Another Three Gone

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Another Three Gone

Post by Lone Shark »

taken from http://www.unison.ie

THE beleaguered Offaly hurlers have suffered yet another blow with the loss of three more key players ahead of Saturday's crucial All-Ireland qualifier game with Clare.

John McIntyre's side beat an understrength Galway team in a challenge game on Friday night, but the confidence boost of the win was off-set by the hamstring injury which forced Niall Claffey to come off in the first half.

Claffey had just returned to action after being out for nearly two months with a broken finger, but the latest injury has left him very doubtful for the Clare game.

Definitely out of contention are Neville Coughlan and David Franks. Coughlan had only returned to the hurling panel after the footballers were knocked out of the championship, but he picked up a shoulder injury while training with his club and has no chance of playing against Clare.

Franks, the team's regular corner-back, is due to travel to the US on Friday for his brother's wedding and will not be back in Ireland until next week.

This is a lot worse news than the loss of the five last week. Franks is still a fantastic player and corner back, even if it hasn't been a great year for him in a county shirt, while Claffey would have been a nailed on starter if he was available.

Neville Coughlan could have had a role to play as a mobile but tough centre forward or full forward as well - another option we've lost.

We're beginning to look a bit threadbare now. Starting XV?

Breeder,

Teehan, Oakley, Cleary.

Sid, Rory, Hoctor.

Cordial, O'Hara

Murphy, Gary H, Hayden

Carroll, Brown, Murray.

Not too many options really. O'Hara back to the full back line, Brown to midfield and give Joe Brady another run? Molloy on the wing and Brendan Murphy in the inside line? Any ideas?

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

Any ideas?
Yep, Three decades of the rosary, and a €10 donation to Saint Jude.

Loughers
All Star

Offaly Team

Post by Loughers »

I wouldn't start Murray. He's had too many chances. I'd play a full forward line of Carroll, Hanrahan and Brown. Rest of the team looks fine.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Hanrahan

Post by Lone Shark »

Fair point - I'd forgotten about him - deserves the run all right.

I heard he was pretty good against Galway too, though I'm sure you wouldn't want to be reading into that too much.

Bogman
All Star

Offaly Team

Post by Bogman »

Generally I like the Lone Shark team proposed, probably more than the one that McIntyre picks to take the field.

Hanrahan scored the goal against Waterford and is supposed to have scored 1-1 towards the end to win the game in Galway so Aidan definitely deserves his chance. It'll be interesting to see how he performs as a starter since he usually comes on when we are 12 points down.

Damien Murray has trouble winning ball at the top level although he is very accurate given the chance. His championship displays this year haven't won him a place.

I wouldn't rule out Niall Claffey starting - he's doubtful but McIntyre hasn't ruled him out. If so he might go in for Barry Teehan.

I like Kevin Brady but I have to admit that Mullane roasted him (4 points in 4 minutes, was it) so I won't argue for his inclusion at the start. Paul Cleary is a similar player anyway and he's a great prospect, maybe our full back of the future. I expect Cleary, Joe Bergin and Eamonn Lee to be fixtures on the senior team in a few years.

I'd have Gary Hanniffy at midfield and maybe O'Hara at centre forward to break up the play. I know that most of the puckouts bypass midfield but I don't think that Gary is that good under a puckout anyway and we don't do well when Breeder is flighting everything his way. IMHO Gary is not good in tight situations despite his size. In contrast he is very effective with a little more space and time,