How to treat a match like Kerry

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

How to treat a match like Kerry

Post by Lone Shark »

I'll leave it to someone like Plain of the Herbs to do an in depth rundown on the titanic clash that looks set to take place in Tullamore this Sunday, but I was just wondering what the general feeling among posters was about how to treat a game like this.

Joe Dooley is working with a panel of over thirty lads, many of whom will feel, if not now then soon, that they aren't getting a fair crack of the whip. Realistically a third string Offaly team should be good enough to secure the points in this game, so how would posters treat it?

(1) Pick a full strength team and beat Kerry by as much as possible, thereby building up momentum?
(2) Pick maybe 9/10 "first string" guys and see how the other five or six do in the context of having their likely summer team-mates beside them?
(3) Dig down into the panel and give guys an opportunity that they can't really be offered later in the league. After all, games like the Laois and Antrim ties are real banana skins, whereas Kerry realistically aren't. Anyone who looks head and shoulders above the rest then moves up the potential pecking order for bigger tests down the road. (However ideally not like the 2005 situation where cutting loose against Kerry ended up deciding who was fit to line out against Kilkenny)

I'd like to think that Joe will also give the UL Fitzgibbon lads a rest for the week that's in it too. National titles have been thin on the ground and if lads like Verney, Carroll, Hayden, Ryan, Dempsey and Egan come back with a national medal in their pockets, that can only stand to them down the road. No point risking injury in a fixture like this.

I'd actually go with option three. Any suggestions?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Muck Savage
All Star

Re: How to treat a match like Kerry

Post by Muck Savage »

The approach I would take would be to rest the UL lads, play about eight of the regulars with about six guys who haven't had much chance up to now. The openings that the UL lads leave you could be filled by these lads. I think it would be very unfair to our own lads if it was a full new fifteen. For Joe he needs to be able to see how these lads can come into a team and fill a role. A lad can play much better if there are stronger lads around him, putting out a 2nd string team doesn't always allow a lad a fair crack at the whip. Example would be a corner forward that could get good quality ball into him on a strong team score 7-8 points, now on a weaker team he gets dirty ball in and scores 1-2 points, which game will he stick out more in and have a better chance of claiming a place? I know this only allows you to try out a smaller number but you have to do this again with different lads the next day.
Now if I was in Joe's position I'd have a training session also the morning of the game.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I'd go with option 2 - even established lads that will be starting in the summer for definite WILL learn and develop something from a match like Sunday's. There is also the small risk that with a team of non-regulars that Kerry would get a storming start and things don't work so well and we're there firing lads on in the second half to try to scrape the result.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I'd pick the strongest 15 players I had at my disposal and attempt to humiliate Kerry by as much as possible. I'd experiment by sending the lads out to go for goals only. Set a target of 10 goals, maybe 5 per half and then hit over a few points at the end. I dont care what the opposition is like theres no better feeling for a forward than to bang in a few goals in a game...it'll give them a world of confidence.
What about the 15 or so Offaly lads on the fringe, shouldn't get a chance. No. If Dooley is doing his job right (doubtful he is) then these lads should be getting competitive action in training in A v B teams like in Kilkenny. The NHL is the 2nd biggest hurling stage there is and lads should earn the right to line out and there should be no let up for a match like this. Being utterly rootless is the only way to bring success.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I can’t dredge up any enthusiasm for the Kerry match at all, to the point where I haven’t even looked at the weather forecast, and probably won’t until Sunday morning.

My thoughts in advance of this weekend are more focussed on Croke Park and England. Boy do I hate these matches that Ireland (or Offaly for that matter) “should win”, and I’d sooner see Peter Stringer start at scrum half.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

Anyone involved in college hurling should be excused, then you pick a team of maybe 10-12 regulars and use the subs well. You need some form of consistency between games.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I Think there's a Tipperary boy inside of you just crying to be let out there, bboy!
bracknaghboy wrote:I'd pick the strongest 15 players I had at my disposal and attempt to humiliate Kerry by as much as possible.
I might add that I'm glad to be from a county who don't think like that.

Also, I discovered last night while rooting out something else that Kerry played in the Leinster minor hurling championship during the late '80's. Anyone rememer this, 'cause I don't. Not that the Kingdom left their mark on the championship or anything like that!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offalys Future
All Star

Post by Offalys Future »

The best 15 available to play should start Sunday.
For too long now players are given the offaly jersey that haven't earned it and other players
making cheap excuses. Whether it be a leinster final or
a div 2 national league game the best players should always play.
This notion of resting players for college games doesnt fit with me.
You aspire as a player to be a intercounty hurler, if you are fit then you play. No EXCUSES ANYMORE.
" In The Presence Of Confidence Doubt Cannot Exist "

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Offalys Future wrote:The best 15 available to play should start Sunday.
For too long now players are given the offaly jersey that haven't earned it and other players
making cheap excuses. Whether it be a leinster final or
a div 2 national league game the best players should always play.
This notion of resting players for college games doesnt fit with me.
You aspire as a player to be a intercounty hurler, if you are fit then you play. No EXCUSES ANYMORE.
We need as many of our players at the highest level possible and I'm afraid that NHL div2 is not the answer. If you play some of the UL boys and they get injured they will potentially miss out on two fiercly competitive championship games the following weekend, while at the same time denying some of the other panel members a competitive run out. If you dont try them you will never know if they can step up.
I think we should line out with the rest of the regulars minus the UL boys and this way Joe could see where some lads may be able to fit in around them.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Seems like Dooley is taking no chances and rightly so....Sundays team:

1. Brian Mullins, Birr

2. David Franks, Carrickshock

3. David Kenny, Belmont

4. Stephen Wynne, St Rynagh’s

5. Kevin Brady, Coolderry

6. Ger Oakley, Carrig & Riverstown (Captain)

7. Paul Cleary, Birr

8. Rory Hanniffy, Birr

9. Michael Verney, Birr

10. Brian Carroll, Coolderry

11. Cathal Horan, St Rynagh’s

12. Derek Molloy, Shamrocks

13. Daniel Currams, Kilcormac/ Killoughey

14. Shane Dooley, Tullamore

15. Joe Bergin, Seir Kieran

bula bula
All Star

Post by bula bula »

Very strong team. Would have preferred to see a couple more lads get a try but maybe Dooley will change things around when the game is won, hopefully before the break. I would definitely agree with POTH on being glad to not being from a county like Kilkenny or Tipperary who would show no mercy whatsoever.
A nice comfortable win.
"Ohhh mamma!"

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Lone Shark wrote:I'll leave it to someone like Plain of the Herbs to do an in depth rundown on the titanic clash that looks set to take place in Tullamore this Sunday, but I was just wondering what the general feeling among posters was about how to treat a game like this.

Joe Dooley is working with a panel of over thirty lads, many of whom will feel, if not now then soon, that they aren't getting a fair crack of the whip. Realistically a third string Offaly team should be good enough to secure the points in this game, so how would posters treat it?

(1) Pick a full strength team and beat Kerry by as much as possible, thereby building up momentum?
(2) Pick maybe 9/10 "first string" guys and see how the other five or six do in the context of having their likely summer team-mates beside them?
(3) Dig down into the panel and give guys an opportunity that they can't really be offered later in the league. After all, games like the Laois and Antrim ties are real banana skins, whereas Kerry realistically aren't. Anyone who looks head and shoulders above the rest then moves up the potential pecking order for bigger tests down the road. (However ideally not like the 2005 situation where cutting loose against Kerry ended up deciding who was fit to line out against Kilkenny)

I'd like to think that Joe will also give the UL Fitzgibbon lads a rest for the week that's in it too. National titles have been thin on the ground and if lads like Verney, Carroll, Hayden, Ryan, Dempsey and Egan come back with a national medal in their pockets, that can only stand to them down the road. No point risking injury in a fixture like this.

I'd actually go with option three. Any suggestions?
Choice 1 for every 'must win' game.
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Going back to the earlier point.
In don't think you need always play your best 15.

Picking the same 15 all the time means your bench warmers are less prepared if you need to call on them in May or June.
Picking 6 or 7 of your best team and experimenting with the rest means the team suffers and fringe players don't get to shine.

Best thing to do is pick 12 or 13 of your best players, in their best positions if possible and give a run to 2 or 3 others.

swiftpost
County player

Post by swiftpost »

bracknaghboy wrote:Seems like Dooley is taking no chances and rightly so....Sundays team:

1. Brian Mullins, Birr

2. David Franks, Carrickshock

3. David Kenny, Belmont

4. Stephen Wynne, St Rynagh’s

5. Kevin Brady, Coolderry

6. Ger Oakley, Carrig & Riverstown (Captain)

7. Paul Cleary, Birr

8. Rory Hanniffy, Birr

9. Michael Verney, Birr

10. Brian Carroll, Coolderry

11. Cathal Horan, St Rynagh’s

12. Derek Molloy, Shamrocks

13. Daniel Currams, Kilcormac/ Killoughey

14. Shane Dooley, Tullamore

15. Joe Bergin, Seir Kieran
Bord na Mona man wrote: Best thing to do is pick 12 or 13 of your best players, in their best positions if possible and give a run to 2 or 3 others.
I think that's what Dooley did do, as 9,11 and 13 probably wont be playing come championship. Well Verney might but definetly not in midfield!