A New era for the footballers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

A New era for the footballers

Post by Lone Shark »

It seems the endless circle of appoint, blame, fire begins again.

Kevin Kilmurray appears to be a shoo-in for the football managers job now. Personally without knowing a lot about him, I'd be a little disappointed. No great managerial track record, no obvious success training high quality teams, and little more than an albeit stellar career as a player behind him.

We've all heard the stories about the likes of Mac and Froggie wielding too much power in the dressing room. Surely a stronger character is needed to deal with this.

Any thoughts?

Percy Sledgehammer
Senior

Kilmurray

Post by Percy Sledgehammer »

I love this bit

"It’s understood that the Daingean native, who previously managed Dublin club side St. Brigid’s, was told before his appointment that he would not be the player’s choice and he now has a lot of convincing to do if complete harmony is to be restored in Offaly football."

They knew he wouldn't be liked and hired him anyway. Christ.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

I know

Post by Lone Shark »

One thing I will say here is that our county board has generally had a good eye for managerial talent. You couldn't say there were any footballing neanderthals among Lyons, Nolan, O'Kelly and Fahy, which is part of the reason why this surprises me. Maybe we're judging too soon.

I do remember Kilmurray training a Coolmine CS team who came down to play Sarans in Ferbane about 8 or 9 years ago. He was a complete head-the-ball that day, and his lack of leadership and calmness contributed to a one point defeat (2-3 to 2-2!!) in a mad game altogether. There was chaos, and he wasn't able for it. Doesn't bode well for a potential border clash in a Leinster Quarter Final against Leix.