Next Manager

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
azoffaly
All Star

Re: Next Manager

Post by azoffaly »

gutless08 wrote:
azoffaly wrote:
I will say this though - I'm pretty sure he had job offers since then. I'd be fairly confident in saying that your assertion that no other team wants him is way off the mark.
Whatever about saying the players 'wouldn't listen to him' (which I think is wrong by the way, most of the players involved back in 2003 would have good things to say about Paul O'Kelly), you are spot on with that remark LS. I know of at least 2 jobs he was offered.
oh god he is a highly sought after club manager ,possibly county consultant.
my question is what county manager jobs has he been offered?
Roscommon and Carlow are two I know of.
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

the Untouchable wrote:What about Mickey Moran....did a great job with Mayo, when he was there. A very astute manager....who is very big on discipline & would put some fire & drive back in the Offaly jersey.

Other than that, I think Larry Tompkins, John Maughan or Padraigh Nolan should be considered. Larry would be a great motivator on the line, certainly he'd get them fit & I think he'd be a driving force on the line!!! John Maughan has done a decent job everywhere he's been, I think he'd be a good manager for Offaly because he probably wouldn't like to think his last football job was over the Rossies & probably feels he has a point to prove that he's a better manager than he got credit for!!! Padraigh Nolan I think was tactically one of the best managers Offaly have ever had, didn't do a bad job with Kildare either & probably would jump at the chance to train this Offaly team again.

Untouchable, you're a brilliant analyst, and i respect you and your postings, but christ please don't let Larry Tompkins near the place

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

[oh god he is a highly sought after club manager ,possibly county consultant.
my question is what county manager jobs has he been offered?[/quote]

Roscommon and Carlow are two I know of.[/quote]

Thanks azoffaly.il take your word. Not exactly meath or even a laois but nonetheless a county team.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Bord Na Mona man, I don’t think there’s a manager who at some stage can’t be blamed for not making a switch in a game that may or may not have won them the game. Like think about Michael Bonds decision to leave Kevin Kinahan on Joe Deane in an All Ireland semi final when Joe was doing all manner of harm….he’s 7 or 8 points off him by half time…but they left him there & Kevin roasted him in the 2nd half!!! The reality was the in 97 Maurice Fitz was unplayable…but it was nothing to do with his pace that’s for sure…Pat Holmes did an excellent job on Roy Malone who was a lighting quick footballer. The reason for Mortimer playing corner back was due to Kerry having Mick Frank Russell in the other corner…he got young player of the year in 97, so obviously he needed to be marked too & Pat Holmes would have probably struggled on him too!!!!

I admit Maughan might not have done a great job with Fermanagh, but I think he was only with them 1 year & they were never capable of beating any of the big Ulster teams back then…and I think he did an ok job with the Rossies, he cleared out the wasters like Francie Grehan & Frankie Dolan…but Roscommon have a very limited panel to pick from & a bit like Offaly they probably need to be more realistic in what they are capable of achieving!!!

Maughan did get Crossmolina to win a club All Ireland as well so he can’t be that bad a manager.

As for Turks assessment to keep Larry Tompkins away from the Offaly…I’d have him there for one reason….Larry always struck me as a very passionate footballing man, who would demand his players die for the jersey, his time in Cork might have been considered bad after Limerick bet them 1 year (on a day when Maurice Gavin couldn’t miss) but I think he’d be decent manager to have involved with Offaly and one that wouldn’t tolerate the shapers and fancy Dan’s on the panel.

Honestly I think the county board will appoint another unheard of manager, with little to no management experience because from what I can see the county board of late have always appointed managers who they could control and dictate to.

Slan!!!
The Untouchable

Aweflee
Senior

Post by Aweflee »

the Untouchable wrote:Bord Na Mona man, I don’t think there’s a manager who at some stage can’t be blamed for not making a switch in a game that may or may not have won them the game. Like think about Michael Bonds decision to leave Kevin Kinahan on Joe Deane in an All Ireland semi final when Joe was doing all manner of harm….he’s 7 or 8 points off him by half time…but they left him there & Kevin roasted him in the 2nd half!!!
Slan!!!
That happened in 2000 when Pat Fleury, not Michael Bond, was the manager. A great decision!!!

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Apologies, I was thinking it was fluery alright, but I was in a bit of a rush leaving work when I was writing it & I convinced myself it was Michael Bond on the line!!! Great decision in hindsight, but if Cork were to have won the game we'd have said Fluery should have moved him...it was so obvious to all of us except Fluery!!!
The Untouchable

Sydthebeat
All Star

Post by Sydthebeat »

Can we throw in Liam kearns as a serious contender to the mix here.

Kearns did some great things with an average Limerick side from 00- 06. He brought them to division 1 football, a division 2 league final. He won 2 in a row munster u 21 titles with limerick, getting to an u 21 all ireland final in the process. He has a reputation for being able to toughen up team, something definitely required in offaly as shown by the game versus westmeath. the modern football game is as much about physique as it is about footballing skill. Perhaps an appointment like this could manage the u 21s as well with the aim of building for the future??? maybe if given enough time he could bring the best of the current minor squad through to senior level?

Granted his time at laois wasnt as productive as they would have hoped, but lets not forget he took over a team in decline after O Dwyer, a team of dissentents who had swelled heads after winning 1 leinster title and had the audacity to question o dwyers processes.

anyway, just throwing that in for discussion......

Jolly Roger
Junior B

Post by Jolly Roger »

Let the player's decide. They're ambition to succeed should be they;re only ceiling. Not money! Consult 5 or 6 of the more experienced committed players for they're opinions.

Form a 3 man selection committee to recruit a new manager with a member from players, county board and an external man (maybe even a business man who knows the qualities to look for in a manager.)

This panel would take a while to assemble so it needs to be done now. That way as much as time as possible can be afforded to the search and interview process.

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

Jolly Roger wrote:Let the player's decide. They're ambition to succeed should be they;re only ceiling. Not money! Consult 5 or 6 of the more experienced committed players for they're opinions.

Form a 3 man selection committee to recruit a new manager with a member from players, county board and an external man (maybe even a business man who knows the qualities to look for in a manager.)

This panel would take a while to assemble so it needs to be done now. That way as much as time as possible can be afforded to the search and interview process.
maybe jolly roger your on to something here. it puts more onus on the players to perform, eg cork after holland was removed.the buck stops here sorta thing.
there the guys that wear the jersey, il definetly welcome the input of the likes of slattery,mcnamee,mcmanus etc.
ok if they want a big name then go for it,if they want an unheard of or hungry or proven go with it and then let the players walk the line after that.

how would we pay for it?im not qualified to make a judgement on that? ultimately its up to the county board i guess. maybe they need to bring in a few innovators with ideas, hit the businessmen in offaly. maybe ask the advice of a paul bell,christy maye, etc .there more qualified in this than poor gutless.

how can laois afford o dwyer, westhmeath o shea o flatherty to a lesser extent carlow hayes bealin?
where do these countys all with an inferior tradition to offaly find the money?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

gutless08 wrote:
Jolly Roger wrote:Let the player's decide. They're ambition to succeed should be they;re only ceiling. Not money! Consult 5 or 6 of the more experienced committed players for they're opinions.

maybe jolly roger your on to something here. it puts more onus on the players to perform, eg cork after holland was removed.the buck stops here sorta thing.
there the guys that wear the jersey, il definetly welcome the input of the likes of slattery,mcnamee,mcmanus etc.
ok if they want a big name then go for it,if they want an unheard of or hungry or proven go with it and then let the players walk the line after that.

how would we pay for it?im not qualified to make a judgement on that? ultimately its up to the county board i guess. maybe they need to bring in a few innovators with ideas, hit the businessmen in offaly. maybe ask the advice of a paul bell,christy maye, etc .there more qualified in this than poor gutless.

how can laois afford o dwyer, westhmeath o shea o flatherty to a lesser extent carlow hayes bealin?
where do these countys all with an inferior tradition to offaly find the money?
First of all, we've already hit up a lot of the businessmen in the county in order to finance O'Connor Park. (In case of doubt, I agree with that policy - the stand will still be there long after the big name manager fecks off into the sunset - I just think it's ridiculous we haven't included any revenue generation in there like a bar or a supporters shop, but that's another debate). I don't think it's fair to keep treating them like an ATM.

Second of all, just because the other counties struck the jackpot by finding a hotelier or developer who all but wrote a blank cheque, doesn't make that a sustainable strategy. That's the same thinking that has the Eircom League in so much trouble. one guy like Ollie Byrne goes in and spends a bomb, everyone else spends a fortune trying to keep up, then the whole thing falls asunder. When you see clubs with good average crowds like Cork City getting into bother, then you know that the whole business model is banjaxed. We should be going to Congress and putting preventative measures in place so that when counties like that fall flat on their faces, they're not bailed out by money that was meant to be shared out among everyone.

I don't like the idea of giving the players that much power. It creates the wrong mindset, what happens if the guy they choose makes a few unpopular calls - do they they go back to Pat Teehan and say that they've changed their mind, they'd like someone else? It's the responsibility of the county board to pick the right man with everything in mind, not just appeasement.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

[

quote]

I don't like the idea of giving the players that much power. It creates the wrong mindset, what happens if the guy they choose makes a few unpopular calls - do they they go back to Pat Teehan and say that they've changed their mind, they'd like someone else? It's the responsibility of the county board to pick the right man with everything in mind, not just appeasement.[/quote]

the players should not pick the guy but i think they should have an input.
i wont talk about irish soccer as they dont even have a stadium themselves so we wont even compare.
my biggest worry is that it is the responsibility of the county board, hence the state of offaly football, ask anyone leaving o connor park after westhmeath and down games were they happy with the county boards choices.

finally ls who would be your choice to be the next manager all things considered?no more devils advocat :D

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

gutless08 wrote: the players should not pick the guy but i think they should have an input.
i wont talk about irish soccer as they dont even have a stadium themselves so we wont even compare.
my biggest worry is that it is the responsibility of the county board, hence the state of offaly football, ask anyone leaving o connor park after westhmeath and down games were they happy with the county boards choices.

finally ls who would be your choice to be the next manager all things considered?no more devils advocat :D
I wouldn't recommend putting our fingers in our ears and ignoring the lessons that soccer and rugby have to teach us. If a sport does something well, we should be looking to replicate or improve on it. If a sport does something badly, we should be trying to ensure that we avoid the same mistakes. That's good sense.

I don't think anyone leaving O'Connor Park after the Westmeath match or Down matches blamed the county board for what they saw. Management after the Westmeath game, players after the Down game, but County Board? No.

If it was down to me? Paul O'Kelly. No question. I'd understand if he told us to feck off, but I'd ask.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

gutless08
County player

Post by gutless08 »

Lone Shark wrote:
gutless08 wrote: the players should not pick the guy but i think they should have an input.

I wouldn't recommend putting our fingers in our ears and ignoring the lessons that soccer and rugby have to teach us. If a sport does something well, we should be looking to replicate or improve on it. If a sport does something badly, we should be trying to ensure that we avoid the same mistakes. That's good sense.

I don't think anyone leaving O'Connor Park after the Westmeath match or Down matches blamed the county board for what they saw. Management after the Westmeath game, players after the Down game, but County Board? No.

If it was down to me? Paul O'Kelly. No question. I'd understand if he told us to feck off, but I'd ask.
hold on on one hand you say county board is responsible for appointing managers and then you say we blamed roe, as i did also, but nobody wanted him,yet we got him,who appointed him.

thats like removing blame from fai for appointing staunton.

paul o kelly, that explains your staunch defence. maybe we should do a poll on the site?

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

I'd like to see a lot more money being generated by the county board but the last thing I'd like to see done with it is it being used to fill some high profile lads pockets.

The most successful counties in both hurling and football don't pay their managers but they do ensure their sets ups are in top order and that is where the money should be channeled.

Lets make the appointment within the county - (Kelly, Darby & maybe Phil Reilly are excellent candidates) and instead of €50-100K a year going into the arse pocket of some fella from Kerry or Derry or wherever, that money could be ploughed into underage coaching or providing adeqaute gym membership/facilities etc for our senior teams .

DD
All Star
Location: He's on the 45.. he's on the 21..he's on the 14..a shot..

Post by DD »

Lone Shark wrote: [.

Jaysus LS, you're a mile out with that. There were/are loads blaming the County Board after the Down game. Not for the performance on the night obviously, but for the horrendous mismanagement of our Senior Football set up over the last 5 years or more. Their contribution to that awful night cannot be dismissed..