Reeling In The Years 2 Club Football 1988-1998

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Silken Thomas
All Star

Re: Reeling In The Years 2 Club Football 1988-1998

Post by Silken Thomas »

True Red wrote:
1.Vincent Egan - Ferbane
2.Mick Devine - Shannonbridge
3.Larry Carroll - Clara
4.Michael Lowry - Ferbane
5.Pádraig Moran - Clara
6.Finbar Cullen - Edenderry
7.Ken Kelleghan - Rhode
8.Séan Grennan - Ferbane
9.Peter Brady - Edenderry
10.Dinny Kelly - Ferbane
11.Declan McEvoy - Shannonbridge
12.Phil O' Reilly - Tullamore
13. :?: Very much open for debate
14.Vincent Mooney - Shannonbridge
15.Brendan Lowry - Ferbane

Subs:
16. :?:
17.James Stewart - Clara
18.Joe Hughes - Tullamore
19.Willie Reynolds - Clara
20.Pádraig Dunne - Gracefield
21.Cillian Farrell - Edenderry

Come on now BNMM, BARE and LS let's hear from ye. :)
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

Declan Farrell Edenderry with Four Senior championship medals was one of the best players on the club scene from 1983-1997 (he has a medal in 2001 as a sub). He was highly regarded by his team mates and opposition as one of the best club players in the county. Also has a Leinster medal from 1982 but no all ireland medal.
Would Mark Scanlons performances in 1993 merit inclusion? Minor, U21 and Senior in the one year. If memory serves me right he was man of the match in 93 senior final.
Always had great time for Joe Hughes Tullamore he would have played in a couple of county finals aswell.
Anthony Kelly, Shannonbridge was one of the top place kickers in the county over ten or twelve years.

I think True Red was being generous in getting the ball rolling: Cilllian Farrell's performances in 1995 and 1997 (the 2 finals which fall under the remit of this period) were top drawer and for them I feel he merits inclusion on the first 15. He had an off day in 1998 when Pat Dingle Daly fired Rhode over the finish line. He too could be considered having played in 1989 in a game when an over the top Stephen Darby led the way.

Dont forget...Alan McNamee played in the 1998 final- would that merit his inclusion?

Great club players from St Carthages Mucklagh/ and later Shamrocks never go to show their wares on county final day in this period: Scrap Bracken, Derek Claffey, Niall Bryant, Garrett O'Brien etc. Daingean were beat in 1991 semi and had one or two handy players, likewise Gracefield in 1991 final.

Plenty of discussion I'm sure....
Contae an Riogh

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

I've jumbled around a few players, trying to squeeze in the better players of this vintage.

1.Ken Furlong - Tullamore
2.Ken Kelleghan - Rhode
3.Larry Carroll - Clara
5.Jackie Kenny - Ferbane
7.Aidan Stewart - Clara
8.Séan Grennan - Ferbane
10.Barney Flynn - Ferbane
11.James Stewart - Clara
12.Pádraig Moran - Clara
13.Peter Brady - Edenderry
14.Cillian Farrell - Edenderry

Subs:
16.Joe Hughes - Tullamore
17.Pádraig Dunne - Gracefield
18.John Ryan - Shannonbridge
19.Phil Reilly - Tullamore
20.Pat Daly - Rhode
22.Pat Doyle - Ferbane
Coolestown1562 wrote: Would Mark Scanlons performances in 1993 merit inclusion? Minor, U21 and Senior in the one year. If memory serves me right he was man of the match in 93 senior final.
I don't think so. He had a very good debut year, but didn't do enough subsequently to merit inclusion. As for the MOTM award, I think Mark was given the nod by the Offaly Topic, but Padraig Moran won the official award, scoring a spectacular soccer-style goal in the first half. I include Padraig here, as he was MOTM also in the 91 Final, but in the half back line.
Silken Thomas wrote:
Considering you were probably playing around this time i'll take your word but I was always under the impression that in 1991 J.J trained the team.
Was Ollie Daly manager?

As for 1993 I believe Ollie Daly started off in charge before a 'players revolt' banished him.
J.J Barrett took the reins but quit over the cancellation of a training session due to an underage match.
Noel Kelly became the final front man in the Paddy Dolan trained set up.

Can you 'Clara'ify? :D
Apologies for not replying here sooner. I'd love to tell you we were cosmopolitan enough in 1991 to have appointed a Coach/Trainer and Manager (Euro-Soccer Model), but we didn't. JJ moved on early in the campaign and Ollie Daly took control. He brought Clara to the Leinster Club Final, where they were narrowly beaten by Thomas Davis. In 1992, he led Clara again, but after a replayed first-round, they were beaten by a Mark Plunkett-Inspired Tullamore. From memory, Ollie Daly wasn't involved with Clara in 1993.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

[quote="The Magpie"]I've jumbled around a few players, trying to squeeze in the better players of this vintage.

2.Ken Kelleghan - Rhode
3.Larry Carroll - Clara
5.Jackie Kenny - Ferbane
7.Aidan Stewart - Clara
8.Séan Grennan - Ferbane
11.James Stewart - Clara
12.Pádraig Moran - Clara

Subs:
20.Pat Daly - Rhode
22.Pat Doyle - Ferbane
quote]

Magpie, was Peter Brady that could that he would take up two positions on the team? :D
Contae an Riogh

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

Fergal McEvoy from Shannonbridge, I'd have him there at wing forward, Solely for his free taking abilities!!
What a class act....

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops:

Correction. I moved him to Corner Forward, so I could slot the Original Shaper into the middle of the field. First time I posted, I got a time-out and lost my post. Had to re-type it all !

Posting again has given me time to think about my Captain.

2.Ken Kelleghan - Rhode
3.Larry Carroll - Clara
5.Jackie Kenny - Ferbane
7.Aidan Stewart - Clara
8.Séan Grennan - Ferbane (C)
9.David Reynolds - Clara
11.James Stewart - Clara
12.Pádraig Moran - Clara

Subs:
20.Pat Daly - Rhode
22.Pat Doyle - Ferbane

In fairness to Brady though, he was that good.

Two more things. We should do a best 15 from the period - county final or not. And we should do a best 15 never to play in a county final. That'll test yee, though I can already see Bracknagh Boy coming with a proposal for Captain. :mrgreen:

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

though I can already see Bracknagh Boy coming with a proposal for Captain.
Thats funny I'll give you that one Magpie...... :wink:

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

Coolestown1562 wrote: Would Mark Scanlons performances in 1993 merit inclusion? Minor, U21 and Senior in the one year. If memory serves me right he was man of the match in 93 senior final.
I don't think so. He had a very good debut year, but didn't do enough subsequently to merit inclusion. As for the MOTM award, I think Mark was given the nod by the Offaly Topic, but Padraig Moran won the official award, scoring a spectacular soccer-style goal in the first half. I include Padraig here, as he was MOTM also in the 91 Final, but in the half back line.

It's funny how football matches blend together. Scores, venues and teams just merge over time leaving the spectator confused and doubtful. The 1993 County Senior Final though, will never be recalled as one of those games. Damp West Offaly savagery was the expected forecast but instead on a fine August afternoon in O' Connor Park a pulsating free flowing encounter radiated magnificently, dazzling the watching support. Clara surprised all and sundry, raising their game spectaculary without two of their County panellists (Reynolds brothers) and firing themselves into a nine point lead at one stage.

Panic though was alien to the Ferbane men of the time and they actually closed to two points with ten minutes to go. Enter Pádraig Moran, on another of his barnstorming surges, whose memorable cameo led to a scrambled effort from Tony Egan. The end of an empire :) :shock: .

Despite Pádraig Moran's excellent performance, Séan Grennan was actually my 'Man of the Match'. He devoured everything that came his way in an unbelievable first half and almost single handedly propelled Ferbane forward as their disjointed defence was torn asunder. I don't think any Clara man will mind me stating that 'Clocker' was not the first victim of the winning team being rewarded this most personal of accolades.

Ferbane though, true champions that they were, returned superbly the next year with Brendan Lowry back in harness. His two month suspension for verbal abuse of a referee having robbed the Ferbane team of a unique player who shaped this period like no other.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I think Mark Scanlon only got a point from play in the '93 final. He was flagged as the danger man for Clara all right, but I think Ferbane did a good enough job marshalling him.
I'm nearly sure that earlier in the year he scored 1-10 out of 1-11 in a league match versus Ferbane? - Magpie would know the details better.
It seems like the tanned assassin hit his peak at minor.

At a guess I'd say Clocker got MOTM for hauling the "Panel Beaters" back into it in the '93 final.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Silken Thomas wrote:
Come on now BNMM, BARE and LS let's hear from ye. :)
In fairness I missed most of those county finals.
I could make a stab at it when all the names have been thrown out :mrgreen:

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

Bord na Mona man wrote:I'm nearly sure that earlier in the year he scored 1-10 out of 1-11 in a league match versus Ferbane? - Magpie would know the details better.
It seems like the tanned assassin hit his peak at minor.

At a guess I'd say Clocker got MOTM for hauling the "Panel Beaters" back into it in the '93 final.
I'm not to sure about that league match - need to think about it.

I suspect the solo-performance is a reference to his debut championship game, which was played against Killeigh-Raheen (possibly the County Quarter-Final). I think of Clara's 12 points, he kicked 11.
He had assumed free-taking responsibilities (mainly the reason for his introduction), but still had a great game.

Details are sketchy now for sure.

I think it's fair to say he hit his peaks around Minor/U-21 level - he was a panelist with the Offaly U-21s when they won Leinster but were beaten by Mayo in the AI Semi-Final.

Finally, he was part of the 'dream-team' full forward line on the Clara junior team two years ago, alongside Willie Reynolds and Padraig Moran. Compensating for Stamina and Pace with cute-heads!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

That sounds a bit more like it.
The details are blurry and the matches tend to blend together, but I remember it was a standout performance.

A pity that he didn't push on and fulfil his potential after that.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Silken Thomas wrote: Come on now BNMM, BARE and LS let's hear from ye. :)
Not unlike Bord na Móna Man, my attendance at club games back in this era was occasional rather than regular - I don't think that anything I could contribute would be meaningful really. Top class work from the main contributors though!
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

A tougher one.

The best 15 NOT to have played in a County Final.

1.Seamus Kelly - Shamrocks
2.Willie Ryan - Doon
3.Paul Mulvihill - Killeigh-Raheen
4.Daisy Foley - Ballyfore
5.John Kenny - Daingean (now Tullamore)
6.Tom Coffey - Ballyfore (C)
7.Darren Quinn - Clonbullogue
8.Ronan Mooney - Shamrocks
9.Ciaran McManus - Tubber
10.Jody Quinn - Ballycumber
11.Frank Weir - Bracknagh
12.Sonny Lynam - Erin Rovers
13.Vinnie Claffey - Doon
14.David Claffey - Doon
15.David Connolly - Bracknagh

Subs:
16.Niall Bryant - Shamrocks
17.Kieran McEvoy - Gracefield
18.Donie Ryan - Doon
19.Paddy Stones - Rhode
20.Padraig Kelly - Shamrocks
21.Garrett O'Brien - Shamrocks
22.Barney O'Brien - Ballinamere

I'm missing a guy from Daingaen - a very useful forward - that may have been in with the County during these years. He's my final sub. Name that sub!

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

The Magpie wrote:
I'm missing a guy from Daingaen - a very useful forward - that may have been in with the County during these years. He's my final sub. Name that sub!
Would it be a Spollen lad that played in portlaoise against kildare in 1993?

Paddy Stones of Rhode was a minor of 1993/4 (Rhode won back to back) while an outstanding player would hardly have played many senior championship matches with Rhode however. Maybe Rhode Runner or someone could clarify.

Pascal Kellaghan made his Rhode senior debut at 15 years of age in 1995- would he merit inclusion in either team?
Contae an Riogh