of Wexford scored 29 points instead of 5-14. I know its easy to say, but you can cut down on goal concessions easier than trying to cut down on the root cause of 3 points being scored against you.

I think David Kenny would be able for Banville for starters. Some of the others players will be given a reminder to up the tempo. Wexford have already gotten their boot in the arse by losing to Antrim.
Offaly will hopefully get the same after yesterday!

Was there much of a cheer when the Cork Kilkenny score was announced?

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

This is further proof if any is needed that we must get out of D2 this year. We have had 5 games against rubbush opposition and then when confronted with a team with a few quick forwards and players throughlout the rest of the park that dont fall over the ball we are thrashed and concede 5 goals. If we were playing in D1 this year and played that Wexford team yesturday we would have beaten them. The league final this year (if we get there) is our All-Ireland Final. Anything that takes place in the championship is a bonus.
Antrim are useless and highly unpredicable but for some reason they are able to cause these minor shocks here and there (except in championship) and I just hope we dont get caught out.
Finally to Shane Dooleys boots.....I have to wonder what would go through a young mans head that would make him want to wear boots this colour. It can only be for attention but it will only put pressure on him in championship games. Let the hurley do the talking he doesn't need flashy boots.........why stop there, why not wear a pink helmot and maybe paint the hurley stick blue??

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

By all accounts it seems that the team needed this game to make themselves aware of what cobwebs lurked within the system. You'd like to think that this will be a bit of a reminder as well in terms of how incredibly important it is to get out of this division this year.

The lack of certainty about the centre back position is somewhat worrying though. Whatever about corner forwards or a midfield slot for the championship still being up for grabs, 3 and 6 are two jerseys that you'd really like to know who'll be filling. Obviously Kenny's return should plug the hole on the edge of the square to a reasonable degree, but Andrew Shore doing damage at centre forward is very worrying. Seeing as I didn't get to make the trip down, I won't speculate as to who the front runner is, but right now it seems like Hanniffy, Oakley, Cleary and possibly even Brady and Horan are in contention to play there - that simply seems like too many to me.

Incidentally, Mike McNamara's remarks after Clare's relegation was confirmed were fairly interesting - "we've no notion of playing division two hurling next year" and the like.

Maybe we should have thought of that.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Incidentally, Mike McNamara's remarks after Clare's relegation was confirmed were fairly interesting - "we've no notion of playing division two hurling next year" and the like.

Maybe we should have thought of that.
Good ol Mike Mc... hurlings most unapproachable ignorant man by a long shot. Well if thats Clares attitude then they are finished because no 'delevopment side' of Clare would get out of D2. Remember either Offaly or Wexford will still be there next year and you dont want to be sending 'development' teams up to places like Casement Park. They will NOT gain enough through challenge matches alone (these games tend to be crazy affairs with 3-29 to 4-26 scorelines....totally unrealistic and the games are too loose. The only way forward is to be in D1 (there are no weak teams there anymore so you are assured of 7 good games), I dont care about wexford or the repulsive bitter Mike Mc and his declining Clare side, I know that for Offaly to move forward D1 is a must.

As for Offaly lining out a development side?????? Well we'd be in 4th or 5th place with 6pts at this stage....its out of the question.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

I previously mentioned this months ago, but no, no, to Hanniffy at centre back. He's a brilliant midfielder and a brilliant hurler but utterly wasted at centre back. Indeed as a centre back he is good without ever being eye catching. His natural instinct as a player is always to move forward, to attack and he is by some distance the quickest player on the Offaly starting 15. At midfield the team gets the best of both his defensive and offensive attributes and to play him anywhere else invites disaster as Birr found to their peril against Ballyhale.
If not Oakley then somebody else must be found. Brendan O'Meara anyone?

If Kilkenny were missing their best 6 centre backs and another 10 backs(for good measure) on top of that through injury would they play James 'Cha' Fitzpatrick at centre back? The answer is no, never, for midfield is his domain plain and simple and Cody would find another solution. Offaly must do the same.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

bracknaghboy wrote: As for Offaly lining out a development side?????? Well we'd be in 4th or 5th place with 6pts at this stage....its out of the question.
I was actually more making the somewhat tongue in cheek suggestion that perhaps we should have thoughts of stamping our feet, putting our fingers in our ears and going "NO" in a toddler esque fashion, rather than fielding a development squad.

I'd say if Mike Mac genuinely thinks that he'd have no interest in competing properly in division two and getting back up to the top flight, then he might find that the Clare county board have different ideas and could choose to act on his disinterest.

As regards Hanniffy at centre back, I'd prefer to leave him at midfield too, but the issue remains that centre back is crucial and a clear and commanding presence is needed there. Now Oakley might yet be the man since his difficulties yesterday were at full back, but if Joe Dooley plans on lining out Ger Oakley at six, then he'd hardly disrupt his team by moving him for the first real test of the campaign - surely O'Meara at 3 would have been the more obvious solution?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Efan
Senior

Post by Efan »

I went down to Wexford Park on Sunday. Bitterly disappointing.

I thought we started well and threw the ball around nicely in the forward line and after ten mins there were no signs of what was to come. We conceded the first goal against the run of play and despite that we bounced back scoring two points to steady the ship. The second goal was a pivotal score. Ger Oakley stopped contesting the ball with Banville and stood off him allowing him a mountain of possession, you could see him grow into the game. He is a confidence hurler who with ball in hand will cause you problems. The 3rd and 4th goals came far too easy and killed the game. We did not track their runs from the half forward line and it was frustrating to see Breeder making saves and Wexford players queuing up to slot the rebounds.

I disagree with m’learned friend Great Day for the parish about Rory. I think he is the best 6 in the county. Given the defensive frailties we have at the moment we need to shore up that line. I would compare it to Waterford moving Ken McGrath from 11 to 6 over the last number of years and the defensive platform it gave them to build. With him and Kenny at 3 and 6 we have a spine to the team. 11 was a massive problem on Sunday. Brian Carroll started there and was never in the game. He looked off form and only came into the game late doors at full forward when we were dead and buried. We need somebody to physically contest this position Derek Molloy would be my choice, he’s game, good under a dropping ball and can get the head down. His discipline has been better this season and he’s a player the yellow card system has suited as he is now not as rash. For full forward I’m open to suggestion. Shane Dooley is certainly good enough to be a starting forward but Im not convinced with him at full forward. I had hoped that Joe Bergin would grow into the position but he has moved around the team so much that it’s hard to say with conviction where his best position is. I would probably opt with him at 14.

I think we are running around like headless chickens (as we were last Sunday) until we settle these 4 positions (ok Kenny is a given at 3) and at least 1 of the midfield berths.
Efan :)

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I wouldn't put Rory Hanniffy at centre back. He might well be the best centre back we have, but he is more use to use to us at midfield.

He has bullet speed and quick wrists and I think he is wasted at centre back. I'd much rather see him given a more freedom at midfield, getting on the ball more often and moving it quickly into the forwards.

You can put more of a blocker at centre back. Oakley is fine for centre back for the moment. He might occasionally miss the dropping ball, but when its 40 or 50 metres out it doesn't kill you. When he is full back he plays with a certain amount of fear and doesn't always commit himself to the 50-50s.

baz
Junior A

Post by baz »

This time last year i made the point ,paul cleary should never have been taken out of full back for the county .Cleary in fairness was never taken apart there .Kenny has worked brillantly there but your robbing peter to pay paul to play him full back .My point is 2 years ago our best line was center back line of -horan ,hanniffy & kenny ,we should go out with the strongest deffence possible and built up from there .ie.
1-mullins
2-brady -not too many would get easy around him there ,hes been better there a couple of years ago than half back
3 - cleary -mighten dominate with the hand like kenny but more than held his own there ,if he doesnt play there then its the sideline ,we cant afford that as we know kenny will work just as well on the half back line .
4- o meara (franks in championship) -verney or heron is other options who are constantly taken apart in matches ,how many times has o meara being taken to cleaners in comparison ,plus not afraid to use timber .
5 -horan -was excellent before injuries ,here so put him here and leave him here ,hes got the hurling in him .
6-hanniffy-if you watch not good wing back but rock solid in center
7- kenny
8-james rigney - gives options on field to change things around if need be ,as kenny can fill center back
9 -joe bergin -only fit for the sideline but we dont have much options if thats done too
10-brian carroll
11 - oakley -would be a wooful nuiscence there for any center back .still say after last years league campaign should have been left there as he was getting scores but would give strenght to a week attack
12-derek molloy
13-shane dooley -like he proved at u21 when pressure games come he will go missing
14- joe brady -one reason ,physique -did well last year at 11 but lads can feed off him ,usually goes ok against wexford ,why trainers cant tell him to stay on edge of square is baffaling .when he does he gets goals ,also others can feed off him
15-currams
not alot we can do with forwards but reckon as strong a backline we can fill both physically and hurling wise

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Horrendous team. Not sure if you mean this 15 to be our best team for the Championship or for Antrim but in the grander scheme of things I'll presume it to be the former.

Oakley at centre forward, Brady at full? Seriously? Do you want us to score at all or merely just throw some weight aorund? Midfield would be destroyed and Hanniffy should never be at centre back. Kenny is far superior in a central position and not near as impressive on the wing. Brady in the corner would be liable to concede too many frees. And no Murphy? Really a very poor team.

If you really want to engage in pure maddness with a bit of method why not suggest Horan (I presume we're talking about Diarmuid?) for the forwards (where he played underage I believe) and find somebody else for wing back, Rigney maybe.
Last edited by GreatDayForTheParish on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.