Leinster or Munster

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joe bloggs
All Star

Leinster or Munster

Post by joe bloggs »

This one is about rugby and we are all Gaa people in here, but I'm just wondeing as offaly people where would your loyalties lie if Leinster end up playing Munster in the Heinekin Cup Q.F. or even later on :?:
There is a lot of people in Leinster who support Munster but i doubt there is anyone from Munster doing the opposite.
Personally I'd be behind Leinster as the arrogance of some munster supporters (or bandwagon men) seems to have grown exponentially in recent times
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

kinnittyman
All Star

Re: Leinster or Munster

Post by kinnittyman »

Leinster all the way for me. In fairness we are all Leinster men and we might be partial to a bit of Munster hurling bashing so it would be somewhat hypocritical of us to start following Munster. Anyways to be frank there is absolutley no difference between the Leinster rugby fan and the Munster rugby fan other than the Leinster rugby supporter is not ashamed of their middle class background!!!

The Munster bandwagon is actually vomit-inducing. I spent 7 years in Limerick so I know all about it.

Allez les bleus!!!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Leinster for me, though you do have to laugh at some of the goys that follow them!
Munster are a fine team, but Jesus they don't half go over the top with the hyperbole.

It is the same rubbish that surrounds Munster hurling too though.
Excessive bragging is very much a Munster thing - especially in Cork.
You'd wonder if Christy Ring was a Leinster man, would he be considered such a hurling God?

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

joe bloggs wrote: This one is about rugby and we are all Gaa people in here, but I'm just wondeing as offaly people where would your loyalties lie if Leinster end up playing Munster in the Heinekin Cup Q.F. or even later on :?:
There is a lot of people in Leinster who support Munster but i doubt there is anyone from Munster doing the opposite.
Personally I'd be behind Leinster as the arrogance of some munster supporters (or bandwagon men) seems to have grown exponentially in recent times
Offaly is in Leinster.You are what you are.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Ara ye're all bandwagonners. :D

As a former participant in Connacht Schools rugby myself (albeit reserves - I was utterly useless!!), and with several ex students of the school in Ferbane having picked up contracts or played representative in the green at various stages, there's only one provincial ground you're likely to find me at, and that's the bleak and windswept Sportsgrounds.

Between Connacht Rugby and Offaly GAA, there's not much glamour in my sporting haunts.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

Leinster for me. Nothing worse than a Leinster born munster fan. You get frustrated with them but the gaa background makes me support the parish you were born in.

Speaking of Leinster rugby does anybody else reckon Leinster would be better off without Contepomi and spend the money on someone more trustworthy. Am I the only one who thinks that Dr. Flakiness is seriously overrated? They seem to have an alright pack now so bringing up Stringer for a year with a decent out half and that backline should make music.

Phoenix
All Star

Post by Phoenix »

Leinster for me all the way.

I went to Twickenham with some friends (most of them from Leinster) to see Munster in a Heineken Cup Final but I`d always support Leinster over them and in the last few years, when Leinster were more competitive, they`ve been my only team.

In fairness Leinster have played some great rugby at times, that win away against Toulouse a few years ago was really special.

The friends are all still Munster supporters, though, even though they hail from places like Kilkenny and Longford.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

corner back wrote:Leinster for me. Nothing worse than a Leinster born munster fan. You get frustrated with them but the gaa background makes me support the parish you were born in.

Speaking of Leinster rugby does anybody else reckon Leinster would be better off without Contepomi and spend the money on someone more trustworthy. Am I the only one who thinks that Dr. Flakiness is seriously overrated? They seem to have an alright pack now so bringing up Stringer for a year with a decent out half and that backline should make music.

Have to disagree there regards Contempomi. Okay he can be a bit tempremental at times but he is the closest thing Leinster have to a game controlling out half. Nacewa is a quality runner and I'd say in broken field he'd be top class but he doesnt have the kicking game to dictate a games tempo. I'd prefer to see Felipe slot back in at 10 and use Nacewa elewhere even as an impact sub when a game becomes ragged. For me the real problem at half-back is Chris Whittaker. He takes oodles of time out of the ball whether it be stepping before a pass of acting the arse around the base of a ruck slowing down the ball. And to answer the question of Leinster's misfiring backs I firmly believe the flat alignment Alan Gaffney brings to the attacking game has stifled their attacking ability. Against a blitz defence its Kamikaze rugby as we saw last weekend in Twickenham. Having said all that I still think the bonus point will be got tomorrow and I predict an away Q-Final against Leicster. However without a revamp at 9/10 I cant see them going any further.

My preferred Leinster team for Q-Final:
15 Rob Kearney
14 Shane Horgan
13 Brian o'Driscoll
12 Gordon D'Arcy
11 Luke Fitzgerald
10 Felipe Contempomi
9 Chris Keane
1. CJ van der Linde
2. Bernard Jackman
3. Stan Wright
4 Leo Cullen
5 Mal O Kelly
6 Rocky Elsom
7 Shane Jennings
8 Jame Heaslip

And while Im at it I might aswel give out my preferred Ireland team for the 6 nations

15 Rob Kearney
14 Shane Horgan
13 Brian O' Driscoll
12 Gordon D'Arcy
11 Luke Fitzgerald
10 Ronan O Gara
9 Tomas O Leary
8 David Wallace
7 Shane Jennings
6 Stephen Ferris
5 Donncha o Callagahan
4 Paul O Connell
3 John Hayes
2 Rory Best
1 Anyone other than Marcus Horan. Cian Healy???

Doon Massive
All Star

Post by Doon Massive »

Leinster number 1, but with Connacht a close second, for much the same reasons as lone shark outlined above.

I think the problem with the Leinster teams of the past was that it was pretty much a D4 team, not really representative of the province.
Now there are lads from outside D4 (Carlow, Wicklow, Australia :wink: and so on) it makes it a bit easier to support them.

Some serious gobsh*tes follow both Munster and Leinster though.

Anyone supporting London Irish? :twisted:

2-11/1-12
Junior C

Post by 2-11/1-12 »

Leinster all the way, i have to agree with joe bloggs especially in relation to the munster arrogance and the fact the majority of munster fans would not follow leinster if they were out of competition. They talk about leinster being all about D4 dont forget we have a man who would be proud to call himself an offaly man on the leinster team. His parents are from and living in kinnitty, girvan dempsey.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

So lads Leinster managed to get through to QF. Wouldn't it be amusing if the beat Harlequins and were given a 'home' semi. The game would probably go to Thomand (unless they had drawn munster), while on the otherhand if Munster win and get a homer they will have to go abroad. The Gaelic Grounds which has i think has only once been filled,will be lying empty and would have been a perfect alternative the red army. Can you imagine the chorus of criticism flowing out of Munster if this happens. :)

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

Thought Leinster were poor again today. Okay I wasn't of the opinion that the flood gates would open or anything but I thought they might cross for at least a couple of tries.

The ironic thing is though the backs attacked with a bit more depth this weekend than last but still no tries. Nacewa also seemed to have a better game this weekend than in London but it was noticeable how much he and Contepomi interchanged positions. I'd still rather see Felipe more prominent at 10. Whittaker was his usual crap self and its gone beyond a joke at this stage how he can stay at number 9. Contrast his game today to Tomas O Leary or Byron Kelleher and it just shows how poor he has become. The upshots of today were the performances of Rob Kearney and Rocky Elsom both outstanding. And the draw which sees a q-final against Harlequins most likely to be played in Twickenham which should suit Leinster as The Stoop is a tough place to go.

Looks like it's Munsters to lose!! Jesus wept! :roll:

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I'm going against the grain here and to be honest I'm surprised. I would have thought a lot more Offaly people would support Munster. I wouldn't consider myself a bandwagon jumper at all. Unlike LS there when I started playing rugby in secondary school I didn't really cling onto Connaught, I went with Munster, the brother had been a follower since the early nineties and just like with Liverpool I followed him into it (thankfully Munster worked out a bit better!). I suppose the fact that they were starting to get successful then didn't hurt either but I was young so it's hard to blame me for that.

The reason I've stuck with them is because I can relate more to they're way of thinking. I would say the real Munster supporters are supremely confident but in no way arrogant. The players are down to earth and there is much more of a parish feel to the whole thing (even though I'm not in the Parish!). Despite what was said above, it is the common man's game in the city, as well as being middle class. I have no problem with middle class Leinster supporters. They are what they are, you can't blame a dog for its spots, and they're actually decent enough too, but I just can't relate to them in the same way I can with the Munster players and genuine supporters.

I get a bit of stick from both Leinster and Munster people over this but that's the reason I always give anyway.
The night is darkest before the dawn

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

So the draw has been made and if Munster win the have a home tie, and should Leinster win they would be against Munster. So where will it be played if this comes to pass. Thomand not allowed and munster must find a venue with a 25k plus capacity. Central council might have to make a big call on this because the motion that opened croker while lansdowne is closed is not specific. The only other alternative on the Island is Windsor Park in Belfast.

Efan
Senior

Post by Efan »

I’m from The Faithful living in Munster. When I lived in Dublin I’d head to Donnybrook or the RDS on a Friday night and even living down here I’ll try and make at least a couple of the home ERC games. What does wreck my head a bit is when Munster play I would normally wish them the best and hope they win, especially in the crunch European games. I think there is a decent bit of that sentiment out there with Leinster rugby supporters, even the rugby heads I hang around with from Dublin. Lots of Leinster rugby supporters I know would have gone to Cardiff, Twickenham or wherever Munster have played some of their ERC finals and cheered them on.

I find that sentiment does not necessarily flow in both directions. A lot of the rugby lads I meet down this way are delighted when Leinster fail to achieve (and they do this in style) and would strongly have the attitude of “its not good enough for us to win bit everybody else has to loose”. This is nothing to do with winning mentality, its your average Irish parochial attitude of wishing ill on the boy in the parish next door. Its this element of the Munster band wagon that I dislike as it has undermined a certain amount of the positivity I would have had toward them in the past. I think that a hell of a lot of Munster fans would like to see Leinster never win a European Cup as it would be perceived to be raining on their parade.

PS: My understanding on the position with regard to Croke Park is that a semi there is not even on the agenda. The motion to congress at the time only allowed for the use of the Stadium for International matches. There was a suggestion that this be amended to pass this power to Central Council to decide on a case by case basis but I am not sure if this happened. If it didn't then it would require a motion to congress to allow an ERC Semi final to happen and obviously this cannot happen in the time allowd.
Efan :)