Your Offaly Championship Team 2009

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
full2forward
Junior B

Your Offaly Championship Team 2009

Post by full2forward »

My champ team Vs Kildare
Starter / Reserve - Why
1.kelly /meehan - kelly is still the best we have, should look to kick to smith(use his high feilding)
2.Rafferty / Pender - Rafferty is a corner back!.
3.Evans /Sean Casey? - Evans if he trains hard, gets sharpe, would be a great asset here/Is casey on the squad?
4.B.Darby /lynam - is a true corner back, thight marker, V.fast and strong
5.Mc.Conway / Mitchell - toss up, but havent seen much of mitchell.
6.Sullivan /Quinn - Sullivan is a centre back, not full! needs to stay on the pitch and avoid his odd silly moment!
7.Slattery /keane - hes a half back, not half forward Mr. Roe!!
8.Smith /Carrol - best feilder in the county
9.A.Mc.Namee /Mahon - if he can carry his Rhode 08 form on, after a good rest, hopefull for him this year
10.N.Darby / P.Sullivan - a long range scoring threat, from frees and play, but needs to bulk up a bit
11.N.Coughlan /Kelly - adds huge experience and strength, will always give all he has.
12.Ryan /Guinan - fast, makes the brake, need some explosiveness in the team
13.Casey /deehan - Casey wont ever improve to his potential if we dont play him at county level
14.Mc.Manus / Connor - as purely a ball winning ff. and laying it off to the scorers -Mc, Casey, Darby
15.N.Mc.Namee /Coughlan - on hard summer ground is as good a footballer as you will see

black and red exile
All Star

Re: Your Offaly Championship Team 2009

Post by black and red exile »

1. Kevin Meehan
2.Shane Sullivan
3.Ger Rafferty
4.Brian Darby
5.Matt Mitchell
6.Neville Coughlan
7.Karl Slattery
8.Niall Smith
9.Alan McNamee
10.Niall Darby
11.Jason Kelly
12.Sean Ryan
13.Thomas Deehan
14.Rory Guinan
15.Niall McNamee

full2forward
Junior B

Post by full2forward »

Come on lads!!
I would really like to get teams off of all the regular posters!!

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

1.Paudge Kelly
2.Ger Rafferty
3.Sean Casey
4.Brian Darby
5.Matt Mitchell
6.Ciaran McManus
7.James Keane
8.Niall Smith
9.Alan McNamee
10.Niall Darby
11.Neville Coughlan
12.Jason Kelly
13.Derek Molloy
14.Karl Slattery
15.Niall McNamee
The Untouchable

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'm never a big fan of this pastime because it's simply impossible to be in possession of all the info. For example, if the championship was tomorrow, then clearly Conor Evans, Matt Mitchell and Joe Quinn aren't ready yet - having said that, I've great time for all three players and I'd be of the hope that all three will get closer and closer to championship pace over the course of the league - but whether or not they'll get there? Who knows.

Likewise, we're all hoping that Niall McNamee will be available, but that's far from a given. If he's not, then you have to change your game plan because there is no other forward in the county who has the same ability to win primary possession and to take his own score. You can't play a two man full forward line without him.

Having said all that, here's my attempt at it:

Meehan

Sullivan (I agree that he's possibly a better centre back - however he came on a ton last year as a marker so I'd leave him in here)
Evans (If he gets back to 2005 form - if not, then Rafferty)
Rafferty (Brian Darby in here if Raff has to move to FB)

Keane (I'd be open to McConway if he got his aggression back - he's a shadow of his former self for the last twelve months)
Quinn
Neville Coughlan (Maybe Matt Mitchell if he gets up to speed)

Smith (Nobody comes close)
McManus (He's passing the ball very well, would get him to drop back a lot and allow Smith to push forward)

Sean Ryan
Jason Kelly (Would have Aidan Keenaghan in here in a shot if he was in the squad, but Kelly is the best of what's there - provided he works at it)
Niall Darby (Provided he gets stronger - a lot of work needed in that regard)

Nigel Dunne
Karol Slattery (To drop back around midfield obviously)
Niall Mac

As for wild cards other than the ones mentioned above, the under 21's will throw up a few - I'd be particularly interested to see how Ger Dunne, Brian Connor and Colin Egan fare at a higher level, while Rory Guinan is simply much better than what he's shown so far. Padraig Duffy of Gracefield is another who I can't believe hasn't got a run yet, but I'd say he won't get in at this stage.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I would have Slattery at the back. We need to play a 3 man full forward line. If we play 2 inside with Slattery (or anybody else) dropping back, then thats just negative. Its a very simple game to play. 2 midfielders, 3 half forwards and 3 in full forward line is the only way to attack. Anything else invites the dreaded blanket defense. The teams that start abandoning the handpass in favour of well placed fast ball into the inside forwards are the ones that will succeed.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

bracknaghboy wrote: The teams that start abandoning the handpass in favour of well placed fast ball into the inside forwards are the ones that will succeed.
I'm not sure I'm following - why does a two man full forward line automatically imply that you're going to handpass forever out the field? The truth is that we do not have a plethora of defenders who are capable of going toe to toe with good forwards and coming off on top, so we need cover back there. We do not have a choice of powerful, 6"4 fielding midfielders, so we need plenty of bodies in there. We do have a corner forward who is capable of beating two defenders - so let's let him do that - off well directed, fast, early ball. A fast half forward line can get in on top of him quick enough to give the necessary support.

We're simply not good enough to just play a traditional line out and think that we'll win - we have too many weaknesses. We need to let our strengths cover for our weaknesses and this is the best way.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

In theory Shark you are correct but my experience of playing and watching tells different. A two man full forward line with one lad dropping back means the opposition put a lad out around the middle as well. Keeping in mind that they are likely to be trying the same thing themselves that can mean 4 extra men in the middle sector. Due to the congestion it forces lads to handpass the ball around because they are surrounded and cant get time or spce to get a good kick in. A kick at this stage means the inside 2 have to come out to meet the ball leaving a 30 yard empty space between the goal keeper and the next nearest player. How many times do we see that in a game.....the ball dropping in and nobody there.
Lets keep a traditional formation. The way to create space is to get your corner forwards to play like corner forwards and keep way out towards the corner flags. Wing forwards should stay on the wing. That creates the space to kick into the full forward. Under no circumstances should the any of the full forward line to outside the 14 yard line (except for kick out obviously) ensuring you have men beside the goal is the only way to score. We are all getting bogged down with fancy formations, sweepers, blanket defences etc and its ruining the game and crippling our chances of winning.
Lets line out with 1-3-3-2-3-3 formation and leave it at that.

bob d
Junior C

Post by bob d »

for offaly to compete a change is needed......what is necessary im not sure, i know new young players would be welcome......
if ther was 3 newcomers to stat in the championship who would they be? or 5 , 7 whatever....................is the talent there?????

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

bracknaghboy wrote:In theory Shark you are correct but my experience of playing and watching tells different. A two man full forward line with one lad dropping back means the opposition put a lad out around the middle as well. Keeping in mind that they are likely to be trying the same thing themselves that can mean 4 extra men in the middle sector. Due to the congestion it forces lads to handpass the ball around because they are surrounded and cant get time or spce to get a good kick in. A kick at this stage means the inside 2 have to come out to meet the ball leaving a 30 yard empty space between the goal keeper and the next nearest player. How many times do we see that in a game.....the ball dropping in and nobody there.
Lets keep a traditional formation. The way to create space is to get your corner forwards to play like corner forwards and keep way out towards the corner flags. Wing forwards should stay on the wing. That creates the space to kick into the full forward. Under no circumstances should the any of the full forward line to outside the 14 yard line (except for kick out obviously) ensuring you have men beside the goal is the only way to score. We are all getting bogged down with fancy formations, sweepers, blanket defences etc and its ruining the game and crippling our chances of winning.
Lets line out with 1-3-3-2-3-3 formation and leave it at that.
Without getting on your case this simplistic view of forward play would never be beneficial to Offaly or indeed anyone else.
Every forward division must play to their strengths. Offaly have forwards in the 5ft 9inch-6ft range who can read a game well, kick with both feet and would be physically classed as weak for the Inter County stage.
Any mantra that dictates that corner forwards stay in their corner or that a full forward line must be stifled by the 14 yard line would be far too easily negated at club let alone County level.

When you have natural athletes and all round terrific forward players like Kerry, Galway, Armagh 'systems' can go out the window and class cannot be stifled.
When the forward system accentuates a forward line despite individual weaknesses then it is worth replicating.
Three exact examples would be;

Tyrone 2008
Rhode 2008
Laois Under 21 2007

Tyrone's play involved all forwards constantly moving and dragging defenders everywhere all the while trying to clear a zone 30 metres from the opposition goalmouth. This was then filled with one player who then had ample room to beat one defender or for a marauding defender to arrive at speed. It really impressed me especially when you had distinctly average inter county players like Ryan Mellon and Colm McCullagh notching up scores despite obvious limitations.

I claim no expertise in forward play but for me movement is essential. When a half back or midfielder is in possession he should be trying to hit a forward line where at least five of the six forwards are moving. Some of these runs are into space, some of these are dummy runs, all runs however are productive. Any backline hates to be moved. Movement stops backs double teaming, intercepting and breaking the ball from a forward.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

Football panel for 2009 based on my belief as to who the best players in the County are (using last year's club games as a starting point):

1.Dean Bracken
2.Gerry Grehan
3.Ger Rafferty
4.Karl Slattery
5.Shane Sullivan
6.Richard Fox
7.James Keane
8.Niall Smith
9.Richie Dalton
10.Aidan Keenaghan
11.Rory Guinan
12.Neville Coghlan
13.Sean Ryan
14.Ciaran McManus
15.Niall McNamee

Panel members:
Padraic Kelly, Alan McNamee, Matthew Mitchell, Jason Kelly, Alan Lynam, Jimmy Coghlan, Sean Casey, Ken Casey, Niall Darby, Paul McConway, Thomas Coghlan, Derek Molloy, Shane Dooley, Geaoroid O Grady, Joe Higgins

baz
Junior A

Post by baz »

Its gut wrenching to see the way football has declined in offaly and the tread on the hogan stand regarding this hits the nail on the head .Offaly were never any good at the short handpass running game .Why are we always trying to copy everyone else (same with hurling ) play the way that suits and thats the traditional way .Even with the size of our forwards they cause more trouble to opposing teams playing traditional way ,every time they play the running game they are embrassing it never suited us .They are not fast enough for that and teams theams that play that game are usually crap as their forwards cant kick a ball over the bar from 30 yards under pressure .Of course its lazy analysis from people who forget its a simple game but made supitly complicated by people who try to be overly smart in training.Remember 1997 ,the way that team mixed it up with the sort game then the quick diagonal ball to the forwards (which created one on one situations),Tyrone played almost the same way this year .As some commentators said last year over coaching is killing the game .Running around the training pitch handpassing to one another and then on game day we are cringing at the standard of football ,and wondering why lads cant kick a bloody ball .theres nearly more people on side lines conducting analysis on what each player is doing (eugene magee had a good piece in independant about this ) analysis for this and that .And yet for all that effort from them and also the expense ,what do they really achieve eg tyrone would have won no allireland without Harte (he s a bloody good coach ).
I like the look and the idea of the team shown by the previous guy,a good mix and that full forward line would cause havoc to anyone .

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

1.Pádraig Kelly

2.Thomas Coughlan
3.Conor Evans
4.Brian Darby

5.Neville Coughlan
6.Seán Casey
7.Karol Slattery

8.Niall Smith
9.Ciarán McManus
14.Jason Kelly

10.Niall Darby
11.Rory Guinan
12.Aidan Keenaghan

13.Thomas Deehan
15.Niall McNamee

That would be a team I would like to see out but physically it could be eaten alive.
Ex players like Cathal Daly, Paschal and Jimmy would surely get a look in too if they could commit.

James Keane, Ger Rafferty and particulary Shane Sullivan would all have a major case for the defence.
Alan McNamee remains the only other option for midfield.
While up front James Coughlan and Ken Casey would be aggrieved at missing Deehan's place.

Seán Ryan should also be the only other player in the shake up for the forward line. His decision to concentrate on football will be hugely beneficial to himself and his club. While he wouldn't be on my starting team yet something tells me that he has the right attitude and dedication to make it unlike others who have remained stagnant :roll:
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Silken Thomas wrote:That would be a team I would like to see out but physically it could be eaten alive.
I don't see why. I actually think that we've got this arseways in Offaly for ages. We've put out physically weak teams, so people think that the solution has to be to field a team of 6 foot 3 beanpoles - yet if you look at the Dubs, arguably one of the best teams out there in terms of conditioning, it's not as if they're chock a block with monster sized individuals. Lads like Paul Casey, Alan Brogan and Shane Ryan are as powerful as they come, but none of them are naturally huge - we just need to make sure that the lads who come on board have that same attitude to preparation - and I think you're on the right track with a lot of the guys named in that team above.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Might as well have a stab at it:

Paraic Kelly

Ger Rafferty
Conor Evans
Brian Darby

Shane Sullivan
James Keane