Carroll Meats

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Coolestown1562
Senior

Carroll Meats

Post by Coolestown1562 »

(I realise this may have been briefly discussed when there was much furore over the new jersey, but thought I would raise it again)

Just after been watching TV3 sports news there and they were mentioning that Wexford Cremeary were pulling out of their sponsorship deal with Wexford Senior hurlers and footballers. The clip incorrectly stated that they were the sponsors since counties were first allowed put sponsors names on their jerseys in 1991, which got me thinking. Wexford's first sponsor briefly in 1991 was Buckler who also in the same year were the Dublin Sponsors before Arnotts stepped in. So are Carroll Meats the longest serving sponsor of a county on the go? Can any one add 1991 sponsors:
Tipperary- Tipperary Mineral Water?
Meath- controverisaly had O'Reilly Transport (later sponsor of Down) for the first couple of games including the Dublin 4 game saga but by the time of the all ireland in september were wearing Kepak across their chests
Cork- Barry's Tea
Kildare- Pittman Moore
Laois- Master Pork
Louth- AIBP Meats
What had Westmeath got?

On jerseys and 1991 does anyone remember the lovely Green and White jerseys Offaly wore against Meath in Croke Park in the Semi Final- no sign of yellow anywhere ?? As reigning county champions someone from Ferbane had a hand in that me thinks :D
Contae an Riogh

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Carroll Meats

Post by bracknaghboy »

Westmeath-Durex

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Offaly first wore the ‘Carroll Meats’ jerseys for the hurling semi final against Dublin in 1991, played on 30/06/1991.

From memory, Meath wore ‘O’Reilly Transport’ for the first two Dublin matches but changes to ‘Kepak’ for the third match of the series, which was played the week before Offaly hurled Dublin.

I must try and see what Dublin wore in 1991, I think it was Kaliber, which was the Guinness group’s non-alco lager.

Wexford did indeed wear ‘Buckler’ for the league semi final & final in 1991. Buckler was either Heineken or Beamish’s non-alco brand.

Laois have had more sponsors than I’ve had hot dinners. There must be some collection out there somewhere. Ditto Westmeath.

As regards 1991, Kilkenny wore Mahon-McPhilips. Clare wore Aeroflot. Lierick wore Maddens Milk. Maddens Milk were later taken over by Golden Vale, hence the change of sponsor.

Surely Kerry Group must be the counrty's longest serving sponsor?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Coolestown1562
Senior

Post by Coolestown1562 »

POTH,

Yes you are indeed correct re: Dublin they wore Kaliber against Offaly in LSH semi, how we lost that game is beyond me.

Kerry wore 'Kerry Group' for the all ireland semi against Down in August 1991- I just wonder had they something before this. '

'Maddens Milk'- thats a good one
Think Leitrim had 'Jimmy's of Dromod' for awhile in the early 1990s before Masonite stepped in.
Contae an Riogh

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Clare wore Aeroflot.
??????

Early Roman Abrahmovic sporting involvement?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Dublin footballers might have been sponsosred by National Irish Bank in the very beginning.
Westmeath were Bennet Construction in the mid 90s.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Lone Shark wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:Clare wore Aeroflot.
??????

Early Roman Abrahmovic sporting involvement?
Aeroflot kept Shannon Airport in business during the old days.

Rickety planes, meals thrown at you, chain smoking on the planes...by the air hostesses.
A golden era in air travel. :D

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Supermacs seem to have been with the Galway hurlers for a long time too
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I had a quick look last night. Wexford Creamery has adorned the purple and gold since the 1992 championship.

I recall Down won the All-Ireland in 1991, sponsored by Kersten Hunik. Carna Transport sponsored Armagh around that time. Roscommon won the Connacht title. I think they had two sponsors, front and back. 747 Travel was one of them.

I’m nearly sure Galway hurlers have been sponsored by Supermac’s since the start. Their minor hurlers were sponsored by Buck Rogers in the early years though.

I suppose the best place to see who sponsored who would be on a ‘Best of 1991’ video, if it could be got.

I thought those jerseys the footballers wore against Meath in 1991 were nice jerseys. Someone near me at the 1994 All-Ireland wore one, with a number on the back. definitely a collectors item. There was uproar at the next board meeting though due to the absence of the '1982 stripes' along the collar bones. That was long before 'Off the Rails' hit our TV screens!

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

[quote="Plain of the Herbs"]
I’m nearly sure Galway hurlers have been sponsored by Supermac’s since the start. Their minor hurlers were sponsored by Buck Rogers in the early years though.

i was at the AI hurling final in 1993 and Galway played in the minor aswell as in the senior v kilkenny. The minors were sponsored by buck rogers who is/was a chipper i believe in Galway, and there was a few jerseys on the supporters with the minor sponsor funiily enough. But the reason i remember it is because before the game i met a yank who was over to see what all the fuss was about with the AI hurling final. Anyway, the yank wanted to know if Buck Rogers was the star player on the galway team as there were so many people with his name on the jersey! :P
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Lea-Bally-man
Junior A

Post by Lea-Bally-man »

BA

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

can anyone name the offaly team that played against meath that day?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Bord na Mona man
All Star

True Red wrote:can anyone name the offaly team that played against meath that day?
Funnily enough, I got to look at the programme of that match for a few minutes the other night.
As the teams line out as selected according to the commentary, I should be able to get the line up for it soon enough.

AZ might fill us in on the memorable cameo that Willie Reynolds made when he came on as a sub that day! :D

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

If Offall played Meath now (or any other similalry coloured team for that matter) would they even have 'away' jerseys to change into? Or would we be left with some of the jersey problems that have blighted club games in recent years, e.g. any time Coolderry and Kinnity play.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I recently happened upon a photograph of the Galway hurling team that played Kilkenny in the 1992 AISF and to my surprise they were sponsored by Connacht Gold that day.