New Jerseys Please - A call to all Fans

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
bazza
All Star

Re: New Jerseys Please - A call to all Fans

Post by bazza »

well done greatdayfortheparish for noticing that we are dire need of a new jersey.
i'd go for green white yellow with green shoulders, white togs, white socks with green and white.
bit like the minor hurlers wore in late 80's

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

I like the ladies jersey here,...
(from inpho.ie)

But yes, the current men's one needs to be updated.
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

Archangel
All Star
Club: Ballycommon

Post by Archangel »

or this one from o'neills catalogue

the chick looks good.... :P
Blasphemy is a victimless crime

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Archangel wrote:or this one from o'neills catalogue

the chick looks good.... :P
That's the one I was getting at!!

(jersey, not the chick)

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

We need a return to the solid green white and gold as worn by Fran below in 1998.

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/010304/

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

There is a lot to be said for the simpler jersey design. In an effort to over-elaborate, it can be funny how jerseys can easily be turned into some horrid complicated type thing, often to the players' detriment as well as the supporters - let's not forget the primary function, that the jersey be clear and distinctive for players to pick each other out.

It should be factored in too that the basic structure of the Offaly jersey is relatively ornate by itself. It'd be different if we were working with a plain one colour design like Cork or Limerick, but ours is quite distinctive by itself and doesn't need extra touches.

Where the county board should be looking to cash in would be in extra designs, either as "change" strips, or else just market them as "training" tops and let the quite substantial inherent demand within the county do the rest. It's ridiculously hard to try and buy the 1982 model strip which I think everyone loves, while there would be quite the case for a different "third" jersey, even if it's never used at any real games. I'm thinking something like the exact same as the 1982 colours, but with black instead of white. I know I'd buy that.

I'm going to add in two more tangents to this discussion as well. Firstly, should the GAA be thinking about following rugby down the road of more "skintight" jerseys? Obviously for the supporter that tends to be of a more mediocre conditioning that mightn't be in their favour, but surely there's a playing advantage in having a jersey that's not as easily pulled? Certainly most corner forwards I know would love to have a jersey that a corner back was unable to grab a fistful of just as they were about to make their run. Some county is bound to go down this road soon, should we not be trying to be at the vanguard?

Secondly, it's beyond a joke at this stage that you can't buy jerseys and other merchandise in O'Connor Park. The space is there, the crowds are there, and surely it makes more sense that the county board get the tenner mark up instead of Elverys or whoever? Most county grounds have this now and we really should be using that big open space just as you go through the turnstiles for this I think. Sell rain jackets on wet days, three types of jerseys, hoodies that get bought when the stand is colder than expected..... all for the cost of opening for a few hours a week? Seems crazy not to in my opinion.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Doon Massive
All Star

Post by Doon Massive »

Laois had a tighter azzuri number a couple of years ago I think, as did Donegal. Only lasted a year or maybe two.
If countries were to go this way, then two types of jersey could be produced, for us who have wintered well. Thats the case with some of the rugger jerseys.

For our jersey, a new simplier design is whats called for, I'd be in favour of the 70's version.....which is slightly rugger like.

We should all try a few on the O'Neills site, and send them to the county board!

Phoenix Arms
Junior B

Post by Phoenix Arms »

Personally my favourite Offaly jersey is the 1981 Leinster final version where we beat Laois. Green white and gold body with green sleeves and white collar. Similar to the previous years version which had white trim on the end of the sleeves. There’s a great picture of Matt Connor scoring the goal the beat the Dubs that day wearing the jersey in question. The 81 hurling final gave us the 3 stripes around the end of the sleeve and I was never a fan of that particular design.

If the county board wanted to go retro and put the white patch for black numbers on the back, I wouldn’t be averse to that either. Maybe it’s my age but I don’t see the numbers as easily as I used to.

Anyway that’s my 2 cents. Short green sleeves (plain) or for the long sleeve I’d go with the version Frank Weir is wearing in the link above. I’d forgotten about Frank actually. Could’ve been a great full forward, but farming took up all his time.

TheRedLad
Junior B

Post by TheRedLad »

From Offaly.gaa.ie

"New Offaly GAA Jersey In Shops Soon
08/11/2008

A new Offaly GAA jersey will be in the shops in early December.

The new jersey retains the traditional green, white and gold bands across the front. There will be a slight change to the back of the jersey and a different collar and sleeves. The jersey will also incorporate the new GAA logo and a new logo from Offaly GAA’s main sponsor, Carroll Cuisine."

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Truly a great day for the parish. All the parishes in fact.

Any pictures anywhere?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Any pictures anywhere?
TheRedLad's avatar.
Barry Whelahan is modelling it.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

The following is from offalyexpress.ie:

"New Offaly jersey welcomed

Date: 12 November 2008
By Staff Reporter
The proposed new Offaly jersey designed by O'Neill's for 2009 received a positive response from delegates at the October County Board meeting.
County Board PRO Brendan Minnock told delegates that more radical designs than the one on display had been rejected as he said the committee, which included players, had wanted to keep to the traditional Offaly design as much as possible.

He explained that sponsors Carroll Cuisine had asked that their logo on the front of the jersey be changed to their actual logo and he added that Carroll's generous sponsorship of the Offaly team was the longest running in the country.

County Board Treasurer Andy Gallagher also told delegates that not many counties were getting the level of sponsorship that Offaly were.

There were some reservations from the floor but once put to a vote, the new design was accepted almost unanimously with only four votes against.

The new jersey will be officially launched in the near future."

Whatever about the design, please say that this doesn't mean that the Carroll Cuisine logo will have its red backing as seen on its products. Put simply that would be atrocious and would completly ruin the jersey. Too many colours would be present and it would destroy the white band across the middle. Red has no place on an Offaly jersey, sure we'd end up looking like Carlow. Perish the thought. However my hopes are low, this looks ominous.

Treasurer
All Star

Post by Treasurer »

The red logo is indeed on the jersey and it looks grand imho.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

To be fair to Carroll Cuisine they have pumped a lot of money into the county teams and have stuck with us even during these baron times. I know it mightn't look great at first but to be fair that's the brand and the logo they're trying to push so its the least they deserve IMO.
The night is darkest before the dawn

OY13
Intermediate

Post by OY13 »

I wouldnt agree that carroll cuisine have pumped a lot of money into offaly down the years. For instance they gave something like 70 thousand to the conty a few yrs ago for sponsorship for the year but the tyrone county board was given 250 thousand. I know that a lot of it comes down to success and how often the jersey will be on the tv but it is still a significant difference.